Crazy Question about FR/Rr lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1997 FJ80, I've had my truck for 4 years and I am now trying to sell it. Potential buyer wanted to check the lockers. I could sworn that I have tested them but we could not get them to engage, lights would not turn on so I thought maybe the bulbs are out.. so I pulled the dash and found this (see pic) bulbs were taped over. We also tried driving it off road and no luck either..

Is it possible they were removed from the factory? I have the switch and its connected to a wire harness. Also (see pic) of rear axle, no rear diff lockers actuator. Am I crazy??

IMG_8832.jpg

IMG_8833.jpg

Take a picture of the build sticker on the driver's door. On the bottom line is will have a K294 code if it was factory 3X locked. If it is K292 then it was not. The same wiring harness was installed in both but a previous owner most likely had installed the switch trying to fool someone into believing it had lockers. The tape covering the light sockets is also a factory thing.

The actuator is on the passenger side of the axel, can you take another picture ?

Take a picture of the build sticker on the driver's door. On the bottom line is will have a K294 code if it was factory 3X locked. If it is K292 then it was not. The same wiring harness was installed in both but a previous owner most likely had installed the switch trying to fool someone into believing it had lockers. The tape covering the light sockets is also a factory thing.

sure enough K292..

4B737CFE-9C19-41FD-978D-1BFA20545D06.jpeg

wtf-simpson-what-the-****-tom-delonge-hiding-wtf.gif

LC_PaintTrim_Codes_IMG_0877.jpg

This is the sticker you're looking for. It's on the driver's door sill. Pic stolen from @TX FJ80

The above 80 is unlocked. See the k292?

There have been stories of dubious sellers adding a locker switch to the dash just to make it look like it's locked in order to increase resale value. You could very well have fallen victim to this scam.

Non-locked axle. and I don't see an air line for an ARB.

NO difflocks.

You don't have a triple locked LC.

I hope you didn't buy it thinking you had lockers.

It could 'identify' as a Locked Truck in today's world, so who's to say.....right? ;)

Somebody did. See post #1

Someone: Hello, I'm interested in the Land Cruiser you have for sale. Is it locked?

Someone else: Hi! Yes it's locked. But I have the key. When do you want to look at it?

View attachment 3274890

This is the sticker you're looking for. It's on the driver's door sill. Pic stolen from @TX FJ80

The above 80 is unlocked. See the k292?

There have been stories of dubious sellers adding a locker switch to the dash just to make it look like it's locked in order to increase resale value. You could very well have fallen victim to this scam.

Actually.....given the age of our Land Cruisers and in most cases 'multiple owners' the door sticker only tells us what the vehicle was 'born' with (or without).

The only way to be sure IF a vehicle has a 'selective' locker is to look at the differential(s) AND drive it.

Actually.....given the age of our Land Cruisers and in most cases 'multiple owners' the door sticker only tells us what the vehicle was 'born' with (or without).
More accurately it tells you what the door was  originally attached to.

More accurately it tells you what the door was  originally attached to.
True. A door might not even be original to the vehicle (check against VIN), good point.

Back when I was shopping, I asked a guy if it had lockers and he said yes and sent me a picture of the power door lock switch. I asked for the Vin or a picture of the sticker and he said he was uncomfortable with that. No idea if he was playing with me or not, but wasn't cheap enough for me to drive that far

1997 FJ80, I've had my truck for 4 years and I am now trying to sell it. Potential buyer wanted to check the lockers. I could sworn that I have tested them but we could not get them to engage, lights would not turn on so I thought maybe the bulbs are out.. so I pulled the dash and found this (see pic) bulbs were taped over. We also tried driving it off road and no luck either..

Is it possible they were removed from the factory? I have the switch and its connected to a wire harness. Also (see pic) of rear axle, no rear diff lockers actuator. Am I crazy??

View attachment 3274815

View attachment 3274820
Show us a pic of the switch you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom