Cracked Head 1hz Best place for Parts and What else to do while it's apart (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a few random issues, none of which involved overheating, the mechanic pulled the head and as you can see it is cracked.

The truck is a 1991 HZJ77 with 220k kilometers on it. I've driven it the last 15k of those and right to the day I drove it to the shop it ran great, but I was seeing oil in the coolant and exhaust gas bubbling in the coolant. It never has overheated since I've owned it, and I suspect it may have started cracking before I had it, who knows.

The main thing is, where in the USA (East Central Florida location) is best to get a new head and other parts needed, and what else should I be having done while it is apart? I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

20210119_102827.jpg

20210119_103201.jpg

20210119_102837.jpg

Sorry to hear. You sure that's not some sort of 6 cylinder 2LTE in there? (just kidding).

Stick with Toyota OEM parts. Maybe talk to some of the cruiser parts vendors in the US like Cruiser Outfitters? I would think they could supply you with everything you need.

The head is available in US, PN 11101-17012, Mcgeorge Toyota in Richmond has it listed for $1,278.00. Try your local dealer. I'm putting money away in case the day comes I'm in need of one too...

A cracked 1HZ head is more common than most realise. I say new OEM head, do the water pump and temp sender, even if you are sure it still works. Have your radiator gone over, just make sure the cooling system is 100%. Indirect injection diesels run a lot more heat in the cylinder head than a direct injection diesel. I would also be doing the injectors.

Good time for a new water pump if it hasnt been done.
I would be looking closely at the piston tops with a magnifying glass for heat damage.

At 220klms, I would be counting my pennies and considering a full engine kit and rebuild.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I have Cruiser Outfitters / Kurt Williams setting up my parts list and hoping to get back on the road soon.

Dealing with the same thing now on a client's engine... Par for the course on 30 year old engines. Most of these IDI heads and pre-cups are cracked at this point.

View attachment 2561137

View attachment 2561138

View attachment 2561139
Thanks Onur. That makes sense that 30 year old machinery is fatigued, especially when it starts getting used kind of heavily. I've put about 10,000 miles on this truck over 6 months, most of those on the highway. I've ordered a header out of Australia and am hoping that with 2.5" exhaust will help remove heat better. By the way, are you aware of pre bent exhaust lines available?

Thanks Onur. That makes sense that 30 year old machinery is fatigued, especially when it starts getting used kind of heavily. I've put about 10,000 miles on this truck over 6 months, most of those on the highway. I've ordered a header out of Australia and am hoping that with 2.5" exhaust will help remove heat better. By the way, are you aware of pre bent exhaust lines available?

OEM exhaust is still available.

2.25” at the manifold... I have a full OEM HZJ77 exhaust in my hands currently.

View attachment 2561276

And then widens to 2.5” all the way back.

View attachment 2561271
Thanks Onur, I sure appreciate your expertise. I mistakenly thought it was 2". The header I ordered dumps at 2.5" so it should work with my stock exhaust line which is still in very good condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom