Cracked Transfer Case Today (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just drove a short distance tonight. Came around a corner and sort of missed second gear. (didn't fully clutch and I came off the gas. Truck lurched a bit as the engine deceleration slowed the truck). Seconds later in second gear under mild acceleration, big floor board boom then gzynk, gzynk, gzynk all the way home. Transfer case cracked vertically close to the passenger side rear.

So this is an open query on some recommendations on how to proceed /repair/replace. What likely happened internally? What are my first moves?

IMG_8906.jpeg

Find a new case or replacement transfer case. Also, purchase a set of case reinforcement plates. Hopefully the gears inside are fine and it is just the case that couldn't stand the strain. New reinforcement plates will hopefully prevent this from happening in the future.

Common failure point especially if you have a V8 (I see the transfer case crossmember that is often a part of a V8 swap) I happen to have a case for sale with case saver in classifieds.
Could you point me to your classified so I could take a boo?

Obvious have a V8 by back motor mount. Would look engine torque, tire size, lockers and how the cruiser is used. May look into an Orion.
Yes Its a carbureted 383 Stroker. Has been pushing this truck around for about 25 years now. Three rebuilds. And running like a top.

You broke a gear, and it broke the case. AND, I think this is a Toyota replacement case with the oversized idler. That means there are precious few parts available to repair it.

One more reason to just line another case up before tearing the truck down.

You broke a gear, and it broke the case. AND, I think this is a Toyota replacement case with the oversized idler. That means there are precious few parts available to repair it.

One more reason to just line another case up before tearing the truck down.

I show those parts still available in Japan. Probably cost $1K for the four gears. Certainly not worth rebuilding. Interesting I see the 1/74-4/75 transfer case still available minus the input gear. That means will work with three of four speeds with correct input gear. Around $1,500. Guess the days of $25 used transfer cases are gone.

Hire a guy with a TIG and fix it. If you clean it up, spot weld it, then go.
So long as the idler hole alignment is good, and the case is correctly positioned
no reason to think it won’t be fine. You could TIG a brace right into it.
Rebuild kit, maybe some new SUMO gears.

Hire a guy with a TIG and fix it. If you clean it up, spot weld it, then go.
So long as the idler hole alignment is good, and the case is correctly positioned
no reason to think it won’t be fine. You could TIG a brace right into it.
Rebuild kit, maybe some new SUMO gears.

Personally would never trust an aluminum case that has a crack that long. Could never be sure that alignment of the idler gear and high/low gears was perfect. Would especially never pay for Sumo gears in a welded case. Spent than much would buy an Orion case.

Personally would never trust an aluminum case that has a crack that long. Could never be sure that alignment of the idler gear and high/low gears was perfect. Would especially never pay for Sumo gears in a welded case. Spent than much would buy an Orion case.
Cautious is okay. Mine is TIG'd and new SUMOs, no issues. Had a heck of a time with it but once I got it sorted it worked out.
I just can't figure how your's cracked like that. weird.

Well I'm fully tooled in my garage with lath milling machine and aluminum tig skills. I'd love to take a crack at it over the winter (weld repair that is) I've never pulled a transfer case Always playing with engines and tranny but never the T Case by itself. So I'll need a bit of guidance on the best way to get it out.

See I can't leave the FJ where it is. And there is no room for the truck in my tiny garage. Over winter, my neighbor lets me park it in a corner of weeds in his back yard but I sure as hell don't want to pull the T-case there. So I'll have to pull it then roll/heave /shove it over there with the tranny/engine slung or supported so I'll have to move it after I pull the T-Case(I'm thinking)

All the work on that thing happens outside so come winter I'll have to have the transfer case on the bench and the truck stowed.

So this Orion Case Where do I source it? (in case the one I have is damaged beyond repair) Does it bolt up to the current cross member adaptor?

IMG_1232.JPG

IMG_1480.JPG

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_2494.JPG

P4060043.JPG

I just drove a short distance tonight. Came around a corner and sort of missed second gear. (didn't fully clutch and I came off the gas. Truck lurched a bit as the engine deceleration slowed the truck). Seconds later in second gear under mild acceleration, big floor board boom then gzynk, gzynk, gzynk all the way home. Transfer case cracked vertically close to the passenger side rear.

So this is an open query on some recommendations on how to proceed /repair/replace. What likely happened internally? What are my first moves?
BTW, have you asked around on local Alberta club pages? Gotta be lots of old stock lying around in
100 or so back yards.

If you were thinking about running a H55 5 speed, now would be the time. You'd get an upgrade to the Split case too.

H55 5 speed
So I'd appreciate the details on how much work this is really Does this bolt up to the stock FJ40 T-Case? If not, then I'm looking at ridding myself of the T-Case Cross member (for the Chev V8 conversion) and possibly changing drive shaft lengths regardless. By all means, tell me the steps and hiccoughs in going to the H55 at this time.

IMG_0148.JPG

100_0130.JPG

100_0134.JPG

100_0136.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom