Crankshaft timing cover Off - bolt length question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexFJ

SILVER Star
Threads
the PO or his mechanic really screwed up the bolts on the crankshaft timing cover. Now I'm not sure the screws are the right dimension. Anyone have the dimensions of these B and C so I can double check their length?
Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 7.19.16 PM.png

Starting from the one that is being unscrewed going clockwise. looks like I have 4 Cs where Bs should go. Why do these require longer lenths, or is it that the two shorter length bolts have limited bored out space hence they need to be shorter (but should be longer).

C016BABC-5E56-4C20-8A98-50F5170ED92E_1_201_a.jpeg

What's up with the Camshaft gear being red?

82479FC1-F6AB-4761-82DD-899506B8337A_1_105_c.jpeg

Seeing that I may need to prop up the engine by dropping the transmission/TC about 6" to get the camshaft out to get the plate off. I'll think I'll skip replacing that gasket. Fingers crossed it's not the one that's leaking.

Anyone have the dimensions of these B and C so I can double check their length?

From FSM:

Untitled8.png

I think the lengths have to do with orientation of the plate and the block behind it. Some holes in the plate have engine block behind them and thus need to be shorter and some holes don't so they can be longer. There is also an 'E' bolt which if memory serves is where the pipe for the oil cooler mounts on the ends of the bolts where they come through the backside of the plate.
HTH

Last edited:
From FSM:

View attachment 2269747

I think the lengths have to do with orientation of the plate and the block behind it. Some holes in the plate have engine block behind them and thus need to be shorter and some holes don't so they can be longer. There is also an 'E' bolt which if memory serves is where the pipe for the oil cooler mounts on the ends of the bolts where they come through the backside of the plate.
HTH
Well this is just interesting. I was thinking the same reasons for the different lengths.

From your diagram and table, if you have an oil cooler then E bolts are just D bolts. Which still are missing from my docs.

Which version of the FSM is this? I'm looking at the 3FE engine repair manual supplement and the the LC Repair Manual which both agree with only 3 lengths.

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 10.51.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 10.57.44 AM.png

I don't know...it might help to know what engine you have: 2F or 3FE? Robert's post is for the 2F engine, I think.

I don't know...it might help to know what engine you have: 2F or 3FE? Robert's post is for the 2F engine, I think.
OK, makes sense... I have the 3FE.

Yes sorry my post is for the 2F. I for some reason always assume folks on here have 60's and not 62's. I don't know if they are different between models. FSM I am using is the 1980 2F manual. I think the 3FE has different oil cooler pipe routing which would explain why you don't have the bolts. I cannot find a picture to confirm right now but distant memory seems to indicate the oil cooler pipe routes under the crank pulley from the driver side. 2Fs route it down the back of the crank plate and mount it using the crank cover bolts. Mis-information.

So why are the camshaft and the crankshaft gears so different? I'm assuming the bigger gear needed to be made stronger ( hence a different/stronger alloy)?

Camshaft gear is most likely the non Ferrous composite type on some model years. Most folks change it out to metal version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom