Crank pulley, Can it be powder coated?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by AATLAS1X, Aug 17, 2006.

1. AATLAS1X

AATLAS1X

I have been told about horror stories about these being powder coated and they just fall apart.

True or false?

I dont want to try with my A/C P/S 3 groove...............

Advise please....................

Thanks,

Shane

2. KLF

KLF Frame waxer SILVER Star

I don't have any direct experience with this, but I can believe it. There is a dense rubber dampener inside the pulley, between the shieves and the center hub part. I would bet it would not take the heat from the curing oven.

3. Waorani

Waorani

I was wondering the same thing last night before I realized how it was made. I heat parts to 450F until the powder flows and I don't think I want to do that with a part with rubber in it.

4. AATLAS1X

AATLAS1X

My powder is set up for 400 degrees....

Anyone have an idea?

5. 890man

890man

I would say don't do it. I'm not sure what material they use, but I bet it wont hold up well to heat. I am an injection molder working with plastics every day. We run all typs of material including some rubber jobs. The material we use is a TPE (Thermoplastic Elastomer) The process (melt) temps range between 365 F up to 450 F, but most of them fall in the lower range. This assumes it is a TPE. They do begin to melt at lower temps though. Don't bake these at 400, you will ruin them. There are a lot more materials and grades that can handle higher temps, but I would just stay safe. Use a good epoxy paint or POR-15 or some of the others out there. I dont know the manufacturing process but the chrome, powder or other finishing is most likley done before adding the dampening material.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.