crankshaft pulley wobble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Malleus

Far west of Siegen
Threads
Just finished what may be the longest headgasket replacement on record, on No. 1 son's 1995 80. Started on the first try, and no leaks. However (isn't there always a "however"?), while walking around, looking and listening, I noticed a ticking sound from what appears to be the distributor area, or within a couple of inches of that, anyway.

Charlie leans in and says, "it's the belts on the crank pulley. It's wobbling and the belts are running around and falling back down in the grooves after they try to climb out". I don't know if that was the source of the sound, but sure enough the edge of the pulley is wobbling, by about 1/32" or so, just enough to see, but apparently not enough to make any other noises. Yet.

The problem is, it's his truck and I don't look at it enough to know whether this was happening before his headgasket took a dive, or not, and if it was, for how long. It bothers me, in addition to the fact that the flanges (at least) seem to be wobbling, since the bore, AFAICR, is pretty long, the I can't remember the flanges being pressed onto the hub, but maybe they are. So, I don't think the hub itself, and thus the balancer, is wobbling, I think (I hope, really) it's the flanges that have worked themselves loose.

Has anyone seen this before? Am I wrong that the flanges are pressed onto a hub, which also has a balancer on it?

Just finished what may be the longest headgasket replacement on record, on No. 1 son's 1995 80. Started on the first try, and no leaks. However (isn't there always a "however"?), while walking around, looking and listening, I noticed a ticking sound from what appears to be the distributor area, or within a couple of inches of that, anyway.

Charlie leans in and says, "it's the belts on the crank pulley. It's wobbling and the belts are running around and falling back down in the grooves after they try to climb out". I don't know if that was the source of the sound, but sure enough the edge of the pulley is wobbling, by about 1/32" or so, just enough to see, but apparently not enough to make any other noises. Yet.

The problem is, it's his truck and I don't look at it enough to know whether this was happening before his headgasket took a dive, or not, and if it was, for how long. It bothers me, in addition to the fact that the flanges (at least) seem to be wobbling, since the bore, AFAICR, is pretty long, the I can't remember the flanges being pressed onto the hub, but maybe they are. So, I don't think the hub itself, and thus the balancer, is wobbling, I think (I hope, really) it's the flanges that have worked themselves loose.

Has anyone seen this before? Am I wrong that the flanges are pressed onto a hub, which also has a balancer on it?
Probably the rubber isolator has failed and the pulley has shifted to one end and now the belts are misaligned.

Need a new HB.

Yeah, that's what I was expecting, I was just curious how often this seem to happen. He knows what he's getting for Christmas, and it may be an early one.

FWIW I found a HB for $70 from O'Reillys that is an exact copy (or exactly the same part) as the OEM part which Toyota lists for ~$600.

Might save you a few bucks:

Yeah, that's what I was expecting, I was just curious how often this seem to happen. He knows what he's getting for Christmas, and it may be an early one.
Can’t recall which thread, but there was discussion about this recently. One side was for replacing the HB every so often as PM, and the other side was landcruiserphil & others who said they’ve almost never seen them fail. I guess it’s just something to keep an eye on?

Last edited:
FWIW I found a HB for $70 from O'Reillys that is an exact copy (or exactly the same part) as the OEM part which Toyota lists for ~$600.

Might save you a few bucks:

Amayama lists a Febest non-OEM replacement for about $100 too. I'll probably get the OEM, along with the bolt and new key, but that's good info for the group for sure. Their OEM lists for about $200, with $50 shipping on top. McGeorge is advertising $450, and shippng for something that heavy will probably be about the same.

...I knew that thread looked familiar

Last edited:
Can’t recall which thread, but there was discussion about this recently. One side was for replacing the HB every so often as PM, and the other side was landcruiserphil & others who said they’ve almost never seen them fail. I guess it’s just something to keep an eye on?
Maybe. I'd never heard of it happening before, and this is the first of my Land Cruisers it's happened to, which is what prompted the question. I guess it's not unreasonable to expect that after 30 years, the rubber (or stickum) would start to let go and then you're in for a new one.

I’ve got a little rattle on cold start ups that goes away once it’s all warmed up. Mostly below 40°. You guys almost have me convinced it’s my damper. Cuz I don’t know where else to look. So next step is replacing it.

Cold rattle at start up is likely cam chain tensioner.
Witt's End sells a nice ratcheting one to stop that.

Cold rattle at start up is likely cam chain tensioner.
Witt's End sells a nice ratcheting one to stop that.
Been replaced years ago. I’ve been through it all with the exception of the damper.

FWIW I just replaced my HB with a brand new OEM one and it has a slight wobble to it as well 🤷‍♂️

Been replaced years ago. I’ve been through it all with the exception of the damper.
But did you replace it with a ratcheting one? Because a new OEM one still relies only on oil pressure, which is the issue at startup.
Witt's End uses a spring w/ ratchet.

But did you replace it with a ratcheting one? Because a new OEM one still relies only on oil pressure, which is the issue at startup.
No, it isn’t a ratcheting one. I wasn’t aware of those until I’d already bought the regular one. But this rattle is minutes and not seconds. So I’m sure it’s not the tensioner. But I appreciate the recommendation 😁 this forum is great. Expensive, but great still the same.

These have not been available for months if not over a year. You can pre order but no ship date listed. @NLXTACY?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom