Cranks but won’t start No CEL either (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just tried to start my 1991 cruiser but it wouldn’t start. Also the check engine light wasn’t on with the key in the on position. I checked the ecu fuses in the dash by your left knee they were good so I checked the relay under the hood and it appeared to be good. Also checked the fusible link after several other posts said it could be bad. So after a few hours of checking grounds, fuses, positive cables and all connections I finally just said heck with it and replaced the eci relay under the hood even though it tested to be good and to my surprise the ol girl fired right up. The relay was the original one from the factory lol.

Got any photos you can post up?

Got any photos you can post up?
The first pic is the relay box under the hood the new gold colored relay is the one that I replaced

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Applied 12v supply to the coil side and checked continuity on the switch side
Then it likely was not the relay. Possibly a bad connection on one of the relay terminals in the box, or simply coincidental if you moved something else in the engine bay.
Have you tried putting the old EFI relay back in to verify?

Then it likely was not the relay. Possibly a bad connection on one of the relay terminals in the box, or simply coincidental if you moved something else in the engine bay.
Have you tried putting the old EFI relay back in to verify?
I did in fact put the old one back in and it failed again. So my best guess is that it makes enough contact for continuity but when it has voltage to the switch side it is not closing good enough to let the full voltage through

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom