Creaking 00 Cruiser Suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sup fellas, my Mom just bought a used 00 Landcruiser ( certified Toyota) whatever that's good for. Problem is, when you make sharp turns to the right, like parking lot maneuvers, there is a noise comming from the L side suspension. Sounds like metal creaking on metal. At first I thought it sounded like cv joint, but the noise wasn't consistent( typical clicking)

We took it back and had to convince the stealer to fix it. They said they found a loose tie rod ( replaced it). Mom took it home and says it still makes some noise, but not as bad. I haven't checked it out yet though. Is this just the nature of the beast, or should I be concerned?

Check the upper and lower shock bushings.
-B-

Not sure of the 100s but all others I've seen have mechanical stops to limit the wheel travel when turning. It' a rounds headed bolt that hits a plate. Crawl under there and look around. When you find it give it some grease, that usually takes care of it.

This is a well-known problem on the toyota minitrucks/4runners. There's a steering limit stop on either side (if you look from under the front of the vehicle, you might see it). There's a cheesy plastic acorn cap that covers a bolt stud, and that's what hits the stops (a metal plate). Those plastic caps eventually fall off, and the result is a loud, grating sound when you turn sharply (like a U-turn in a parking lot)...cheap and easy solution is to put a large dab of MP grease on the bumpstops.

Thanks for the input. I've checked the turn limiter bolt doohikey, when the wheel is turned sharply the steering rack hits its limit before the bolt doohikey( in either direction). Have'nt checked the shock bushings. I'll do that today.

I cycled the steering while I had my hand on the upper ball joint, (the noise occurs when the wheels are turned between 1/4 of the way and all the way) and I could feel (for lack of a better word) the vibration of the noise. Did I lose anyone. Ball joint looks OK, but sounds like metal rubbing on metal. Never does it when driving straight even on very bumpy roads. It will do it after I have turned straightened the wheel and apply the brakes.

>> Never does it when driving straight even on very bumpy roads. <<

Then it's not the shock bushings.
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom