Cracked front wndshield. What are the best options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have had a Pilkington windshield and OEM gasket in mine for a couple years now with no problems (knock on wood!). Mine doesn't have a tinted strip across the top of the glass, which makes it easier to see the scenery. As for the install, find a guy who isn't a know-it-all and is willing to listen to you when you tell him to urethane the glass to the gasket and the gasket to the truck :rolleyes:

I just had the windshield replaced in my wife's Matrix by Safelight. Top noch work IMHO. It was only $240 including sales tax for labor, the windshield and the gasket kit.

Brett, I had my windshield re-set by a shop in Humble. I didn't buy new glass, but they quoted me the price for setting it and setting it with new glass. I ordered the windshield gasket from Cdan, about $30. The price for having it set was about $120 or so. They knew what they were doing and sealed both sides. The price they gave me for labor and glass was just over $200 I think. I'm in class right now, but if you want to know the place where I got mine done, I can look through my receipts (in the glove box) and get you the contact info for the shop. I watched them do mine and I saw them pull the old gasket out that had not been glued well. Mine was leaking bad and now no leaks. I did a lot or research here on mud about the leaking windshield, and it seems common for those with replacement windshields to have it installed improperly as most shops don't follow the instructions in the FSM. The shop in Humble knew how to do it right and I highly recommend them.

Trivia question:
How long (exactly) is the distance from the rear hatch glass inside surface to the inside surface of the windshield at the dash board?

I learned this today.

Trivia question:
How long (exactly) is the distance from the rear hatch glass inside surface to the inside surface of the windshield at the dash board?

I learned this today.

/ ---- | :hmm:

9 foot, 11.75 inches.

Yep.

Ouch! Towing the trailer is sometimes worth the hassle of hooking it up. I'll get you the contact info of the place when I get home.

Yea, i was lazy and thought the 2" diameter 10' pvc pipe would fit. and it almost did.

Next Trivia question:
what glass is stronger? front or rear?

Have a 9'4" longboard that I've just been able to close and lock in mine while staying at questionable hotels. Think I had to angle it slightly so 9' even sounds just about right.

Presidential Auto Glass
20102 Townsen Blvd
Humble, TX 77338

I can't find the receipt to give you the exact price, but this is the place. Seemed like good folk and they knew what they were doing with an 80 windshield. Good luck.

Fellow mudder gave me number of an individual that does contract work with a local Toyota dealer. I'm holding off replacing 3 cracked windshields on my 80s but it's on my things to do list. I've also used Safelite AutoGlass who did a good job repairing cracks on my other vehicle windshields. Pm me if you need his number.

I used Safelite for my cracked factory glass. I decided to use the aftermarket glass and they had two options...brown eyebrow or green. I wanted brown since my rig is desert sand in color but I had to settle for green since they were out of stock of the brown. I did purchase the OEM windshield gasket which they used during the install.

Unfortunately the windshield leaked during a week's worth of rain. I had the interior professionally cleaned out and ionized. I also got a quote on replacement of the jute in the passenger side floor board. I sent both estimates to Safelite along with my request to have it repaired. Get this....they sent the same guy out to repair his shotty work, he did it right this time, and they sent me a check for the cleaning and jute repair!

I was disappointed with the inconvenience but was impressed with their professionalism. I owuld not hesitate to use Safelite again. What's more, the install comes with a lifetime installation warranty.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom