Crank bolt tight, still have issues? Real time help needed! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't know what would happen if it was MIA.

That's why I said it was a wild ass guess.

I'm 99.9% sure there is a collar that goes with that gear. It might be considered part of the gear as an assembly, it sits against the timing disk.

Is that collar separate? If so it could have been left off. I may need to go back in, sounds like.

Is that collar separate? If so it could have been left off. I may need to go back in, sounds like.

As I remember it, it was separate and acted like a bushing on the back side of the gear so the gear didn't rest directly on the timing disk.

If it's not there, I think it would give you the problems you have. I'd also hate for you to go tearing in there on my recommendation alone.

It might be worth a restocking fee to see what you get when you order one of those.

As I remember it, it was separate and acted like a bushing on the back side of the gear so the gear didn't rest directly on the timing disk.

If it's not there, I think it would give you the problems you have. I'd also hate for you to go tearing in there on my recommendation alone.

It might be worth a restocking fee to see what you get when you order one of those.

You mean order a new gear, and see what comes with?

You mean order a new gear, and see what comes with?

I'm not sure of the cost but some places will allow returns with a restocking fee. I'm sure Dan checked and didn't see a collar in the parts book. But I'm sure there is one in there. If there is one and it's missing then you'd need to order the gear anyway if that's how it comes.

I'm not sure of the cost but some places will allow returns with a restocking fee. I'm sure Dan checked and didn't see a collar in the parts book. But I'm sure there is one in there. If there is one and it's missing then you'd need to order the gear anyway if that's how it comes.

Gotcha. This theory may get leggs tomorrow. We'll see.

D

Still no resolution

But I must say, my local Toyota dealer is trying real hard to do the right thing. They handed me a new Tundra to drive while crushr is being worked on.

The overhaul job was a bit suspect since they (a machine shop in Houston, not the dealer) put on the wrong orings for the timing cover, and left out the oil galley plug altogether. Now the low oil pressure and low PS assist point to the crank pulley not being tight enough.

We have now replaced the PS gearbox (used unit from Gary Waggoner), and have a pump putting out 1500 lbs of pressure according to the pressure test they ran. Still, low assist prevails.

Any really smart cruiserheads out there want to take a guess at what the problem might be?

Let me ask yet again:

Have you put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it? If so, what is the oil pressure? If not, you have no clue if you have low oil pressure.

Let me ask yet again:

Have you put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it? If so, what is the oil pressure? If not, you have no clue if you have low oil pressure.

I asked the dealer SM to do that but have not heard back. I am assuming low oil pressure based on where the gauge read for 146k, which may change (I expect it would) with a complete overhaul. Problem is, I would think a complete overhaul would cause an increase in oil pressure (gauge reading), not a decrease.

I agree with you that we need to find out.

D

Oil Pressure Readings in..

12 PSI at idle, 34 PSI at 3000 RPM. Sounds very suspect for a newly rebuilt engine.

Combine this with low PS Assist, that gear has to be turning on the crankshaft. IMHO

me too..

I spoke to Robbie, and he said he remembers an oil slinger that goes on there, that may be missing.

bump

I'm very interested in this thread since I'm in the middle of a rebuild myself. Mine is a '96 also. Pics to follow...

Here are the gears that came off my crank (behind the timing cover):

1st photo is the assembly, 2nd photo shows each piece. I hope this helps.

-Mark
Engine5 004.jpg
Engine5 005.jpg

yes

This is helpful, thanks.

Since my engine is all put together and running, I cannot see how these three peices are put back on my engine. We might be able to use a fiber optic video camera fed down through the timing chain hole from up top, or, if we remove the oil pans, or maybe even just the crank sensor we can get a look.

Since we have both low oil pressure and low ps assist, it seems rather obvious that we (rather the dealer working on it) need to consider that as a possibility.

What is the build date of your vehicle VT, and why are you rebuilding the engine?

D

If one of those things was missing you would have ZERO oil pressure.

VT92, is the helicon gear a single piece? Check it out closely.

One other check would be to watch the oil pressure to see if it drops when turning the steering wheel. If it does then the gear is definitely slipping.

One step forward two steps back, everyone is assuming these are related ,, take them as two seperate issues. the oil pressure could be the pump, pressure releif or something else, if you have pulled the cover on the pump an its ok and checked the releif spring the next thing is the main/rod bearings.. once the other stuff is done I would drop the pan and plasti gauge the rods and mains. as far as the power steering the only things you seem not to have addressed, are the filter in the resivour, the cooler pluged or a bad hose with a restiction.

I have had both of the same problems, a good flush and new nyall hoses cured the power steering problems, as for the oil pressure did the front seal on the pump and a new pressure spring and it helped some but I will have to put some bearings in this motor sooner or later....(previous owner was very bad on PM).

Hope this helps BTW who did the motor rebuild???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom