Crank No Start-Immobilizer Blinking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So as luck would have it my son and I finally finished all of the maintenance on his new to him LX 470 this evening, it’s a 98

Crank no start.... checked vacuum lines, fuel filter, everything we touched and all was good. Car ran 10 minutes prior as we were doing the final tranny flush.

Unhooked battery for 4 hours, re attached, still crank no start

Then I noticed immobilizer blinking....

I did some searches and I’m seeing the EFI 20amp fuse issue, then possibly the Fuel Injection Relay, and then I’ve even heard of folks replacing the entire fuse box.

I’m not seeing anything definitive on this issue, and maybe there isn’t one

But I am hoping someone has dealt with this a few times and can help me trouble shoot.

My code reader is at the office so I will try that in the morning but I’m thinking since the immobilizer is blinking than a code reader might now be that helpful anyway since we already know the main problem....

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Had a similar issue that I just resolved after about a month of troubleshooting. With the help of my local shop, ended up narrowing down to a bad ECU. I sent it off to SIA Electronics and they diagnosed as a bad CPU, and thus it was unrepairable. What was happening was that my ECU was losing memory of my keys, so it wouldn't pass the immobilizer. Also, my tool couldn't connect to my ECU via the OBD2 port (huge red flag). Plugged a new ECU in yesterday and everything fired right up.

The only difference in my situation was that it "looked" like my immobilizer was being disabled, as the security light would stop blinking. For your issue, I have heard of the relay/fuse fix, so maybe start with the cheapest thing which is a 25a EFI fuse. Other than that, wouldn't recommend throwing parts at it until you have a chance to put a code reader to it.

You can read more here: Crank but No Start and No Comms with ECU via OBD2 port - 1999 Landcruiser

Good luck!

Thanks Igoteyedeas....I got in touch with Mauser and Medtro...what a wealth of knowledge those 2 have! I tried the bypass and my rig started right up..so I ordered the heavy duty bypass from Medtro. Got lucky on this one for sure.

Thanks for your response though, I will keep this in mind in the future.

Thanks Igoteyedeas....I got in touch with Mauser and Medtro...what a wealth of knowledge those 2 have! I tried the bypass and my rig started right up..so I ordered the heavy duty bypass from Medtro. Got lucky on this one for sure.

Thanks for your response though, I will keep this in mind in the future.

I had to respond as I know that despondent feeling when your truck throws a random gremlin like that at you. Glad you already got it figured out though—even better!

Thanks Medtro, your bypass kit saved me a lot of money and time!

I'm posting as well to share in the 100 series immobilizer support group.

I as well checked fuse boxes, contacts, keys and narrowed it down to the ecu losing memory when the battery is disconnected.

What heavy duty bypass are you referring to?

I'm posting as well to share in the 100 series immobilizer support group.

I as well checked fuse boxes, contacts, keys and narrowed it down to the ecu losing memory when the battery is disconnected.

What heavy duty bypass are you referring to?
My LC would not start and the immobilizer light was blinking. I looked on Mud and it seemed that the fuse box, specifically the efi fuse plug gets “enlarged” over time so,the contact between the fuse and the contacts no longer make solid contact. I ran a wire from the efi fuse to the battery and the vehicle started up. I then ordered the bypass from Medtro and installed yesterday. The only other cure for this from my understanding is purchasing a new fuse box from Toyota for $450. I’m not sure if this is your issue but if it is Medtro sells a very nice bypass unit for $85 and that includes shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom