Events/Trails Coyote Flats trip Labor Day Weekend (9/3-7) 2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phalconoverland.com
Now that we are a week away....

Departure Plan:

Thursday: I am leaving Escondido at 7AM. Gas at I15/76 park and ride at 7:30, rolling out by 8AM with 4 hours and 30 mins of drive time no traffic so some amount longer given we will hit some traffic. For those along the route that want to do a rolling start raise us on comms and we can pick you up as we pass your on-ramp. We will likely swing through some fast food around noon and gas up. We will hit Bishop by 1:30-2PM. We will gas up one last time, get ice, purchase the things we remembered we forgot along the way, and hit the mountain. From there it's about an hour and a half to our campsite! We should be setting up camp by 4PM cracking a cold one and getting ready for awesome grub.

Comms: CB 22 or HAM 146.490. If anyone only has FRS we can start out on channel 1.

Some pictures to assist anyone who is heading up for the first time and/or by themselves... basically make the first right once you are on the plateau... Note that I had to remove some of last year's pictures to make the mud-limit.

1598647881914.png

Here is where we are going in reference to Funnel Lake which is the little gold pin at the top....

1598648085971.png

Menu

Thursday: Burgers / dogs /easy stuff
Friday: BBQ Theme
Saturday: Chili cook off
Sunday: Surprise us

Head count
Elripster with 3 kids and grandpa
Phulcum plus kid and maybe more kid/wife
Outsane?
BMinSD
CruiserBauers
Hamilt0n
Landcruising

The link below has tons boiler plate info so I won't repeat it all here but do check it out as well as the pics towards the end. I will note that this is completely self supporting / remote camping. Temps can range from 20-75 degF in one day - extra blankets/bags are nice at night.

Link from last year.

The wheeling is not that hard but you want to make sure vehicle maintenance is up to date. Bring 5 gallons of gas unless you have a 60... bring 10.
A note on driving difficulty. Last year my wife met us up there in our 4WD Z71 Suburban (has, and def needed its rear locker). Suffice to say, while the truck had no issues actually getting there, it wears a few battle scars... so anyone trying to gauge the trip can use this as a reference. In general, and 4WD with low range, decent tires, and a little lift will do very well.

We will fishing for trout so if you fish bring trout gear.

Comms: CB 22 or HAM 146.490. If anyone only has FRS we can start out on channel 1

There is no cell service at most of the plateau but I found last year that if you drive to east overlook which is only 20 minutes or so you can get excellent service.

This year we are going to plan the trip around Labor Day vs. early last year's early August dates. The pluses are the extra day off helps and places like Baker Lake will see the minimum levels of bugs vs. July and August. The downside is it gets colder at night. We have been up there over Labor Day before and never had any issues with crowds - it's just too remote.

We will use the same camp spot as last year. It can probably accommodate 50 rigs, is easy to find, and is centrally located making it an easy launch to other places. It's location also seems well shielded from wind vs. Funnel Lake which seems to, well, funnel the wind to max velocity at night.

1592496500851.png

I am planning the trip from Thursday to Monday to have a camping to drive ratio >1 but expect some will travel Friday which is fine.

Loose itinerary:

Friday: Travel day for some, day trip to check out Funnel Lake. The fishing is typically non-existent but there are some fun and more challenging trails to get there and it makes for a fun place to hang out, drop a line, let the kids run around, etc... It would be a lunch trip. We won't be far from our camp and can return within about an hour. We can swing by the east side to get cell service and check the forum for updates/questions.

Saturday: Baker/Hidden lake for fishing. Note that the fish are most active early morning and late evening and both of these lakes have had lots of fish. In the past we have gotten there mid day and our luck has been spotty. This year we will aim to prep breakfast the night before and get an early start to the lakes. That would have us heading back to camp early afternoon to enjoy an epic B&T dinner. This is much better than trying to hike back to our trucks in the dark, etc... Bring good hiking shoes but also water shoes (large shallow shelf), light weight - easy to carry chair if you have one, and ability pack gear, lunch, etc... it's about a 30-40 minute hike to the lake.

Sunday: TBD. We could return to Funnel or Baker or decide to take on a more epic journey to Green Lake which traverses some excellent almost other-worldly terrain, awesome views, and a bit of 4WD challenge. We can chose to hike down to the lake if we wish or hang on the plateau that over looks it. Or, we want some wheeling challenge, we could take the south loop back to 395 and come back up the Big Pine route (something I have never done before).

Monday: Travel day home.

How to get there..

Google will happily take you all the way to Funnel Lake so just put that into your phone to get to the plateau. The only deviation to make is that about a mile after you make the left onto the plateau (the first fork below), you will make a right turn which will take you over a short hill and drop into the camp site noted by "camp spots" below. If you get the right turn to Funnel, make a u-turn and find the road over the hill.

1592497374443.png

While this patch of snow on the left will most certainly have melted this year, this is what the hill looks like that you drive over when turning right... That bowl/patch of snow is just to the left of the road to camp.
1592497529558.png

I so very hope we can get a big turnout. The plateau is amazing and has so much fun potential. In addition to the wheeling, fishing, and hiking there are also mountain biking opportunities.

Please post up if you can go and if you have any menu suggestions so we can continue to crush it at camp food!

Frank

Last edited:
Then in you shall be!

Want me to list you under head count?

I figured I get this trip planning nice and early this year.

The link below has tons boiler plate info so I won't repeat it all here but do check it out as well as the pics towards the end. I will note that this is completely self supporting / remote camping. Temps can range from 20-75 degF in one day - extra blankets/bags are nice at night.

Link from last year.

The wheeling is not that hard but you want to make sure vehicle maintenance is up to date. Bring 5 gallons of gas unless you have a 60... bring 10.
A note on driving difficulty. Last year my wife met us up there in our 4WD Z71 Suburban (has, and def needed its rear locker). Suffice to say, while the truck had no issues actually getting there, it wears a few battle scars... so anyone trying to gauge the trip can use this as a reference. In general, and 4WD with low range, decent tires, and a little lift will do very well.

View attachment 2343910

We will fishing for trout so if you fish bring trout gear.

Comms: CB 22 or HAM 146.490. If anyone only has FRS we can start out on channel 1

There is no cell service at most of the plateau but I found last year that if you drive to west overlook which is only 20 minutes or so you can get excellent service.

This year we are going to plan the trip around Labor Day vs. early last year's early August dates. The pluses are the extra day off helps and places like Baker Lake will see the minimum levels of bugs vs. July and August. The downside is it gets colder at night. We have been up there over Labor Day before and never had any issues with crowds - it's just too remote.

We will use the same camp spot as last year. It can probably accommodate 50 rigs, is easy to find, and is centrally located making it an easy launch to other places. It's location also seems well shielded from wind vs. Funnel Lake which seems to, well, funnel the wind to max velocity at night.

View attachment 2343911
View attachment 2343912

I am planning the trip from Thursday to Monday to have a camping to drive ratio >1 but expect some will travel Friday which is fine.

Menu

Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday:
Sunday:

Head count
Elripster likely with part or whole herd (wife + 3 boys + dog)

Loose itinerary:

Thursday: Travel day. We will roll out a 7AM to miss traffic and ensure we get to the plateau early enough to set up camp. It will take most of a day to get from door to camp including a last gas / ice / wood stop and acquiring any supplies you inevitably forgot. Count on 2 hours from where you leave pavement in Lone Pine and make the climb.

Friday: Travel day for some, day trip to check out Funnel Lake. The fishing is typically non-existent but there are some fun and more challenging trails to get there and it makes for a fun place to hang out, drop a line, let the kids run around, etc... It would be a lunch trip. We won't be far from our camp and can return within about an hour. We can swing by the east side to get cell service and check the forum for updates/questions.

Saturday: Baker/Hidden lake for fishing. Note that the fish are most active early morning and late evening and both of these lakes have had lots of fish. In the past we have gotten there mid day and our luck has been spotty. This year we will aim to prep breakfast the night before and get an early start to the lakes. That would have us heading back to camp early afternoon to enjoy an epic B&T dinner. This is much better than trying to hike back to our trucks in the dark, etc... Bring good hiking shoes but also water shoes (large shallow shelf), light weight - easy to carry chair if you have one, and ability pack gear, lunch, etc... it's about a 30-40 minute hike to the lake.

Sunday: TBD. We could return to Funnel or Baker or decide to take on a more epic journey to Green Lake which traverses some excellent almost other-worldly terrain, awesome views, and a bit of 4WD challenge. We can chose to hike down to the lake if we wish or hang on the plateau that over looks it. Or, we want some wheeling challenge, we could take the south loop back to 395 and come back up the Lone Pine route (something I have never done before).

Monday: Travel day home.

How to get there..

Google will happily take you all the way to Funnel Lake so just put that into your phone to get to the plateau. The only deviation to make is that about a mile after you make the left onto the plateau (the first fork below), you will make a right turn which will take you over a short hill and drop into the camp site noted by "camp spots" below. If you get the right turn to Funnel, make a u-turn and find the road over the hill.

View attachment 2343916

While this patch of snow on the left will most certainly have melted this year, this is what the hill looks like that you drive over when turning right... That bowl/patch of snow is just to the left of the road to camp.
View attachment 2343921

I so very hope we can get a big turnout. The plateau is amazing and has so much fun potential. In addition to the wheeling, fishing, and hiking there are also mountain biking opportunities.

Please post up if you can go and if you have any menu suggestions so we can continue to crush it at camp food!

Frank
Do you leave pavement in Lone Pine or Bishop?

Do you leave pavement in Lone Pine or Bishop?

Oh shoot, it's actually Big Pine but is in between just south of Bishop. I will correct the post.

1592499639051.png

I think your optional return line is down into Big Pine but your map looks like you're turning on Line St. in Bishop? Maybe I'm all wet I don't know.

Damn it!!! I'll be hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail! I missed last year because I was hiking the John Muir Trail, seems to be a trend. Do you have access to my calendar and are you purposefully planning these trips so I can't make them? I take offense.

I promise I am not doing that on purpose. I myself am working around school and work schedules.

Frank

I think your optional return line is down into Big Pine but your map looks like you're turning on Line St. in Bishop? Maybe I'm all wet I don't know.

You are correct. The other route leaves Big Pine. While it looks shorter on the map, it is much more challenging. There are a number of trip reports where people turned back mid way. I'd love to check it out but maybe after gear is unloaded at camp.

Frank

You are correct. The other route leaves Big Pine. While it looks shorter on the map, it is much more challenging. There are a number of trip reports where people turned back mid way. I'd love to check it out but maybe after gear is unloaded at camp.

Frank
Ask @Loober he has done that route

Yea that backside route is no joke, I wouldnt recommend it for full size rigs filled with kids. Very tight, with off camber and steep drop offs.

I wouldn't want to pull a trailer through that either.

EDIT

We are in... now just need to get two days off of work. Have the time off and coming!

Last edited:
Nice. It will be a rocking good time.

Just got back from a trip to the flats over the 4th.

We took the standard route in from Bishop (Baker Lake via Coyote Valley) and had no issues. Stock Runner, GX, etc. should be fine. The first couple of miles and last 3/4 mile are probably the most challenging.

IMG_6249.JPG

There are some great camp spots at the end of 32E301. Walk around and find the gem in there. Hiked up to and fished Hidden and Baker (trail head is a little hard to find but it is depicted on the USGS Topo); caught a bunch of Golden and Brookies. Fantastic time.

When we left, we hopped on the 32E303 trail that takes you down to Big Pine past Sugarloaf but ran into some dudes ripping up the trail in side by sides who told us that we were probably going to be in over our heads. Ended up turning around and heading out the norther route back to Bishop and it sounds like it was the prudent call.

Whetting the pallet....

Good question.

So I usually just set my phone to Funnel Lake. Google knows exactly how to get there and will take you up the Bishop side which is by far the easiest. Whether you go to Funnel is up to you but it will get you to the plateau. There are more dedicated apps like Gaia but I haven't used them.

Any 4WD with low range and decent tires should be able to get there. I recently saw a video where some Honda Ridgelines overheated their transmissions on the way up hence why low range is important for the climb and in my opinion, safer descents as well. That said, the 2 miles into Funnel can be challenging and will bang up skid plates on many, though not all, stock height trucks. Similarly the last mile or two to Baker Lake has a few challenging sections for stock rigs but is makeble. Otherwise, the plateau itself is mild wheeling.

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom