Builds Crazy Old Man on a Mountain 1987 "MOXIE" FJ60 Build!!! ***PRAYIN for a WOODEN roof *** (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WSOPgold2012

MoxieMan
SILVER Star
Threads
Crazy old man containment thread!! It never dawned on me to do a build thread...as i have ZERO wrenching skills. But...figured id give it a go to keep my madness in 1 spot!!

Bought a cabin in Colorado jus West of Denver at 9500' back in April 2012 and knew my Car at the time a Civic...wasnt gonna help me haul materials or get up+down in the winter. So the search began. In June 2012 i spotted a Craigs List ad for an '87 60 with aprox 175k miles and a home made roof rack...I gave $4250!! It was amazingly helpful hauling materials/debris and getting me up+down in the winter and continues to do so.

Joined this forum in Dec 2012...which has been as valuable! A huge Thanks to this forum everyone i've learned from + continue to learn alot about my rig. THANKS!!

Things I've done:

-New H55 tranny AND New T-Case installed @cruiseroutfit
-Replaced gawd awful bucket seats and black racing steering wheel back to original
-installed front heating core as it had zero heat
-installed an inline radiator fluid heater to help with cold starts (pre Sniper) NEVER worked!
-replaced the carb 3 times (never right)
-Installed Sniper EFI (amazing) + Man a Fre header
-set of 33"s...Falkens. I like em.
-replaced windshield
-replaced rear tail gate (cldnt find Freeborn red :( ...turns out it was originally Freeborn Red :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: )
-Front knuckle/Axel rebuild-Low Range Offroad Kit
-Tie Rod End kit 555 Cruiser Outfitters
-Front Bembos + Pads
-Shocks Bilstein 5125s
-Stabilizer Old Emu
-New Wheels + Tires! 17" TRDs covered with 32 ish Geolanders
-Bowfin Cruiser Roof Rack. @dogfishlake ordered!
-gave it a bath/detail to get rid of 1st layer of filth. (Came out amazin especially interior)
-Scheel-Mann Vario XXLFs ordered!!! Rear bench seat reupholstered to match Scheel-Mann Front seats.

-enjoyed MANY cigars while drivin around the mountains (humidor full)

Things i'm doing:

-Body + Paint. Summer spa vacation with @kelly saad In process!
-Sound Deadening
- OEM Rear Cargo sliding Windows. THANKS FJ40GURU
-All new @orikawa Panels!

-Heart Transplant 2f >> LS3 C&C @TRAIL TAILOR
-80s Axel +Coil Conversion + all that goes with that
-under body Lizard skin Frame blasted + painted
-Clean + respray engine bay

-Front bumper Aluminum @TRAIL TAILOR (ordered)
-Rear Bumper Trail Tailor Aluminum (ordered)
-Sliders (bc i'm tired of hvn to jump in my rig) Trail Tailor
-Aluminum 40 ish gallon Long Range tank (ordered) Trail Tailor

-install Original radio + inclinometer. (rethinking this and leaning twds updating)

Things i wanna do:

-build out back with Bed, Fridge ect--leaning twds camper!!
-Check out some old Mining trails
-hit the road with a camper!! Winnebago Micro Minnie FLX | New Off-Grid Travel Trailer - https://www.winnebago.com/models/product/towables/travel-trailer/micro-minnie-flx the Efficient appliances and solar grab me!! 4400 lbs dsnt worry me!!

Other than that the rig sits as i got it and has been a great all around rig.

Many thanks to all here that post their experiences...it has + continues to be a great help.

Chris😊

Screenshot_20210214-004306~2.png

Screenshot_20210214-003913~2.png

Screenshot_20210214-003756~2.png

Screenshot_20210214-005239~2.png

Screenshot_20210214-005431~2.png

Last edited:
Well, 1st go atn
Cool truck! Never heard of an in-line radiator fluid heater. Might have to look into that, my truck is very slow to warm in winter.

-Ed

Kat's 13150 1500 Watt Aluminum Circulating Tank Heater Amazon product ASIN B000BQUUR6

Well...1st go at it was installed backwards 😂🤣😂😊 but even when installed "properly" i never could get it to work...1 i had was smthn like this

Screenshot_20200208-085845.png

Crazy your at 9800’ and trees still grow. Here in N. Oregon the timberline is at 5800’.
View attachment 2205162
Top of the Palmer Chairlift is 8500’, your another 1300’ higher, no wonder your crazy😆🤣😆
Lack of oxygen + human contact make a man looooopy! 😂🤣😂😊

Being snowed in an A-frame cabin at 9800’ Without IH8MUD and you’d be screwed! :rofl:
id have lost what little composure i have left 😂🤣😂😊 was really nice to be able to source best parts for current work tbh!!!

Having grew up in Leadville at over 10,000 ft (4' of snow, up hill both ways from October to June), I understand how cabin fever can get to a person. A pair of X-country skis and dog would be a great accessories for that beautiful 60. Thanks for being part of the community. Crawling the old mining trails in an old Toyota has got to be one of my favorite activities.

Love it! Stay crazy old Mountain man and keep us posted on the progress on that mountain rig!

Have decided on the 5125s...

Need advice on front shocks.... 1st pic is whats on my rig is. 2nd pic the options! #TY
Screenshot_20200209-094641.png
Screenshot_20200209-095230.png

Having grew up in Leadville at over 10,000 ft (4' of snow, up hill both ways from October to June), I understand how cabin fever can get to a person. A pair of X-country skis and dog would be a great accessories for that beautiful 60. Thanks for being part of the community. Crawling the old mining trails in an old Toyota has got to be one of my favorite activities.

I grew up in Walden, CO at 8100’ and winters were long and lots of snow. Leadville was one of the places we thought people were crazy living in. :rofl:

snowmobiles were our winter necessities.

love that snow!

I grew up in Walden, CO at 8100’ and winters were long and lots of snow. Leadville was one of the places we thought people were crazy living in. :rofl:

snowmobiles were our winter necessities.

love that snow!
Crazy? You have a point there. But Walden? That cold wind that blows right through you.. Leadville seemed warm in comparison, but hindsight isn't really 20/20. 😆

Finally dug out.. Only took 2 hours not so bad....considering my chute rotate switch is busto and the wrong part came.....kinda sux makin passes without blowing snow...watste of time + energy
20200209_110553.jpg
😝😜😳😭😢

20200207_090040.jpg

Last edited:
I grew up and live in Los Angeles... What's all that white stuff ??? Could I still wear my flip-flops ?

Had some white pellets that fell today for about 5 minutes that an old-timer called 'hail'

;) :steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom