Crack/Wear On Front Right Steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi

A mate of mine told me about a crack he had found on his truck so I checked mine over briefly to see if I could find anything. I found this line that I'm not too sure if it's a crack or not. I have attached some pictures and circled the line I'm talking about. Just wondering if anyone with a bit more knowledge than me could help me out.

Thanks

IMG_3133.jpeg

IMG_3153.jpeg

Looks ok to me. It's a very straight line. Simply looks like the machining line where the diameter changes.
I think a crack would be more ragged, and more defined by the colour of rust at the crack.

The sector shafts do have a weakness where they are tapered down to smaller diameter, and where the splines are visible at the pitman arm.

I've had two twist between the pitman arm and the taper. The twist was visible in distorted splines where they are exposed at the pitman arm

Looks ok to me. It's a very straight line. Simply looks like the machining line where the diameter changes.
I think a crack would be more ragged, and more defined by the colour of rust at the crack.

The sector shafts do have a weakness where they are tapered down to smaller diameter, and where the splines are visible at the pitman arm.

I've had two twist between the pitman arm and the taper. The twist was visible in distorted splines where they are exposed at the pitman arm
Thanks mate

Will still probably get it checked out or looked at just in case because I would hate for it to break while I’m in the middle of nowhere.

But I was thinking a similar thing to you because it’s too straight and consistent it doesn’t look like a crack.

Thanks for your input.

It looks like a tooling mark to me.
If you want to do a quick spot check... de-grease that area well, with brake cleaner or carb cleaner, soemthing that evaporates. Then give it a shot of penetrating oil.
Wipe the area of the susspected crack clean with a shop rag then blow air on the suspected crack; if there is a crack, wetness will appear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom