Crank Pulley for 1FZFE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Proud owner of a 97 1FZE money pit. I’ve got a new short block, rebuilt head, and lots of new parts around the engine. My harmonic balancer is original with about 200K miles on it. I’ve searched about the crank pulley / balancer here on MUD. Some say it can fail, some say no way. I can see on the backside (motor side) of mine that the rubber is looking kind of deteriorated. I’m considering swapping a new one in, but wondering if anyone has actually experienced a failure of this part. Any advice appreciated.

Replace it. I ordered mine from toyotapartsdeal.com

Mine failed. Was rubbing the timing cover. Wobbly etc

Most don't fail with normal use, but they 'can'. Especially if someone has tweaked it in the past during removal.

Some folks try to hold the outer portion with a strap wrench instead of using the threaded holes at the inner portion.

The rubber damper between the two can become torn or weakened. It is naturally degrading even when NOT abused.

I had mine fail on a 1HZ. It absolutely can happen. The pulley is two separate bits of metal "glued" together by rubber. When the rubber starts to go, the two halves start to separate. Bent my fan bracket and stuffed the AC idler pulley in the process. First sign was the grinding noise as the pulley started wearing the front of my timing cover. You've put that much money into the car already, a new harmonic balancer is a no brainer I think.

If nothing else, the oil seal surface will wear and the seal can then leak. This is why I replaced mine.

Proud owner of a 97 1FZE money pit. I’ve got a new short block, rebuilt head, and lots of new parts around the engine. My harmonic balancer is original with about 200K miles on it. I’ve searched about the crank pulley / balancer here on MUD. Some say it can fail, some say no way. I can see on the backside (motor side) of mine that the rubber is looking kind of deteriorated. I’m considering swapping a new one in, but wondering if anyone has actually experienced a failure of this part. Any advice appreciated.

Yup, had a failed one on a 1990 PZJ70 Cruiser. It happens.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom