crank no start in the cold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just snowed down here in missouri and i was drivin the fj 60 last nite did great in the snow not a lick of trouble. this morning i went to fire it up to go play around some more and no start it sounded like it tried to one time and then nothing. the carb and motor is shot on the thing so i always have to pump the gas more than usual on it. i think that mabie i fouled the plugs due to the cold weather and pumping the s*** out of the gas yea im pretty impatient with things when its cold. just wondering if u guys had any common problems like this that will help me in my diagnosis. added info is that the truck is desmoged and that is about all the modifications that i have done to it.

re

k just swapped plugs out in the beast and still no fire pulled hte cap on the distributer everything looked normal. could possibly be the coil or pick up coil in distributer the both have nearley 300 000 miles on them

is it still below freezing there...could be moisture in the fuel line/ carb is frozen. try a bottle of HEET in the gas tank. Up here in the land of 155" of snow I put a bottle in at every fill up to keep the lines dry.

ill definatelly check that out and put some in the gas tank but it hasnt had this problem before and its been below freezing now for like 5 days

I had a similar problem, but it had been below zero(F) for a few days and bottomed-out at -18F. I put a "Mr. Heater" in front of the grill for 20min and the engine fired right up.

For what its worth:
I have since added HEET and have noticed an improvement. My 2F has 150k and runs smooth with strong compression. My carb has never given me any problems, either. On severely cold start-ups, I pull the choke, lightly pump 8-10 times, and crank. If the 2F does not turn over within (about) the first 3 cranks, I begin lightly pumping while cranking. If usually catches fairly quickly after that. The exception was the -18F morning as described above.

yea engine cranks well i am running thick oil due to extreme oil consumption like 40 miles per quart bad. but its wearmer today and ill go out and try and fire it up today sometime and see what happens

Choke.

Lighter oil.

Choke.

Sweet-talk her.

Choke.

i've had my 84 for almost two years. first winter no problems. this year i couldn't get her to start for anything once the temp fell below 40 (i'm in texas, that's cold to us). i could literally go out in the morning and crank the hell out of her with no luck. wait until it warmed in the early afternoon and she'd start first turn. finally realized the only difference from last year to this was the lucas oil additive. drained that out and haven't had a problem since. that s***e is thick at normal temps so i can only imagine what happens as it cools. got off work last night and it was about 20 out but she fired right up. maybe you need a lighter oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom