craked cornner on re-done head! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I was moving the to my cruiser after I got it from the machine shop, I had them resurfce it and do a valve job, now you can read the teq thats on the valves. Now to the issue, I was moving the had and went to seat it down and I droped it, and now (if your looking at the motor from the front of the cruiser its the back left) it not that big of a peace the broke off, about a 1/4" and from the left side to the back about 1" long. so is the head seen it or should I try and fix it?

Man, sorry about that. Sounds like something I would do. Hard to tell what the impact will be. How much room is there to the nearest passage? Question will be, how well will it seal and hold up to the heat/bolt torque now.

If you could...weld the piece back on and then have the machine shop blanchard grind it again. No guarantee that it'll not warp later, but certainly worth the chance that it'll be alright.

got pics

I've got some pics, I'm only going to put up one for now. If needed I'll post some more
f19037fe.jpg
I hope this works.

Last edited:
how about now? I'm not sure how to post a pic. I use sony image station for a host. I dont know what everyone eles uses

B6i6K6e6R6b6O6y said:
how about now? I'm not sure how to post a pic. I use sony image station for a host. I dont know what everyone eles uses

when you post a post.
type your message.
then below the "submit reply" button
is a border marked "additional options"
below that border is a box marked "attach files"
there in is a button marked "manage attachments" click that button, a new window will open. then just browse your files and upload the one you wish. you'll probably need to resize the pic first 585X425 works pretty good.

as a non contributing member you'll only be able to up load something like 3 or 6 pics total. where a contributing members have unlimited up loading(i think).
1111110.JPG

Last edited:
If you post one of the bottom of the head, we can see how much sealing surface you have left.

Ed

Or if they are hosted online as you said, you can open up your picture at the host site, copy the address and paste it into your message. Then we can see the damage. A crack from dropping it huh. Sucks man. :frown:

Oh, and doesn't welding on cast require a lot of work. Like oven pre heating, cooling, etc...?

HawkDriver said:
Oh, and doesn't welding on cast require a lot of work. Like oven pre heating, cooling, etc...?

it is a major pain in my #$$, i have not had good luck on it yet.......which is probably do in part to the shops lack of the right stuff.....the last mission was ss to cast....yeah that worked out real well....

brian said:
it is a major pain in my #$$, i have not had good luck on it yet.......which is probably do in part to the shops lack of the right stuff.....the last mission was ss to cast....yeah that worked out real well....

Yeah, that's well beyond my capabilities or desires.

Hey look, there's the picture. Hmmmmm, I'd take it back to the shop and ask em what they think, and have em check it out for other damage. I bet you'll be alright to run it as is. Good luck.

:beer:

this is a pic next to a 15mm socket
socket.jpg

heres another.
headbroke.jpg

Smooth down the rough area, bolt it down, and drive.

You're probably OK to run it as is. If it were mine I'd likely weld it back up so as not to give some FO (future owner) another thing to curse me about, but that's just me.

Ummm, you say that you had a valve job done? Isn't that carbon peeking around those grungy valve heads? Maybe it's just the blurry photo.

thanks for the help. would jb weld work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom