Crank/no start condition after touching alternator with wrench (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, Im coming to you with a problem that i've been trying to diagnose for weeks. I have a 1998 LC with 250k miles. I have read all the threads relating to this issue and have tried everything those threads suggested without luck.

When installing a new accessory belt pulley tensioner, I accidentally sparked the alternator with a wrench while the battery was plugged in and gave myself a crank/no start condition (D'oh). Car cranks strongly, but will not fire.

The alternator and starter were both brand new before this started.

Things ive tested/changed: Battery and Alternator both tested good, fusible links replaced on battery terminal replaced (none were blown however), new fuses (none blown either), EFI relay tested and works fine, new crankshaft sensor (wire was also not mangled from rubbing against crankshaft pulley), new-to-me ECU, new positive terminal on battery and engine grounds all tested fine. The new ECU is programmed to my keys and the security light goes out when inserting key, so not an immobilizer issue most likely. I can smell gas fumes after cranking so I assume the fuel pump is fine. Car has about 1/4 of a tank of gas. The check engine light is illuminated when key is placed in ON position. No engine codes. The engine was in perfectly good condition before this started, so nothing to do with anything mechanical. The resistance for the fuel injectors was reading about 14.5 Ohms which is not ideal but caused no issues before this.

I have looked thoroughly and could not find any burned wires or any indication of damage via an electrical surge. The cranking voltage for the battery is 11.4 and reads 12.7 when not cranking. The car wont start even when being jumped. Would trying the Immobilizer bypass kit sold here be worth trying?

Im out of ideas and am on the verge of sending it to a shop. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Immobilizer bypass kit might work. There is a way to test it before actually buying it. I think you just have to bypass a relay directly to the battery.

Does it start then die with starter fluid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom