Cranks but does not start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 97 FZJ80.
When I was driving on mountain pass, the engine suddenly quit, but the power stayed on. No stalling, no loud, unusual noises. The check engine light was on, when I plug my basic OBDII reader on it gave me 7 codes, while I do not remember all at this moment, they were related to Crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor and O2 sensor. The CEL has been on for a while due to some holes near the O2 sensor, but it's been driving fine. The engine cranked fine and strong, but it did not start. I thought it could be a blown fuse, so I checked the EFI fuse under the hood, ignition and ECU fuses in the cabin, all good. After multiple tries, all strong cranks, I decided to remove the positive terminal, hoping to reset the ECU and start the engine after. No dice. I called for a tow home.

Like most people would do, I started with looking at the forums for common issues, previous posts etc... I began following the instruction on the FAQ (Emergency Troubleshooting Procedures - FAQ Item (Recommend Keeping Copy in Truck)) Fuel + Spark + Compression. I'm pretty sure I did not lose compression in all 6 cylinders at once without noticing. On to the fuel:
I removed the return line as instructed, opened up the fuel cap to relieve pressure and cranked the engine. Fuel came out. BUT I was not sure how much fuel it should actually come out, it was just a small flow of fuel as if it was coming out with a little gravity but not with force. So tried the same on my 89 All-trac. the fuel came out with force and sprayed all over. Hmmm not very good, but at least fuel was flowing. On to the relays:
Replaced all related fuses that were mentioned on the FAQ. Replaced the EFI Relay as well.
Headlights, heat, stop light, radio all turn on, according to the FAQ, it would mean "Main" fusible link is good.
Horn, hazards, dom light, rear heat, turn signals and wipers all work, according to the FAQ, it would mean "AM1" fusible link is good.
The engine still cranks well, the CEL is on when trying to start or key "On" position, but engine does not start.

Now I did not understand what "if you get the yellow light on the volt meter with "key on engine off" AM2 fusible link is good" part. If you can explain what that "yellow light" should look like, I would appreciate it.

On to the Spark Plugs: Now my distribution cap, spark plugs and wires were replaced exactly a year ago by Torfab in Washington, they specialize on FJs, so I just assume all those are good at this point.
I pulled two of the easiest plugs, grounded the end, cranked the engine, and.... no spark. None. And I could smell fuel at the ends of both. (of course I wiped it all clean before checking for spark, thanks FAQ!)

This is where I am right now, and would appreciate help. What is my next step ?
Disclaimer: I do not understand all the terminology, or know exactly where everything is, but I do have the FSM, and try my best.

I have a 97 FZJ80.
When I was driving on mountain pass, the engine suddenly quit, but the power stayed on. No stalling, no loud, unusual noises. The check engine light was on, when I plug my basic OBDII reader on it gave me 7 codes, while I do not remember all at this moment, they were related to Crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor and O2 sensor. The CEL has been on for a while due to some holes near the O2 sensor, but it's been driving fine. The engine cranked fine and strong, but it did not start. I thought it could be a blown fuse, so I checked the EFI fuse under the hood, ignition and ECU fuses in the cabin, all good. After multiple tries, all strong cranks, I decided to remove the positive terminal, hoping to reset the ECU and start the engine after. No dice. I called for a tow home.

Like most people would do, I started with looking at the forums for common issues, previous posts etc... I began following the instruction on the FAQ (Emergency Troubleshooting Procedures - FAQ Item (Recommend Keeping Copy in Truck)) Fuel + Spark + Compression. I'm pretty sure I did not lose compression in all 6 cylinders at once without noticing. On to the fuel:
I removed the return line as instructed, opened up the fuel cap to relieve pressure and cranked the engine. Fuel came out. BUT I was not sure how much fuel it should actually come out, it was just a small flow of fuel as if it was coming out with a little gravity but not with force. So tried the same on my 89 All-trac. the fuel came out with force and sprayed all over. Hmmm not very good, but at least fuel was flowing. On to the relays:
Replaced all related fuses that were mentioned on the FAQ. Replaced the EFI Relay as well.
Headlights, heat, stop light, radio all turn on, according to the FAQ, it would mean "Main" fusible link is good.
Horn, hazards, dom light, rear heat, turn signals and wipers all work, according to the FAQ, it would mean "AM1" fusible link is good.
The engine still cranks well, the CEL is on when trying to start or key "On" position, but engine does not start.

Now I did not understand what "if you get the yellow light on the volt meter with "key on engine off" AM2 fusible link is good" part. If you can explain what that "yellow light" should look like, I would appreciate it.

On to the Spark Plugs: Now my distribution cap, spark plugs and wires were replaced exactly a year ago by Torfab in Washington, they specialize on FJs, so I just assume all those are good at this point.
I pulled two of the easiest plugs, grounded the end, cranked the engine, and.... no spark. None. And I could smell fuel at the ends of both. (of course I wiped it all clean before checking for spark, thanks FAQ!)

This is where I am right now, and would appreciate help. What is my next step ?
Disclaimer: I do not understand all the terminology, or know exactly where everything is, but I do have the FSM, and try my best.

The crank sensor is probably dead, also get a new Fuse able link, those two are the culprit and I would have Tor replace the crank sensor

It seems like the ECM isnt happy about where it thinks the cam or the crank is. I'd focus on figuring out which one is lying. check voltage at the sensors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom