Crack in da head šŸ§ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More info here:
Lots of good info. Looks like pay the piper now or later.

I have no idea what you must be doing under the hood to find that.
Just checking fluids and making sure everything is up to par. I would see oils there end thought hmm thatā€™s odd. Would clean it and then see oil again.

Last edited:
No Jarco, they do several engines a year for dealerships. They use all Toyoya seals and parts. Whatā€™s interesting is it looks the crack is in pretty much the same place as some of the others that reported cracks.

Last edited:
No worries, you really gotta zoom in to see.

View attachment 2777393
I work in testing field that deals with looking for discontinuities in materials. That does look like a crack as evidenced by lightning bolt pattern. If you wanted to be sure of your diagnosis you could perform a penetrant test on the head and would be cheap and easy to confirm that it is in fact a crack.

Run it. Check in a month. If it grows worry about. Drive it as you usually do. Donā€™t baby it.

Run it. Check in a month. If it grows worry about. Drive it as you usually do. Donā€™t baby it.
Thatā€™s what Iā€™m gonna do. I drove from New Orleans to San Antonio about a month ago pulling a trailer with it leaking. Had no issues so will probably just run as is for awhile.

Oil is more likely from valve cover gasket than ā€œcrackā€

I'm pretty confident there is a crack in that head. If you look at the thread I linked several of us have had the head crack in the same location. The thing is the crack is not in a critical location like by a water port or combustion chamber. It will leak a little oil that may make it to the exhaust manifold and smell bad, but not likely to cause any other issue. I ran mine for over 30K miles and the crack was there when I bought the truck. I suppose that given enough time/miles the crack could propagate to a bad location but no indication that has happened to anyone.

If you took a microscope to every square inch of your vehicle you would find dozens of "maybe this will be an issue in 5 years" things. If I were to talk like a dick I'd say drive the damn truck. šŸ¤·

Oil is more likely from valve cover gasket than ā€œcrackā€

Initially thatā€™s what I thought, replaced gasket. Then saw the oil again, at which point I cleaned and saw the crack. Appreciate everyone chiming in. As Tom mentioned, not in a critical area so will just run it as is. Just gonna throw some sealer on it and run it. Now on to rebuilding a knuckle. Always things to do on these trucks.

Yeah thinking just some type of weld or stitches. Yes engine is really clean basically a fully rebuilt engine from Jarco from top to bottom. Itā€™s really nice being able to actually work on things on the truck and not get covered in oil.
jarco is pretty good with their warrantees, they should cover anything except the external sensors. we used them all the time at the dealership and never had a problem with the motors. do they still give you a pocket screwdriver and m&m with the new motor?

jarco is pretty good with their warrantees, they should cover anything except the external sensors. we used them all the time at the dealership and never had a problem with the motors. do they still give you a pocket screwdriver and m&m with the new motor?
Yes got the pocket screwdriver, but no M&M. I went and picked it up at thier shop so thatā€™s prolly why.

Latest update: Jarco sent me an email today stating they have the replacement head in stock, gasket kit and check for labor. Must say I am really impressed with this this level of support and standing behind their product. For those looking for a 1FZE rebuild cannot recommend Jarco enough.

Latest update: Jarco sent me an email today stating they have the replacement head in stock, gasket kit and check for labor. Must say I am really impressed with this this level of support and standing behind their product. For those looking for a 1FZE rebuild cannot recommend Jarco enough.
This is phenomenal. I love hearing about post it Iā€™ve customer service experiences. Good for everyone to know about. Thanks for sharing.

have you taken the valve cover off and had a look from the inside?
Not yet, but from my research same spot others have posted about. I can tell itā€™s getting bigger as more oil is coming. I will get some picks once itā€™s swamped out.

Any updates on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom