Crank, no start. Uncertain on a few things (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So you pulled your feed line at the fuel tank and no fuel came out but there is fuel in the tank? If so then maybe the tank has rust in it.
Brand new tank. Hard line & Rubber hose coming out of DS of the tank are dry. I can suck on those and get fuel.

New fuel pump, new fuel filter, when I check the fuel filter the line is still dry after starting it three or four times and letting it run until the gas in the carburetor is gone.

OEM tank under the passenger seat? If you pull off the hose there, and I don't recommend that, fuel should just pour out. But I don't recommend that since you'll get fuel inside the cab. Instead you can pull the hose where it joins the hard line under the truck.

OEM tank? Plastic? Metal?

OEM tank under the passenger seat? If you pull off the hose there, and I don't recommend that, fuel should just pour out. But I don't recommend that since you'll get fuel inside the cab. Instead you can pull the hose where it joins the hard line under the truck.

OEM tank? Plastic? Metal?
OEM tank, rubber hose connected to the DS outlet. Disconnected at the metal elbow, no fuel comes out. I can suck gas out, but none comes out on it's own. Should I do it from under the truck until I get siphon and flow?

You shouldn't have to siphon. The fuel should just flow out of there via gravity.

There should be two ports on the driver's side of the tank. One half way up, that's the fuel return. One at the bottom, that's the fuel feed.

Your fuel cap should be vented to let air in.

You can try opening your fuel cap to make sure your fuel tank is venting properly.

You shouldn't have to siphon. The fuel should just flow out of there via gravity.

There should be two ports on the driver's side of the tank. One half way up, that's the fuel return. One at the bottom, that's the fuel feed.

Your fuel cap should be vented to let air in.

You can try opening your fuel cap to make sure your fuel tank is venting properly.
The plug halfway up is plugged. Purposefully.

The one on the bottom has a rubber hose connected. No fuel comes out.

I opened up the gas cap, still no fuel comes out.

I only have perhaps 2 gallons in the tank, I would think that would be enough though.

Hard to see in the photo below. The line on the lower right is the feed and flows through the floor. The one on the left, half way up is the return line that comes up through the floor. The return port should connect to the return line on your fuel pump, assuming you are using the one from 86. So not sure why that's plugged.

Fuel must flow freely from the feed line (assuming factory fuel pump).

IMG_4365.JPG

What happens if you blow into the pipe? You should hear it bubbling, but maybe you can dislodge some crap from the pipe?

The plug halfway up is plugged. Purposefully.

The one on the bottom has a rubber hose connected. No fuel comes out.

I opened up the gas cap, still no fuel comes out.

I only have perhaps 2 gallons in the tank, I would think that would be enough though.
I think the sump is larger than that. You may not have fuel above the outlfow.

Hard to see in the photo below. The line on the lower right is the feed and flows through the floor. The one on the left, half way up is the return line that comes up through the floor. The return port should connect to the return line on your fuel pump, assuming you are using the one from 86. So not sure why that's plugged.

Fuel must flow freely from the feed line (assuming factory fuel pump).

View attachment 3303864
I have the rubber hose connected to the very bottom, that supplies fuel to the fuel pump. But no fuel comes out of it.

IMG_0161.jpeg

What happens if you blow into the pipe? You should hear it bubbling, but maybe you can dislodge some crap from the pipe?
I can blow into it and hear bubbles.

That's definitely the feed line. Not sure how much fuel is required to fill the sump like Malleus points out above.

With the fuel cap off there's no risk of a vacuum, so I can only think there is a blockage or not enough fuel. Maybe a little compressed air to try to clear it?

A side note, you'll want to paint that tank before you button it up. Looks like it's just in primer still.

That seems to indicate the lack of fuel. Trying adding a couple of gallons.

I think the sump is larger than that. You may not have fuel above the outlfow.
I've got 3 or 4 gallons in it. None comes out. I'll add some more.

I think the sump is 3 gallons(ish) but don't quote me on that. I know that if I park on a hill nose down, and I'm low on fuel, the engine won't start (the "pickup" is in the rear of the tank). If I turn around, it'll fire right up.

I think the sump is 3 gallons(ish) but don't quote me on that. I know that if I park on a hill nose down, and I'm low on fuel, the engine won't start (the "pickup" is in the rear of the tank). If I turn around, it'll fire right up.
It has at least four or 5 gallons now. Are used most of a 5 gallon canned, and had at least a gallon or two in there previously. It still doesn't come out the hose, but if I put siphon down low, I can get fuel out.

Rather than relying on my poor memory, if the fuel doesn't gravity flow out of the supply tube, it's too low. If the fuel does flow out of the supply tube, the fuel pump should be able to get it to the carb.

Is this a dealer new OEM tank or “new to you“ OEM tank? I see the part number on the side. Not sure if they come like that or not as I used the CCoT replica metal tank.

Is this a dealer new OEM tank or “new to you“ OEM tank? I see the part number on the side. Not sure if they come like that or not as I used the CCoT replica metal tank.
Yes, new, oem, direct from dealer and southeast Toyota. 1 week old.

So I connected a hose just before the fuel filter. Then I put a long tube on there and siphoned gas up to there with no problem. Connected it to the fuel filter, poured gas into the carburetor, started, but still no fuel coming up through the line.

Then I went back , took off the elbow next to the tankand Fuel was steadily but slowly coming out. So perhaps I can get fuel to the end of the hardline now.

But it isn't getting up to the carburetor.

The pump is from a 76, brand new, with a gasket, oem.

The motor is from an 86. Wrong pump????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom