Crank Pulley Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How difficult should it be to install the crank pulley?
And, how will I know when it's fully on?
When I really whack the pulley with our homeade installer tool, the pulley doesn't move anymore, but it doesn't quite look like it's all the way on either.
Thanks for any advice...

Does your engine have a crank nut on the front, or are you running a early F, that has the press on pulley?

Can you start to thread the nut on the crank yet?

Yup - can actually thread it on quite a bit - but when it reaches the pulley, it tightens up and the pulley starts to turn with it....
Poser said:
Can you start to thread the nut on the crank yet?

Well,

This is where a good 1/2" drive impact and 46mm socket would come in handy...

Can you post up a pic of where you have it so far?

Hope you can see from this pic....
pulley2.jpg

Angle from the side please... :)

should have asked for that too...

I would say that you have it fully seated.

how about a pic of the balancer/pulley in relation to the timing cover from the side?

do you have your water pump on yet? do you have the water pump pulley? are the two pulley grooves in line with each other?

you could wait til you get it in the truck attached to the tranny to torque it down to it's final position. Just make a note so you don't forget later on if you do that. Or you could put a few bolts in other end of the crank where the flywheel bolts to it and put a lug wrench in between to hold the crank for final torque. Just be careful as it's a semi redneck manuever :doh:

Be sure to use the lock washer that secures the nut.....and I am a fan of red locktite too...

Water pump pulley is installed as is alternator - looks pretty lined up to me.
If it's not tightened all the way, what bad can happen?
Can I tighten it too much?
Thanks!!!
pulley6.jpg

If it is not tightened all the way, you could end up having the pulley loosen up, and tear up the crankshaft, the keyway or the pulley. My original engine in the Red truck was victim of this when I purchased it.

If you over tighten the crank nut, you could easily strip the threads on the end of the crank, and then you are going to open up the whole can of worms known as the weld vs. replace the crank debate…so do not over tighten it!

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks to you both - I guess I'll try to torque it to specs and check it often for the first few 1000 miles....
:cheers: :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom