Crank seal leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexLexican

SILVER Star
Threads
Mornin’. In the middle of a TB job and discovered quite a lot of grime towards the lower end of the belt. Would this be symptoms of bad crank seal?

1661008961417.jpeg

One more thing, how easy should it be to turn the engine at the crank with no plugs pulled? I’m using the tire iron and it’s not as difficult as I imagined.

Last edited:
Would this be symptoms of bad crank seal?
Won’t know until you get the lower cover off, but a leaky crank seal typically leads to grime buildup along the front of the oil pan shelf. I suspect the grime you have there is from the idler pulley bolt, which is supposed to have thread locker or FIPG to prevent seepage.

One more thing, how easy should it be to turn the engine at the crank with no plugs pulled? I’m using the tire iron and it’s not as difficult as I imagined.
I had an oil leak in two places on my ‘01 LX 470, 340k miles. One was at the crankshaft seal and second leak was from the oil pump seal. FYI - The mechanic(15+ yrs) and the shop supervisor(20+ yrs) both said they have never replaced an oil pump on any of the Toyota engines they have worked on, I know that’s their opinion. But mainly just sharing to also look at the oil pump seal too while you are in there. Like others have said, the front of my oil pan had oil on it, in both cases. The oil was not concentrated in one spot, the entire front side of the pan was covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom