Crankcase Breather Filter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The P.O. put one of those K&N breather filters directly on the crankcase "stub", it became almost fully plugged and my cruiser was running like crap. I pulled the filter off and now it runs alot better. My cruiser has been crudely desmogged but it has ran very good in the past. I use it for plowing, which it has gotten alot of use this year, just around my property. It has not been ran wide open in a while. I am wondering if this breather should have a small hose on it first, becuz with the current filter setup it just runs right back in their (make sense?). I thought I should run a hose maybe a foot or so, so it makes a loop and then the filter? Did a search and got a lot about diesels. Just a regular 76 2F. Any help would be appreciated, and pictures too. Thanks everyone.

The pcv runs to the intake manifold and there should be a hose running from the valve cover to the air cleaner assy.......... pretty simple.......

PCV

A little overview might be helpful--if you already know all this sorry but it might help someone:)

The crankcase builds up pressure because of small amounts of ring blow-by and just the big rotating mass of the crank and pistons

old cars ---pre 60s just vented this to the atmos with a breather. The function of the breather was to collect the oil from the mist.
Combined with dirt and water you can get a sludge and clog it so the breather would need changing from time to time

Taking the filter off will blow oil mist around making a mess and depositing it on the roads

The solution--PCV, Positive crankcase venilation, "Positive" meaning fumes are sucked out of the crankcase with a slight vacuum and fed back into the combustion process to be burned eliminating clogged filters and a mess

beacause the crankcase is operating at a vaccum now fresh air can be drawn into to repalce the air sucked out thru the PCV

The PCV valve is also a check valve that closes when vacuum is low

for prolly a couple of bucks the hoses and pcv valve can be purchased at the local auto parts

Another advantage for a 4 wheeler is that this is a water tight system and you wont get water in through your breather depending on where it is mounted

Ok, thanx for the in depth explanation. Please remember it says rookie over <----their for a reason. What part of the air cleaner assembly/carb does this hose hook to? The P.O. also has an aftermarket air intake on top of the carb so it does not look like everybody elses. I see their is a large metal vaccumm line--i think--on the right side of the assembly, here?

pcv installation

Specter Off-Road-Land Cruiser Parts - Page 030-Engine Gaskets

This link will show you the sys installation

if you have not found the SOR catalog yet you will find it handy for all sorts of things

scroll down about halfway down the page that's where the pcv stuff starts

If your aftermarket has a hookup for it and it prob'ly does just use that

Frank, if you could just post up a pic of what your situation looks like it would make this situation go a lot smoother and bsmith can back-off the bs. :D

k, can do, once the pic is on to my computer i am not sure how to post it. Little hep?

pcv

20, 21, and 30

Okay maybe too much BS?, lets go to pictures

30 is a hose from your aircleaner to the valve cover use the air cleaner you have and run the hose

20 and 21 are the hose and pcv valve--this will go where they stuck the breather
pcv.GIF

You know I might be explaining this wrong, according to that pic I think I have that, this little filter that he had on their was on the back right side of the valve cover (it goes at about a 45 deg. angle and sticks up maybe 3/4 inch and is maybe 1/2 diameter. He had a small K&N air filter over it. About the size of a small oil filter approx. Thanx for all the help bsmith123. If we cant figure it out from this I will try and get pictures.

Yup, X marks the spot--my air filter is a round open filter element with a lid on the top. I'll try an do the picture shuffle. Great pic thanx again. As long as we are on the subject though, how often do you replace your pcv?

Dooes anybody know where you can get that set-up like in bsmiths picture. Mine is a great big PITA and that would make life a lot easier. That and a piece of whatever diameter hose that is and problem solved. That is stock assembly I assume? Do you run a paper element in their or aftermarket?

Your sig line indicates you have a '76. The air cleaner in the pic below is what yours should look like and the red arrow points to the hose connection. bsmith posted a pic of the older style '74 back version.

Last edited:
yeah, I just figured that out, although that would be an ideal setup. The round filter on mine really doesnt have a place to attach the hose. Would the older version work on mine?

can somebody just tell me in plain English how to post a pic? This link to this and search to that is a waste of time. Apparently that didn't work.

picture maybe...?

PHTO0017.jpg
PHTO0017.jpg

Holy $h*t I'm a genious, don't know what I did, anyway that is what I got goin on...any suggestions?

pcv solutions

well,

The aim is to provide vacuum in the crankcase and fresh filtered air to replace it.

The air cleaner connection provides this fresh air but I dont see why you couldnt connect the pcv to vacuum and just put a filter on the other hose so you are not sucking dirty air into the crankcase --maybe a small air filter of some sort from a small engine like a lawnmower or M/C?

Or if you have the option then go back to the stock set up

so hook the valve hose up to vacuum on your manifold or carb base and hook the other hose up to get clean filter air ---from where is not important to the engine

In normal aspirated engines a lot of times in the air cleaner you will see that little oily pad that looks like a scratchy pad for cleaning---Ie filter

btw one sign that the PCV is clogged is if the oil and smoke is coming up through the fresh air filter--

on the PCV side
a possible improvement is to add a oil catch can
Corvette PCV Oil Catch Can

turbo guys dont like the oil mist condensing in their intercoolers for us it is sucked into the engine and burnt but a catch can takes some of the oil out first

PS if you are having a hard time posting pics make them smaller and save as a GIF or JPEG---thi site wont accept BMPs I dont think and pics have to be under a certain size

gif 60.0 KB 640 640
jpeg 120.0 KB 800 800
jpg 136.7 KB 800 800
kml 976.6 KB - -
kmz 976.6 KB - -
pdf 1.91 MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom