Crankshaft Timing Pulley Removal (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The last step of the FSM Timing Belt replacement AND OTRAMM's video show the need to remove the crankshaft timing pulley. I can't figure out why. Is it to inspect it? If so what am I inspecting? I am trying to figure out if this is a necessary step in the process. Please explain why or tell me I don't need to do it. Thanks.

IMG_5137.jpg

You can't get the timing belt around the pulley and properly align the belt on the crank gear if the pulley is still on the end of the crankshaft. I always check the pulley for bulging/separating rubber or any other damage.

The picture in the FSM looks like they are showing the removal of the crankshaft gear.

You do NOT need to remove the crankshaft gear unless replacing the front crankshaft seal.

Last edited:
You can't get the timing belt around the pulley and properly align the belt on the crank gear if the pulley is still on the end of the crankshaft.

The picture in the FSM looks like they are showing the removal of the crankshaft gear.

You do NOT need to remove the crankshaft gear unless replacing the front crankshaft seal.
Thank you! This clears it up. Got the pulley off- it was the picture that was throwing me off.

It's not a bad idea to replace the seal now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom