Crap ....!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
After a uneventful long (3000 mile) trip, a rock managed to shatter the entire sun roof glass about 40 miles from home! :'( I'm going to call the usual sources like Dan, carparts.com and a few other wrecking yards. If anyone has other info, let me know.

Thanks.
'96

Dude, that sucks. I need to email you anyway with some info. I've just been super busy. Talk to you later.

How does a rock hit the sunroof?

Just curious ???

Hell if I know. This has never happened to me on any of my vehicles!

That sux.... but there is a small silver lining.

If you get a new one, you'll be the only 80 series here that doesn't have a wind leak from their sunroof seal. The felt seal around the sunroof is actually part of the glass. So, I guess you can look forward to that.

Next. Have you checked with your insurance company. If that falls under glass breakage, like a windshield, you may have a lower deductable. Mine's 100 bucks. I'd check with em before paying for the glass.

Good luck!

Doesn't that sunroof cost like 2 grand?

[quote author=wob link=board=2;threadid=9658;start=msg84804#msg84804 date=1073320923]
Doesn't that sunroof cost like 2 grand?
[/quote]

Brutal luck - ya, IIRC, you can't just replace the glass, it's the entire mechanism,...I though that Dan had mentioned that once when someone was asking about replacing the leaking seals...I hope that this isn't the case :-\

63201-60023, LIST $838.36

Could have been a meteor! I know it sounds crazy but a fellow i work with had his windshield shattered by a rock while he was standing next to his truck, in an open field!! Concluded it was a meteor.?*#%

Dunno, it could be a meteor I guess. It was snowing and there was salt on the ground.

I was looking at the FSM and it didn't look too difficult to swap the glass. Has anyone done this job by any chance?

Ali

Weld in a piece of sheet metal. No more leaks :).

cruiserparts.net recently offered me a used sunroof glass for $150 when I was looking at a 91 for my brother with that problem. I believe they are all the same. Call James.

Thanks. I'll call James.

Another guess I have is that perhaps a snow plow was clearing snow on the opposite side of the hwy and a rock/ice chunk came over to my lane?

Ali

Perhaps an odd question , but 'how' did you conclude it was indeed a 'rock' that was the culprit ?

[quote author=Tyler link=board=2;threadid=9658;start=msg84944#msg84944 date=1073338089]
Perhaps an odd question , but 'how' did you conclude it was indeed a 'rock' that was the culprit ?
[/quote]

Maybe it was the note that was attached to it. :eek:

On a seroius note, there are two different versions of the glass.

I have been looking in the catalog and I can't see why you couldn't interchange them. That widens the donor pool a bunch.

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=9658;start=msg84947#msg84947 date=1073338451]
Maybe it was the note that was attached to it. :eek:
[/quote]

At least the deer are getting wiser ! Last I herd ;) , they were simply leaping onto they're victims hoods . Now they're chucking rocks with hand written notes ... must be a Xmas thing :D

T

I"m very curious about the sunroof's breakage. Did it fall all over in peices (typical safety glass), or did it break but mainly stay in place due to an internal membrane like a windshield would (typical laminated safety glass. Inquiring minds want to know!!

DougM

Try this site and look under 'roof glass' . If a 94 or 92 is the same , and this is referring to the moon roof glass then there are a few rigs on this junkers site that might suffice .. approx $325

http://www.nix99.com/asp/parts/Default.asp

[quote author=concretejungle link=board=2;threadid=9658;start=msg84853#msg84853 date=1073328537]
Could have been a meteor! I know it sounds crazy but a fellow i work with had his windshield shattered by a rock while he was standing next to his truck, in an open field!! Concluded it was a meteor.?*#%
[/quote]

I have never heard about this before. I am just lucky that in our tradition the stars coming out of the river to join in heaven. So nothing can come down. :D

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom