Craigslist find! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked this up for $250 today. Needs some work but will get it sorted out over time.

1. What is it? Bantam, m416?

Has some heavy rust on the frame. I hope to start wire wheeling the frame in a couple weeks. Once everything is wheeled to the best of my abilities I will paint it . hopefully next year new skin and a good sand blasting can be done.

20170604_181740.jpg

20170604_181752.jpg

20170604_181759.jpg

Will post better pics tomorrow.

Could be an M100 or M416 or a civilian version, but difficult to say from just those pics. The fenders are not stock.

Couple more!

20170605_083902.jpg

20170605_083851.jpg

No built in deck drains = not military. But for $250, good project.

That could explain the rust thru at one end.

It's the same general shape as an M100 or M416, but it doesn't have ribs (bends) in the sheet metal for rigidity and strength or, as Ferg noted, floor drains. Could be a civilian copy of a military trailer or maybe it's a military trailer that got rebuilt as some point.

Is the body sitting on a separate frame or is the body/frame one piece.

I believe its two piece.

Did a little grindind today. Will be done in little increments as my hands are still shaking after only 30 minutes of work lol. I have half a quart of por15 but may save it and just spray paint it. Still plan on sandblasting next year once taxes come in.

20170906_183711.jpg

No built in deck drains = not military. But for $250, good project.

Floor looks to have been replaced, military trailers had ribs in the floor. My WWII 1943 1/4 ton MBT Willy's trailer only has a single drain. My 65 1/4 ton Johnson Furnace M417 has two drain.

I believe its two piece.

M416 trailers have fenders with three straight sides. M100 and earlier had round fenders. I know the WWII trailer were welded one piece. M416 the bed was bolted to the frame. Not sure about the M100 between the two.

The end of the axle do not look like a military trailer on this one.

I am very happy with what I have. Tried to pick up a m416 but never could find one I could afford or was willing to pay for.

Finally making some progress. Southeast overland is patching up the trailer and building a rack for me. Already been sandblasted and primered. Next week or so they will replace what metal needs redone including a new floor. Once that is done a rack for my RTT. Painting it with monstaliner then if there is any $ left extending the hitch.

123_1(1).jpeg

123_1.jpeg

Next round will be new fenders and possibly an axle swap but for now the budget doesn't allow for it.

What's on that frame tag? Right side forward.

Unreadable...

Phase one is complete! Going to use it next weekend in a state park so we will see what to do next round.

20190329_163839.jpg

20190329_163908.jpg

20190329_180308.jpg

Are you going to sleep in that with only the supports as shown? Are you not concerned that it may fall over?

Are you going to sleep in that with only the supports as shown? Are you not concerned that it may fall over?
Where do I need more support? Lengthwise between the rack?

I don't have a rooftop tent for experience but I know there were other threads on here that said these things should have a diagonal brace on each side. So for yours this could be top front to bottom rear or opposite of that.
Anyway you don't want it crashing down away from home. Push on it some to simulate climbing in plus extra force and make sure it is stiff and strong enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom