Crank, no fuel, won’t start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2004 lx470 died on my way to go camping on Friday. Glad it died at target rather than the desert. I drive the past week, and had several stops including to fill up on gas.

I’ve searched and this is what I have checked so far:

battery-The truck cranks hard (new optima battery a few months ago) and won’t get fuel.

Added fuel injector cleaner.

I got it started with starter fluid at the intake, then dies. I have searched, and I tried cleaning my EFI fuse,

making sure immobilizer is working right, and spark is working once I get starting fluid in there.

Fuel filter unplugged and no fuel squirting out when cranking.

Unplugged/replugged MAFS. What should I check next? I don’t want to change the fuel pump until I rule out everything else, what else should I try?

Fuel pump?

2004 lx470 died on my way to go camping on Friday. Glad it died at target rather than the desert. I drive the past week, and had several stops including to fill up on gas.

battery-The truck cranks hard (new optima battery a few months ago) and won’t get fuel.

I got it started with starter fluid at the intake, then dies. I have searched, and I tried cleaning my EFI fuse,

making sure immobilizer is working right, and spark is working once I get starting fluid in there.

Unplugged/replugged MAFS. What should I check next? I don’t want to change the fuel pump until I rule out everything else, what else should I try?
i had the same problem- I removed the long passenger seat and peeled back the carpet and listened for that low dynamo hum of the fuel pump- fortunately mine was easy to remove and replace the pump in about an hour and a half.

OP daaa man this sounds like a fuel pump... It's an easy fix. Meat do the troubleshooting what @KoosKoos said. look for the hum of the fuel pump. If you don't have it. Get going on replacing the fuel pump. Oh while you are at it might as well replace the fuel filter.

I didn't even know that techstream did fuel pumps. But then again since this is a Toyota diagnostic tool it probably does a lot more than that.

Lift up or remove 2nd row driver's side seat, there is a round access panel, two screws.
Disconnect the fittings at the top of the fuel pump housing, there is a yellow clip that holds each hose on, pry laterally with screw driver and pop them out the side, then pull fuel hoses off.
Remove electrickity connection, standard plug type jobber.
Remove 8? screws holding fuel pump housing access plate (DO NOT LOSE THESE)
Pull fuel pump housing up half way, tilt it towards passenger side (it's L shaped with the pickup sock at the bottom), and pull it out the rest of the way.
The fuel pump is the black cylinder with electrical connection and hose going upward.

Am I wrong in remembering our pumps don’t hum with the key at “on” position? Have to be cranking for it to engage?
You are right I think Toyota pump systems don't pressurise (pre pump/prime) before ignition.

However using techstream it can be done apparently. So the hum can be heard using that method.

Also at OP as @2020 Rocks is saying there are videos showing the procedure on how to get the FP swapped out.

Last edited:
To operate fuel pump with key ON (engine not cranking)
  1. Remove C/OPN relay from fuse box sits next to battery.
  2. Short pins 3 & 5 (fuse box side)
The 2 golden pins are pins 3 & 5.

copn-relay-jpg.1923602

Hey all, here’s an update, and thanks for the replies. I got the truck running!

Today I unplugged the TPS and Mass airflow sensor and cleaned and plugged back in, as well as the EFI relay and fuel pump relay, and voilà, started right up. I did tap the relays a few times in case they were stuck. I put a bottle of fuel system cleaner in the tank and let it run for an hour and tried on and off several times and works fine.

My guess is one of my relays are going bad.

Need to find the relays and hopefully this doesn’t happen to me out on the trail (I tend to camp with just my kids in the desert this time of year). Don’t want to get stranded!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom