1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coyotes 2, humans 0 so far this week

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by 3pits, Aug 8, 2005.

1. 3pits

3pits

Well if anyone remembers my last coyote thread,,,,
    there was a lot of debate on whether it was a coyote, or dogs

sat pm we lost a turkey, partially eaten, I was planning on having it for thanksgiving,, been raising it all year

sun, about 1 hour ago, we lost an 8-12# chicken (broiler escapee),,, dogs going crazy I jump out of bed to get the light I knew where I left last night, gf had moved it, she grabs it goes out shines it we see the little fawker, black, big ears and definatly a coyote,,, chomping on our rescue chicken

I wanted to go out the side door with the rifle and try to sneak it, but her excitement and her getting to the light first ruined that :mad: :mad: !!!

now I am in waiting for it to come back to eat what it killed,,, but now it is tough as the dogs wont alert us bc the animal is dead and not making noise,, so I sit and wait, and check,,,

I should have gone to bed before 1230 last night!!
    ANYONE got any ideas on how to get these things,, I got a clear shot, the horses donkeys and other goats are in a different pasture, I could let the dogs out, but they "might" go after the goats....

poison?
    dogs?
    traps?
    electrified bait food (220v 50amp?)
    bomb?
    or am I just going to have to put out bait chickens and cats and sit on the deck with a rifle?
    I was just complaining about all the animals (50 or so) the time and the cost,, but these 2 animals did not cost anything really nor did they take much time,,,

I know this is going to sound wierd, but the GF REALLY liked that chicken, she (the chicken) had broken her leg 3 times, and hobbled around, kinda goofy but actually had personality,,,, she was so big we called her chickzilla, or chickenstien, or chickchick, or chicken little,, it did not really matter
    I am going out,, any help is appreciated...

2. skyshark186

skyshark186

Media:
    Poison works sometimes. Like as in poisoned meat. Some areas its not legal though.

I would bait a leg trap with a chicken. Make it so he HAS to step into the leg trap to get it. Slightly burry it with leaves or something so its not just a big metal thing sticking up.

3. 3pits

3pits

while in here getting dry, MF comes up and moves the newly dead chicken,,,, the balls!!

4. OZCAL

OZCAL

I don't know nothin' about nothin', but I used to lay down a line of coyote urine to keep cats out of my yard. Is there something coyotes are afraid of, the urine of which you can buy at the hardware store? Bear pee?

5. flintknapper

flintknapper

Bummer!

Sounds like it might be time for a #4 Victor. I don't like to use poisons...as they are indiscriminate killers.

With a leg hold trap (if checked regularly, and before daylight) you can dispatch any animal caught with the least amount of trauma. Similarly, you can release anything that you don't want to destroy.. (assuming you've got the balls) and let it go on its way. You don't always catch what you're after is what I'm saying.

If you decide to go "leg hold" then be sure to allow time.. and make the effort to check it regularly (DO NOT FAIL ON THIS MATTER). If you want to know how and where to make a "set"... post back or PM me.

Sorry to hear you've got depredation problems again. When "Yodel Dogs" get bold enough to start coming up around out buildings or your house.. then its a sure bet they'll be back.

6. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    Dude.....

Call Rambo.

7. 3pits

3pits

40-60 feet from the house, definatley within the "food" perimeter, 15 feet from a penned up dog,,little 60# boxer/pit/lab mix,,,lover not a hater, but wants him some o dat coyote,,

I am not in favor of the poison, I got to catch the cats keep them inside, and with the rarity of when this coyote comes for dinner it might take a few days weeks to catch him. There are some "feral" cats too that come up and eat the cat food on the back porch, possums, raccoons,,, I guess they could get into the leg trap too

what ever I catch will meet its maker,, not afraid of that, be it dog or other,, I think it would be cruel to let it go after it had a leg trap on,,,

my animals will be away from the trap, the only thing I cannot keep from the trap is the guinea,,, I dont care about them anyway,, I keep wishing they would get killed,,,, but I better watch what I wish for

by the way flint, I know you were the most skeptical about it being a coyote vs dog, and I understand that, but this time we saw it, bout the size of a 40-50# dog height wise, blackish big ears some white maybe on face... definatley not a dog,, could have been a HUGE fox,,, but I dont think so,,

I will post pics later of where this is happening and how close it is to the house/shed,,, it is out in the open semi near a tree line (40' away)

8. fj40crusher

fj40crusher

I would suggest a suicide turkey bomber. Strap some C-4 or equivilant to a turkey/chicken. Cellular remote detonator.

Well, on second thought. Just shoot the fawker.

9. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    Electronic calls work well. Use a rabbit decoy placed in a good shooting lane around dusk. .223, 22-.250 JHP. You might get more than one.

GL

Ed

10. flintknapper

flintknapper

The color is uncharacteristic of a Coyote for this time of year. In the winter the guard hairs have a black tip and can impart a darker color. The size is consistent with a VERY large male...but your description leads me to believe you're looking at a "Coy-dog".

No matter though, Coyotes can and do kill domestic livestock and fowl around houses and WILL be back.

Leghold traps if properly sized do nothing more than "hold" an animal, (and only then) if caught above the "ankle joint". If over sized, they will break the leg bone and this is to be avoided. I have released quite a few feral cats from a #2 (no worse for the wear) while trapping coons many years ago. I no longer trap...but when I did I went to live traps just because its easier to release what you don't want..not because they are more effective or humane (they're not).

The alternative to pursuing this predator is to simply accept it as part of rural living. For the most part thats what we do....(Hogs being the exception).

Good luck to you, maybe he'll move on or die of old age something....ain't life in the country great?

11. Shahram

Shahram I ain't got herpes no more.

You know what coyotes hate more than anything?

Smooches.

Find away to trap the little bastard without hurting him, then reach into the cage, pull out the coyote, and go to town baby-talking and kissing him on the snout and lips. Be very affectionate, and very rough. Make him snuggle with you on his back for four hours straight on a really hot afternoon while you watch soap operas. No matter how hard he tries, DO NOT let him get into a more comfortable position, or leave your arms. Keep kissing, keep baby-talking. That coyote will be humiliated, pissed, and depressed. He won't be able to face the other coyotes and will move to another town in shame.

Or, he'll dig it and you got yourself a wittle-bitty-snuggle-buddy to cuddle with while you watch your soaps.

12. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

To be honest...I like Shahram's idea. Shame the damned things into keeping away. Seriously, once the other coyotes find out that it's been watching soaps all day...he'll never be able to show his face in the coyote community again.

What's the deal with your dog(s) going after your goats? I thought your pits were well behaved...

As you can tell...I'm pretty much a city kid nowadays. Aside from suggesting a rifle w/scope and being very patient, I don't have any good suggestions for your critter problem.

13. lowenbrau

lowenbrau

I'm surprized the donkeys are letting coyotes get that close. Some people up here use donkeys to protect their livestock. I don't know if they are dumb or brave but a little donkey will chase a pack of coyotes all nght.

I second the calling them in approch. Set your self up in a comfortable blind and call them. They're suckers for a wounded rabbit.

14. Gundy

Gundy

traps, snares

are your best bet. Both feral dogs/coyotes are very cunning and very alert.
    To shoot the sucker you could try bait and a predator call.
    They like those predator calls.
    Most locals here about use traps. The coyotes have about wiped
    out the foxes around here.
    Hehe.....I don't see as many feral cats however. ;)

15. flintknapper

flintknapper

Tell ya what........I'll fly you in from wherever you are in the world and let you be the first to "pull out the Coyote" provided I get to film it...and then distribute the film as I please. All proceeds belong to me BUT I will pay your medical expenses.

Oh, and Alaskan Brown Bear dislike "smooches" too I'm told. I forget the guys name...but he's the author of the book "MAULED".

16. gulp3000

gulp3000

I call a lot in the winter and usually get a couple during a full day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Calling a specific coyote can be very hard. Traps, and snares are a good bet, but it takes effort and some know-how to to be successful. Throwing a snare up on 10-12 trails without the right set-up, scent control, and appearance, probably won't yield much, but I'm sure there is some good info on trapping sites to be had with a little googling.

For a quick solution, I would advise a bait site away from the house in an area open enough for clear shooting, a blind a couple hundred yards away downwind, an accurate rifle, a spotlight, a comfortable seat, and a couple long nights. Every few minutes, scan the bait area with the light. Don't shine it directly on the bait and surrounding area. Don't shine it directly on them, just use the edges of the beam unless you have a red lens. Their eyes will give them away.

A bait that requires the coyote (coydog, dog, chubacabra, whatever) to work a little so you have a little time to see it, shoot it, and maybe get a crack at his buddy as he's leaving would help. Baiting with stuff that's easily picked up and carried off might work, but given the choice, a coyote will grab a piece - retreat to gulp it down away from his buddies, and then come back. Making them work on a carcass offers a pretty good opportunity to send him yo coyote heaven.

I'm guessing he's got some domestic genes in him although coyotes can be found very dark. I was at a calling contest and out of 272 coyotes, the biggest was 36#. Easterns run bigger, but they are really pretty small under their coat.

Killing this chicken thief may help for a while, but without changing your set-up on your place, you will have more problems. Coyotes are smart and if one figures out a way to get a few free meals, another will figure it out as well. Their job is finding food 24/7 with a little break to sleep and mate. Very cool animals.

17. pappy

pappy photosynthesizing Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I would call your local Game and Fish department first. There might be some laws to be concerned about. The USDA also has a division of Wildlife Services that deals with trouble wildlife. They might actually come out and trap the animal for you since there has been a loss. The local USDA guy is a crack up. He has given several sessions at our CEU classes and at times I'm sure he offends the soft and fuzzy bunch. You should hear him talk about prairie dogs ... he really likes those. USDA was very helpful with us getting the Fish and Wildlife permit to deal with our goose problem (humans 5, geese 2, game over 'til next year).

18. 3pits

3pits

well it was dark 417 am, so the color is not exact, the stuffed one at the library is mostly black, our neighbor killed one that that was almost shepherd red,, but obvioulsy coyote
    I saw one in the back pasture that was patchwork, like a cat

we are considering just that, accepting it, but we would have to get rid of delilah the pig, dawn the pig, and like 10 goats,, 2 llamas, horses? maybe not,, can you see a coyote jumping on my 2k percheron?,,, anyway we had the banty, turkey guinea, this one chicken out to eat bugs etc, now the only thing left other than the 4 legged ones are the guinea,, I wish they would get eaten,,,they suck loud obnoxious, a lot like the pit haters here hehe,,, calm down, just a jab,,,

I have spoken directly with the game warden, he asked if he could come and help!!! (he meant come out shooting) but pappy has an idea I wonder if with allwe have lost if they would come out bc it seems we got an explosion of coyotes in this area,,,Ill call and check thanks

I have tried the calls in a field, sat in trees, sat on the ground, had hog in estrus scent nothing has brought them out yet, except a 14# turkey near the house ,, read,, hard to get a good shot with out shooting thru fences or possibly having other animals behind the shot,,

ooooo hogs, I would love to hunt some hogs!!!

norcal my pits are well behaved but even the basset goes for goat everyso often, and I was refering to my pits are well behaved when it comes to humans I NEVER said they are not animal aggressive, human aggression and animal aggression is like black and white,,, that said I have called my female off another animal without touching her,,, speaking German!

lowenbrau, the donkey in that pasture is protecting the 3 nubians about 1/4 mile away, and these animals were killed in the corral, so the donkeys all around the corral could not do any good,,

gundy we got ferel cats out our AZZ,,, again I try to shoot, but they run so my 62 is behind them, or the 30k tractor, or the arabians,,, or the 80, the 40, the basset,, I cannot get a good shot from the
    house,,,

gulp good advice, I got the red lens,, but have been shining it on the bait, this morning I went out int eh rain with the wind in my face, coming over the bait (dead warm chicken) got out the call, played the yelping pups, waited, went inside, dried off, checked email, went outside, mofo had come up and moved the chicken, closer to the house!!!

19. srafj40

srafj40

Name the only animal to increase it's range in the America's in the last 200 years. :flipoff2: :D

Not a battle you are likely to win. Many Native American tribes revere their spirit for a reason.

Best of luck.

Oh, you may want to get a small poodle or some lap dog, and poison its collar. At least in Tucson that seems to be "Coyote's" favorite snack. :D

20. Cards81fan

Cards81fan

Can't help with the coyotes, but since our apartment complex for a dog that can outrun the cats (read: my 13 lb and 30 mph italian greyhound), the feral cats have moved to less dangerous areas.