Cranks, Runs, Dies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just brought home a 60 that had been sitting for 1.5 years. In the last 2 weeks I have added a battery, fusible link, starter, fuel filter,plugs, fuel pump, Heet fuel treatment, 9 gallons of fresh fuel. It had approx. 5 gallons of old fuel.

The truck would not run without pouring gas into the carb prior to the fuel pump install. Now it will crank, run for about 4 seconds, then die. It will recrank immediately, run for 4 more seconds, then die again. And so on.

I have sprayed carb cleaner into the fuel intake port

Any ideas?

Remove Carb.

Send to Mark's Off Road.

That, or give me the $100 core charge he owes me when I take my carb off and put his rebuilt one on in 2 weeks.

Mine is fine, runs great, I just wanted a fresh carb when I do the desmog with header.

A guy from the 60 forum had this to say.

"You my friend, have a fuel delivery issue. If the truck had sat for a year or so, the old gas has varnished in the tank and probably the lines.
After cranking it over and running it for the 4 seconds, look at the sight glass on the front of the carburetor. You should see a fuel level half-way up the glass sight of the bowl.
You might also try pulling one of the two 12mm bolts on either side of the bowl, below and to the left and right of the sight glass on the front of the carb. Once removed, place a rag under the hole and have a friend look while you crank it. Fuel should be coming into the bowl and draining out the bolt hole into your rag.
My guess is that your needle valve has gummed up and is not opening or working right."

Remove Carb.

Send to Mark's Off Road.

That, or give me the $100 core charge he owes me when I take my carb off and put his rebuilt one on in 2 weeks.

Mine is fine, runs great, I just wanted a fresh carb when I do the desmog with header.

I may take you up on that.

I may also junk everything and go propane.

I have isolated the problem to the carb itself by making a "fuel tank" from a Powerade bottle with a fuel line ran through the top. I placed it on the inlet end of a new fuel filter(old one did have dirty gas), filled it with a seafoam/gas mixture. I then poured some seafoam in the carb and cranked the engine. It did the same thing as before but with a lot more smoke.

I am calling the dealership on Monday to see if the tank is under a recall and plan to clean out the lines.

My question is what is the next step on the carb? I have seen cruiser outfitters offers a kit. Is it worth the effort?

Still thinking about propane.

Jes what about the idle solenoid (don't know if thats what its called) but it the plugged in green connector on the carb........

Jes what about the idle solenoid (don't know if thats what its called) but it the plugged in green connector on the carb........

I thought about that but listen to what it's doing now.

I got it to run by just pouring fuel into the carb with the fuel line unplugged. This enabled me to keep it running longer by standing outside the truck and pouring small amounts of gas into the carb. It would run as long as I was pouring gas in the carb. I then decided to take off the air cleaner. This enabled me to give the side of the carb a technical tap with my Mag light.

It will now run on its own but only on 3/4to full choke.

Float still sticking?

get after it with carb cleaner and seafoam. It will unstick sooner or later.

i think trollhole's carb are a cheap solution it you keep it a gasser.

Knock the fore out of it (with a big ass hammer) then kick it! Sorry about that I've been watchin' the UFC!

I'd vote rebuild the carb as well...

Alright, after 2 cans of seafoam and a bakers dozen cans of carb cleaner it now runs. I had it idling perfectly without the choke pulled and thought all was well.....then I drove it.

I reinstalled the air cleaner and most of the vacuum lines. Backed it out of the driveway and started up a hill. It died, recranked, sputtered, died and so on until I got it home. I noticed that one of the fuel lines was leaking and fixed it. It then drove much better so I took it to top off the tank with fresh gas. It was driving much better with the fresh gas but still wants to die at idle without the choke pulled.

I plan on installing a fresh filter and fix as many vacuum leaks as possible.

After that, I will rebuild the carb.

Has anyone ever done a proper desmog?

Has anyone ever done a proper desmog?

I didn't do all of it myself, but mine is seems to be a proper desmog. Whacha need to know?

I helped chris's guys de-smog his new 40 engine. IMO The biggest piece mystery is tuning the carb once the desmog is done, which makes carb rebuild time the perfect time to desmog.

Great, now the POS won't do anything. :mad: Starter just spins, the engine won't even stumble.

Back to square one with a new fuel filter.

Wrenching at my house tonight if anyone is interested.:beer:

We shall decend upon the like an an angry hive.