Crap - Body seam rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Changing out my rear hatch/tailgate weatherstrip with the new stuff I got today, and saw two sections of the body seam pinch weld that have rusted away. From the outside it doesn't look like it's turned into severe cancer yet, but I fear it will soon, and the lack of support for the weatherstrip I think could end up exacerbating that by not allowing a decent seal. There's a Cruiser specific shop not too far from me that I'm thinking I'll take it to to see what they can do to repair and protect both spots (be nice if I can have them install a new windshield and reseal the gutter with some minor rust repair of there too).

@CruiserShop what do you think?

Rust 01.jpg

Rust 02.jpg

Changing out my rear hatch/tailgate weatherstrip with the new stuff I got today, and saw two sections of the body seam pinch weld that have rusted away. From the outside it doesn't look like it's turned into severe cancer yet, but I fear it will soon, and the lack of support for the weatherstrip I think could end up exacerbating that by not allowing a decent seal. There's a Cruiser specific shop not too far from me that I'm thinking I'll take it to to see what they can do to repair and protect both spots (be nice if I can have them install a new windshield and reseal the gutter with some minor rust repair of there too).

View attachment 2329170

View attachment 2329171

Grind what you can clean, rust convert and oil/paint. Slap a seal on there while you decide what you want to do.

That’s a pretty common spot. Do as suggested and cut the rust out and grind it smooth. Prime it, seam seal the joint and paint it.

If you have access to a welder, bend up an L section and tack it to the body long the lower side of the lip- cut it small enough so the seal hides it

If you don’t weld, you can probably jb weld a popsicle stick size strip of metal across the area you cut. All the piece needs to do is provide a mounting area for the pinch style seal

Super common rust spot. We replace with a new lip. I have a FJ60 right now we just did the repair on I can show you. What's the condition of the seam underneath your carpet?

That’s a pretty common spot. Do as suggested and cut the rust out and grind it smooth. Prime it, seam seal the joint and paint it.

If you have access to a welder, bend up an L section and tack it to the body long the lower side of the lip- cut it small enough so the seal hides it

If you don’t weld, you can probably jb weld a popsicle stick size strip of metal across the area you cut. All the piece needs to do is provide a mounting area for the pinch style seal
Worth a shot, depending on what I can get for a quote from the Land Cruiser Shop versus the cost of the Tig setup I've been looking for an excuse to invest in 😂

@CruiserShop the seam under the carpet actually looks good. The pics show the worst of it. As far as the bits of gutter and roof rust I'll have to bring it to you guys one afternoon and have you look at it for a quote.

Buy a used gas mig and go to town on it. Great place to learn. Zero consequences. Mig and gear will cost you $500 total and youll be enabled.

017815F6-E192-40F2-9612-DAB91EF093CE.jpeg

Heres mine. I took joy in doing a scrappy job with bits of spare sheet that i fished from the trash. Was fun. Thing about welding. If you dont like what youve done you grind away and do over.

The lip isn't a big deal, but it looks like the face of the panel has some significant rot. That panel will be rotted through to the other side, so treating one side will be a temporary fix.

Gotta cut all the cancer out and replace for a permanent fix.

Buy a used gas mig and go to town on it. Great place to learn. Zero consequences. Mig and gear will cost you $500 total and youll be enabled.

View attachment 2335537
Heres mine. I took joy in doing a scrappy job with bits of spare sheet that i fished from the trash. Was fun. Thing about welding. If you dont like what youve done you grind away and do over.
I actually consider myself very good with mig 😁

I'm trying to use this as an excuse to invest in a Tig setup though so I can make the welds nice and clean and pretty. Great for sheet metal practice, since my Tig experience is with inconel and stainless ducting.....

Problem is, like @GLTHFJ60 says, there looks to be some rot that's spread into the panel, and that's where my skillset ends. No experience with sheet metal work and I'd rather pay to have it done right the first time.

View attachment 2329170

View attachment 2329171
You should see what I am dealing with at the moment, lol. Check out my build thread!

If you're very good with MIG @Spook50 , then it's not that hard to do. There are no metal layers in that section of the body that I recall. Cut it open, assess, then weld in a replacement piece of 16ga.

If you're good with mig this is beyond simple. The battle is already won. Cut/grind out the bad metal, clean out the inside and repaint, then bomb with some anti-rust like fluidfilm. Cut a new piece of sheet, paint with zero-rust and butt-weld it in place. This area is good thick metal. The thing with rust is that lots of times there is one small place that is bad and right next to it is perfect. In this case i bet you'll need to cut out more than the rusty area just to get access. Rather than buying a tig for this I'd invest in a die grinder.

Mine looks like that too in a few places. This photo looks bad but it seems to be localized

20200523_102256.jpg

I stocked up on masks for Covid. I'm a baaaaad person!!! Is rust dust bad for you? I've inhaled my fair share. It's not like silica or asbestos, I think it just comes back up. Apparently not very dangerous for the amount I inhale.

But for sure on the eye protection. I got some shards stuck in my eye from the dremel a few years ago. That was not fun and took two visits to the eye doctor to get them all out. Thank you Canadian free health care!!! I thought I was using the glasses at the time but I guess I did the old librarian peek above them.

I stocked up on masks for Covid. I'm a baaaaad person!!! Is rust dust bad for you? I've inhaled my fair share. It's not like silica or asbestos, I think it just comes back up. Apparently not very dangerous for the amount I inhale.

But for sure on the eye protection. I got some shards stuck in my eye from the dremel a few years ago. That was not fun and took two visits to the eye doctor to get them all out. Thank you Canadian free health care!!! I thought I was using the glasses at the time but I guess I did the old librarian peek above them.
I've said dozens of times since this covid crap started that the only thing that'll get me to put on a mask is hearing someone scream "GAS GAS GAS!!!" again. But that's not entirely true, since I'll still wear a respirator when dealing with noxious fumes or fine dusts (gypsum, asbestos, rust, aerosol paints, etc.).

And Fluid Film... I found that makes a big difference. It's safe but it's nice to not inhale sheep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom