crazy MPG (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so, I've only owned my FJ60 for about 3 weeks and finally got to filling her up again. I reset the trip odometer because I wanted to see how many MPG's I was averaging. After 2 weeks, I filled her up today waiting to see how many MPG's i'm averaging. Well my trip odometer was at 214 from full and towards the bottom. I filled up up at 11.2 gallons. I did the math of dividing the trip odometer miles of 214 by the 11.2 gallons used to refill. Well I got 19.2 MPG's!?

here's some things to consider; I do drive it slow, even though it has 305xxx miles on the chassis the engine was rebuilt about 11k miles ago, no EGR, aftermarket carb.

original engine, how is this possible? It has factory size tires/rims, no cats, no egr, 3 row radiator. am I doing my math wrong or does this sound right? (original engine too, rebuilt as stated above)

DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING UNDER THAT HOOD.

Or, check your math..................:lol:

I am too but I keep redoing the math over and over and come up with the same results. I'm gonna drive it for a couple more days and refill it again. Last time I refilled it was about 2 weeks ago and I do use it just about everyday.

The 2F won't get 19 mpg downhill with a tail wind.

Your odo could be off. Could probably check it with a GPS (real one, not a cell phone) that will record a track. Do that on a long trip and you'll find your answer.

Your neighbor must have found a 5 gallon can of old gas in the corner of his garage, didn't want to chance it in his car, couldn't think of anything else to do with it, so last week while you were sleeping....

You've only gone through one tank and that's not enough to properly track mpg. Continue recording miles driven and gallons used and after accumulating more data you can then calculate an accurate average mpg. Do this and you'll see that mpg drop like a rock. That's the harsh reality of driving a FJ60.

Statistically your MPG is not even on the graph. Maybe your odometer is wrong. Calibrate it against mile markers to check.

But it doesn't really matter. All that really matters is that you are stoked with your 60. :)

What jherre1 said... If you said the needle was down to the bottom, 11.2 gallons would only give you about half a tank. Something is not right.

I say your sending unit in the tank sounds off.

The best I get in my Fuel Injected 62 is 14.7 mpg.

What jherre1 said... If you said the needle was down to the bottom, 11.2 gallons would only give you about half a tank. Something is not right.

what he said, are you sure you really "filled it up"?

At least give it a few more tanks to average out.

My '89 62 when it was stock would do 17-19mpg but only when it was at the 4k desert altitudes it lived its life before me. At my low elevation it would get about 15 which is still unicorn territory. I always had a GPS running to account for odometer discrepancies.

The first drop was a lift and running 33's. 9.5s then 12.5s and then 10.5s. Next drop was a roof rack. Then a tent on it. Then sliders and front and rear heavy bumpers.

Now I've ruined it and it gets up to 24mpg. :p Wonder what it would do back low and on 30-31" tires?

fj62_coast.jpg

Your neighbor must have found a 5 gallon can of old gas in the corner of his garage, didn't want to chance it in his car, couldn't think of anything else to do with it, so last week while you were sleeping....

Haha, I've thought about doing that to a buddy--just putting a little in every day or two and listen to him brag about the great mpg he was getting..

Problem is it's expensive enough to keep my own rides fueled up!

What size tires? Tire size will affect how much mileage is shown on the odo.
Get a GPS. Top off tank. Set trip mileage at zero on GPS. Run 100 or so miles. Fill up. Divide miles traveled by gallons pumped.

FWIW, I had a '74 FJ55, 4 speed, running 31/10.50-15, de-smogged, vacuum retard disabled, 6-1 headers. Best I ever got with it was 22 mpg, don't remember the circumstances. Averaged about 18. Then I blew the engine, put in a 327 and turbo 400 and it all went to hell. Pulled the boat well though.

Currently I'm getting around 14 with the rig below.

11 gallons would not fill up the tank from near empty, something is wrong with that number. 214 miles to a tank is pretty much the norm from my perspective for these trucks. (at least that's near where I'm at after adjusting for tire size)

For comparison's sake, here are my last few fill ups. Also note this is before converting for the 33in tires. (the second down was less due to a lot of idling when I was burping the cooling system)

Screenshot_2015-05-07-21-36-35 by Darrell Vaughn, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom