1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crawler Installed

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by sleeoffroad, Mar 22, 2004.

1. sleeoffroad

sleeoffroad Supporting Vendor

Well, some things went better than others at the shop. We finally have the crawler installed and operational. It is awsome. The crawl ratio is close to 120:1 and you can really notice it.

However, it does not fit as advertised in our 80's. I am not blaming anyone, just wanted to put the facts out there. We will be talking to Marks in Australia about this. There were some fitment issues to the US spec transfercase that we overcame with some grinding.

The more serious issue is that it does not fit a truck with a 2" body lift. I still had to remove the center console and cut a big hole in the floor. I think they never had it behind the auto tranny and thus it was further forward in the truck and might clear the floor.

Here is a pic for those interested. I know some think we are having way to much fun at the shop, but this is all done in the name of research. ::)

2. fj55-100

fj55-100 SILVER Star

Now for the sake of conversation, say you have a 100 tcase in your 55 and loads of room ,as my gear options are limited , i am extremley interested,1 how bad was the fit , 2 will i have to sell my 40 to purchase one ,
    Evan

3. Junk

Junk

[quote author=sleeoffroad link=board=2;threadid=13522;start=msg125102#msg125102 date=1079973131]
    this is all done in the name of research. ::) [/quote]

Yeah, I got your research alright. :flipoff2:

Will be looking forward to hearing how it was on the trail.

4. actionjackson

actionjackson

That is amazing!!! I got the 3" body lift in so I'm wondering how much I will need to cut?? Please let me know when you are done so I can come down and ride shotgun!! I really appreciate as much info as you can offer regarding the install. Do you have an article posted up on the site yet? I definately want one now :'(

Shawn Jackson
    Fort Collins, CO
    shawn@actionjackson.com
    970-282-1307

[​IMG]
    94 FJ80, OME J Springs, 3" body lift, 37 SSR's on 17" xtreme alloys, 5.29's, factory lockers, custom sliders, tjm front and rear bumpers, WARN 12000, and some good ol carnage!

5. sleeoffroad

Shawn, I think you would still have to cut. It is more than 1" into the cab on mine. Also you would have to remove the gastank to install it, and cut a fair bit of the tank off to make it work. My truck will be down for some time to get the rear-end repaired, but sure, when running you can come for a test drive.

Evan, not sure if it fits the 100 series tcase. Also how much is your 40 worth. Retail is AU$3500 plus shipping. :)

6. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

guys, you need to use a bigger BFH. Everything will fit just fine after that...
    E

7. mabrodis

mabrodis

So, the crawler part is just a bolt-on part, you don't have to pull the t/c or split it or anything? That's what I've heard, just curious how that works. I'm trying to think of why Toyota designed in a 'tap-off' piece like this, well actually not a 'tap-off', but the power goes out one shaft and in another, seems to easy, I always knew Toyota rocked! :)

Christo, is this a sealed unit, or any spy photos from inside it? :) Or is it simple, just high precision gears, etc.

8. sleeoffroad

You have to remove the tcase to install it. You also have to split the tcase. You remove the old input shaft and it is replaced with a new one that is supplied with the kit. Essentially the input shaft now goes into the crawler box, the it comes back out the crawler box in the same spot but to a sleeve that is around the input shaft the drives the gear to the other side of the transfer case. So you either run the crawler in 1:1 or 3.05:1. I will have more pics on my site soon.

We did not open the unit. No need to for install. I assume just a planetary set of gears in there.

9. sleeoffroad