Credit where credit is due (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a buddy who works at UNMH and he's burnt to a crisp. He is telling us that a young, healthy man in his 20s and a healthy man in his 40s passed away last week. He's taking the vac shot and is paranoid about getting together with us for a drink or something. I'd imagine he is representing the front line workers across this nation.

Just like everything else it affects everybody differently. My aunt and uncle had the virus right before Thanksgiving. My aunt is overweight, diabetic and in her seventies. Yes, she was extremely sick for quite a while but is now almost over it. My uncle who is 78 tested positive but nothing more happened than losing his senses of taste and smell. They are the type to wear masks even when at home.

My moms cousin caught the virus in early May. He is 87 years old. He is celebrating Christmas with his great grandkids this year.

There is not enough folks to fully staff the hospitals in this state. The government not allowing people to get regular check ups, non emergency procedures and elective surgery has caused huge layoffs and furloughs. Huge bonuses have been making the docs and nurses move to states that allow them to work.

This virus isn't going to go away. Are people willing to wear masks forever? Other viruses to come will be as bad or worse. I have never been one to run or hide from anything.

Now I know that most of you folks in the club are college educated. I probably have the least amount of "book learnin'" out of all of you, but mechanically the mask thing makes very little sense to me. How big is coronavirus? How much can a piece of cloth filter? If I am not sick how can I spread the virus?

They go back an fourth way too much on whether or not asymptomatic people can spread the virus.

There are many "experts" that say to wear a mask then there are those that are just as educated and experienced saying it is unnecessary. Who do we listen to?

I hate all of this division more than anything else that is happening right now.

America is on the brink of disaster and this virus isn't the cause.

One other thing to add to my rant while the garage is heating up:

I am extremely hard of hearing. I never realized how much I relied on lip reading before all of this mask crap. If you are wearing a mask and are talking to someone and you are asked to repeat yourself several times quit getting mad! Hearing loss is a disability.

This virus isn't going to go away. Are people willing to wear masks forever? Other viruses to come will be as bad or worse. I have never been one to run or hide from anything.

Now I know that most of you folks in the club are college educated. I probably have the least amount of "book learnin'" out of all of you, but mechanically the mask thing makes very little sense to me. How big is coronavirus? How much can a piece of cloth filter? If I am not sick how can I spread the virus?

They go back an fourth way too much on whether or not asymptomatic people can spread the virus.

There are many "experts" that say to wear a mask then there are those that are just as educated and experienced saying it is unnecessary. Who do we listen to?

I hate all of this division more than anything else that is happening right now.

America is on the brink of disaster and this virus isn't the cause.
I would say consider that masks are used by all medical personnel during surgeries. This has been the norm for the last hundred years in all operating rooms around the world. If masks were not used, most patients would get post op infections in their wounds. But , by using masks ( gloves , gowns, face shields, etc) , most patients do not get post op infections.
Some surgeries go on for hours, with many doctors and nurses in close contact with the patient, and their open wounds. We are asked to wash our hands for 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer, but before surgeries, all medical personnel are asked to wash their hand 3-5 minutes before entering the operating room.

Using a mask during this pandemic is an effective way to prevent virus spread, while we stand next to people for a few minutes, in line at a grocery store.

Our intact skin provides a strong barrier to protect us, but we have to wash our hands to remove some of the germs that will build up there . The social distancing reduces chances of breathing in air borne microorganisms. Do you want to camp right next to someone , or get a little distance from others to set up your camp? I like a little ground between me and another group.

I would consider wearing a mask the same as you carrying a gun for protection of yourself and others. Good for you, and those you would protect.
The mask is a good defense against the trillions of invisible covid viruses . A gun is a good defense against dangerous human or animal, but has no effect on a microscopic virus. It takes several "tools" in your toolbox to get the job done right.

We cannot know who has the virus and who does not, so wearing a mask is some protection against the unknown enemy. Just as we don't know who is carrying a gun or what their motives are.

Sadly, this pandemic may not be the last worldwide disease disaster. There could be another crisis like this in the future. Human over population will make disease spread all the more easier to happen. Nothing we can do about that, except continue doing the research to try to be more prepared.

We do have a choice of how to care for each other, so I will choose to wear a mask, wash my hands, and spread out a little from my friends, for a while. I will get the vaccine , when it is my turn. (Another choice we get to make).

WHY?, because I don't want to wear a mask any longer than is necessary. Once I am protected from getting or spreading this virus, I can go camping, travel, see my friends, play some softball, go to concerts, see a movie, eat at my favorite cafe, and a hundred other things we cannot do right now.
That's my thoughts on this issue. You all can choose your path through the woods, but I will follow a few hints on how to get to the other side of this COVID forest, without stepping in any traps or walking off a cliff in the dark.

I don't think my firearm point was taken the way I meant it.

I don't expect everyone to carry a firearm. If they don't want to or can't I will always mind my own business. I never will try to force my way of thinking on anyone. Even though I will look out for you I don't expect you to do the same for me.

I don't think my firearm point was taken the way I meant it.

I don't expect everyone to carry a firearm. If they don't want to or can't I will always mind my own business. I never will try to force my way of thinking on anyone. Even though I will look out for you I don't expect you to do the same for me.
I have your back, my brother.

There is not enough folks to fully staff the hospitals in this state. The government not allowing people to get regular check ups, non emergency procedures and elective surgery has caused huge layoffs and furloughs. Huge bonuses have been making the docs and nurses move to states that allow them to work.

Yes, in some ways it seems like trying to "save" our healthcare system actually backfired and shot us in the foot.

How big is coronavirus? How much can a piece of cloth filter?

An N95 mask can filter out the virus, a simple cloth mask cannot. However, a cloth mask can catch a whole lot of spit. If you have the virus and sneeze or cough into the cloth mask it is a whole lot better for everyone than coughing/sneezing into the air. This video is a little cheesy but shows it well:

If I am not sick how can I spread the virus?

If you don't have the virus, you can't spread it, but some people carry the virus with no symptoms and spread it to others. Not super related, but I came across this story a while back and found it very fascinating: Mary Mallon - Wikipedia

"It ain't over 'til it's over." Flattening the curve is also stretching it out.

True, but we now have two (!) vaccines approved for emergency use and being shipped out all over the US. In a few more months, everyone that wants a vaccine will have gotten one. That seems like a pretty good reason to spread it out! I would much rather get the vaccine than the virus.

I am sympathetic to arguements about destroying small businesses, government overreach/supressing people's freedoms, and preserving people's mental health (I have 4 small kids, I'm working from home now, and we are all crammed into a not-large house o_O). Like everything, there needs to be a balance. At least with masks we can still go out and support businesses if we want, while slowing the spread at the same time.

Last edited:
In a few more months, everyone that wants a vaccine will have gotten one. That seems like a pretty good reason to spread it out! I would much rather get the vaccine than the virus.

I hope lots of people that can get the vaccine and want to will get it. I have an immune system malfunction (Rheumatoid Arthritis) and cannot get the flu, COVID or any other vaccine unless I stop taking my medications that suppress my immune system. Of course, having a suppressed immune system does not serve me well with viruses, or even bacterial infections for that matter. If I want to get the vaccine, I have to stop taking my RA meds for weeks before the vaccination. Then I get to enjoy the inflammation, joint pain and damage associated with the RA condition. Then there is no telling how my overactive immune system will react to the vaccination since there haven't been any clinical trials to see how the vaccination works for people with malfunctioning immune systems. When I do get sick, I have to stop taking the RA drugs in hopes of getting my immune system to work better and clear the infections. And I have to be careful to not take a vaccine with a live virus and a suppressed immune system.

So I was wearing masks before they were en vogue; at the airport/in the plane, in Costco, at Wal Mart, etc. So I basically have to rely on the healthy population to get vaccinated to reduce the incidence of the disease as my only reasonable means of reducing my risk of catching it, besides me avoiding being around people. Being an anti-social, people-hating engineer does help me to avoid places with lots of people. I've been social distancing my whole life.

Last edited:
453dd56bca721658f0ccd25890bbfe9c.jpg
453dd56bca721658f0ccd25890bbfe9c.jpg

I think it is safe to say we can mostly all agree on a few things in here:

1. No one enjoys wearing a mask over his/her/their mouth and nose. No COVID, no mask in general (unless required by underlying conditions, as has been stated by others in this thread).

2. Some things, like social distancing and wearing a mask, have been proven many times over to help prevent the spread of COVID in areas where people congregate.

3. There are areas and scenarios where people congregate and mask wearing/social distancing is difficult. Eating and drinking establishments come to mind, hence them being sticky/hot topics when it comes to the spread of COVID.

4. No one wants to see small businesses close due to no fault of the business. Imagine how it must have been after a year or two into either The Great War or World War II, especially in Europe or Western Asia.

5. The media (I don't care if you lean left, right, into or against the wind, etc.) do what they do, which is look for the extremes and turn them into newsworthy topics. The concept of "spirit of the law vs. letter of the law" tends to get lost in the weeds. OH NO, NANCY PELOSI WENT INTO A HAIR SALON WITHOUT A MASK!!! OH NO, MELANIA TRUMP REMOVED HER MASK TO READ TO A GROUP OF KIDS FROM AFAR IN A HOSPITAL!!! LET'S CRUCIFY THEM!!! Please.

6. Most of us think our own judgement is sound. It probably is. I don't think this is the type of crew where anyone would knowingly get COVID and knowingly spread it on purpose. If he/she/they did, then I don't think they'd be an active or welcome part of this crew for very long. After spending time with Mauser and izula, I think this is a safe statement.

7. We can agree to disagree. If we can't, we collectively need to grow up some more.

8. The act of looking to place blame is fantastic as an emotional outlet, but poor towards finding a solution and moving forward. Always has, always will. Heck, look how placing blame after The Great War resulted in the onset of World War II from multiple angles.

On a personal note, the job hunt goes relatively poorly for me. With Sandia, UNM, and Kirtland, along with supporting defense contractors, I would have thought it would be easier for a Laser Jock to find a job in the area. Apparently not!

On a personal note, the job hunt goes relatively poorly for me. With Sandia, UNM, and Kirtland, along with supporting defense contractors, I would have thought it would be easier for a Laser Jock to find a job in the area. Apparently not!

Getting a job at Sandia or other Kirtland place is slow and tedious in normal times. Doing it during a pandemic and around Christmas does not help that situation. You have to be willing to be very patient and possibly find some other sort of rewarding work in the meantime.

Quick shoutout to @benjamintrd after I bumped into him at the Eubanks Costco. Great to meet you bud.

Nice to meet you also hope we can all get together soon. Love the mirrors!!!

I have an immune system malfunction (Rheumatoid Arthritis)
My wife is in the same boat as you with Rheumatoid arthritis. We try to avoid areas where there might be larger groups of people ,always wear masks in stores etc. We were just talking about the healthy people getting the vaccine and hopefully will help protect her once we get 70 percent or so vaccinated. Not sure how the vaccine will react with her meds but she sure as hell doesnt want to wear a mask forever.

And I do think doing trail rides is safe along with get togethers where we distance from each other is safe as well. I get outside everyday walking the dogs, or doing daytrips sightseeing etc. I go nuts if I am stuck inside for more than a couple of days!

8. The act of looking to place blame is fantastic as an emotional outlet, but poor towards finding a solution and moving forward. Always has, always will. Heck, look how placing blame after The Great War resulted in the onset of World War II from multiple angles.
The latest tweet from POTUS 45: "Made many calls and had meetings at Trump International in Palm Beach, Florida. Why would politicians not want to give people $2000, rather than only $600? It wasn’t their fault, it was China," the president wrote on Twitter. "Give our people the money!"

Just stoking that fire of blame .... like him or not, it is how he acts, and some say it is who he is.

The latest tweet from POTUS 45: "Made many calls and had meetings at Trump International in Palm Beach, Florida. Why would politicians not want to give people $2000, rather than only $600? It wasn’t their fault, it was China," the president wrote on Twitter. "Give our people the money!"

Just stoking that fire of blame .... like him or not, it is how he acts, and some say it is who he is.
He's always been that way. I didn't like him 30 years ago and still don't. He inherited his wealth. Has no idea what the word struggle means. His temper tantrums now just show he was never taught life lessons that most 8 year olds learn. He's just an agent of chaos. He gets off on pinning people against each other. He definitely has something going on with Russia. I'm sure he's trying to get a hotel in Moscow. He's probably done more damage to this country than any other president in history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom