Craigslist LC find northeast (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Based on location, Rust would be a concern. Also, I just love it when dealers show a dash shot with "Maintenance Required" flashing. :rofl: I guess they're at least honest enough not to just reset it...

Rust not a concern at all. Maintenance required means they need an oil change. No issues. Most likely a solid truck that will make someone very happy.

How do you know rust is not a concern? It is in NY?

How do you know rust is not a concern? It is in NY?
Because, with all due respect, the only people who care about frame rust are people in the south or coastal west. People up north? They know that everything rusts and if it isn’t on the body who cares. Anyone who buys a vehicle up north knows it will rust.

And, given how many more states are using salt on their roads, anyone who drives where there is snow will soon get the experience to chill out about a little surface rust. I’m talking to you Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Utah, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, ....

Forgive my ignorance on tire designs, but are those KO2s? Anyone have an idea what size they might be on the stock rims?

Because, with all due respect, the only people who care about frame rust are people in the south or coastal west. ...

I’m talking to you Washington, Oregon,...

Love it when the experts speak out. Love it when the bitch about frozen/rusted bolts etc. The market for used cars is lower in the rust states for that very reason. The market cares and even the dealers know this.

Love it when the experts speak out. Love it when the bitch about frozen/rusted bolts etc. The market for used cars is lower in the rust states for that very reason. The market cares and even the dealers know this.
That being said, wouldn’t you rather be out on the peninsula fishing for steelhead than worrying about a little surface rust on your frame?

That being said, wouldn’t you rather be out on the peninsula fishing for steelhead than worrying about a little surface rust on your frame?

But note that the LC is not a cheap buy...it is not a disposable car after 5 years or so...and most folks who buy it 2nd hand do tend to keep it a long time. So, buying one with as little surface rust as possible will help frame health decades from now with proper rust prevention.

Reactions: HGB
Because, with all due respect, the only people who care about frame rust are people in the south or coastal west. People up north? They know that everything rusts and if it isn’t on the body who cares. Anyone who buys a vehicle up north knows it will rust.

Uh... I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with this. I care, and I care a LOT about it. I would need to put my own eyes on any truck from that part of the country before plunking down my money. Let's ignore the apparent scam going on here, if that truck was originally from NY, it's likely in pretty rough shape underneath.

But note that the LC is not a cheap buy...it is not a disposable car after 5 years or so...and most folks who buy it 2nd hand do tend to keep it a long time. So, buying one with as little surface rust as possible will help frame health decades from now with proper rust prevention.
Yeah I’m one of them. I still occasional drive the one i bought new in 1987 and, yesterday, put 300 miles on the one i bought new in 1998. I just think it starts to get a bit irrational at times. We don’t have similiar discussions about dried out window, sunroof, and door seals from the Desert SW which have definitely had a bigger impact on my vehicle purchasing issues. Frame rust on a 200 will be nothing but surface rust. If you live in a salt area, even a new truck, this will happen soon enough. Body rust is an altogether different, much hated topic.

Not even how many times you drive it in Salt / Snow its if you clean it before you put away . I sold my 2016 in NY was cleaned after every storm or salt event .
I have seen cars and SUV’s super low Miles but rust buckets because there owners had no clue to clean them after .... Most people had garages with drains and hose .
I’m in my 2019 LC that will not see salt if I can help it , I have a winter Tacoma thats been coated with Por-15 and cosmoline .

And this is why I bought a 14 LX from NC. But it cost more money to get and I bought it without driving it.
The rust on a 6 year old vehicle from the NE shouldn't be a deal breaker if you do the under carriage preventive maintenance. Some people choose not to do that and ofcourse the vehicle is worth less when you sell it.
Vehicles are only worth less in the northeast if you can get one from somewhere else. LC's are not common.

And, given how many more states are using salt on their roads, anyone who drives where there is snow will soon get the experience to chill out about a little surface rust. I’m talking to you Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Utah, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, ....

Well said sir 👏

This time of year I prefer swinging on the Clearwater or GR, back in the day it was the Thompson. But I hate rust graduated HS in BC and saw far to many classics impacted by rot. The worst is what you can’t see so imo being paranoid is prudent. So but rust free and don’t worry. That said I think the cleanest undercarriage of a vehicle I have seen was a buddies jeep in Boston.

Not even how many times you drive it in Salt / Snow its if you clean it before you put away . I sold my 2016 in NY was cleaned after every storm or salt event .
I have seen cars and SUV’s super low Miles but rust buckets because there owners had no clue to clean them after .... Most people had garages with drains and hose .
I’m in my 2019 LC that will not see salt if I can help it , I have a winter Tacoma thats been coated with Por-15 and cosmoline .
Did you simply just rinse the undercarriage underneath? Did you have any special hoses or attachment to make the job easier?

Thanks!

I picked up my 2019 left over pre Covid 19 in January and we did not get too much bad weather in the PA / NJ / NY area this past winter which was goon ... If I want snow I will go and find it .
I did not have to do much cleaning this season so far winter is coming but my 2019 is going in my shop for its make over Bumpers / Lift / Tires .
My daily driver and winter beater is a 2015 Tacoma 4x4 is a great truck , I coated the crap out of it , its looks better than factory new underneath , every time I stop at my local Toyota dealer they want me to trade my truck ... its a great little looking little truck .
I just put a set of Goodyear Duratrac 265’s and makes the truck .
Even though it has por-15 and cosmoline I still hose the truck down after snow and salt .
I use one of those flower water wands they sell at any garden center works great for reaching inside wheel wells and underside .
When I do the mods on my LC I will also give the chassis coat in the known rust problem areas .

C1999881-6BFE-430B-B63D-AF4929FE9089.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom