Events/Trails Cowboy Breakfast Overlooking Cabazon - Saturday November 2nd (1 Viewer)

Which location do you prefer for our 2019 Cowboy/Cowgirl Breakfast

• The Jemez is the way to go

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • The Puerco rocks and its close

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I don't mind either location - I just need to get some trail time in!

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
UPDATE 10/19/2019

Fellow HDC members,

Lets have another Cowboy (okay also Cowgirl!) breakfast in the bush Saturday Nov 2nd. We have decided to do this breakfast on a beautiful mesa overlooking the Cabazon. This spot is about a 1 hour drive from NM-528 and US-550. 95% of the drive is paved and the last mile or so is an improved gravel BLM road with a few hundred yards of easy trail off the gravel. Cars can make it to the breakfast site without issue.

After the breakfast, Dennis will lead the Jemez Mountain Clean Up vehicle recovery for those interested. Please refer to that post for those details. BTW - big THANK YOU Dennis for allowing the club to help on this one!

Breakfast
Coordinates: 35.70188, -107.11065
Breakfast Time: 0800 - 0930
Date: Saturday Nov 2nd

Optional Camp-out
Date: Friday Nov 1st evening

Like the prior years, you are welcome to join some of us heading out Friday the 1st after work and camp out . Others are welcome to join us for breakfast in the morning on Saturday. It might be chilly at this time and it can get winding up on the mesa, so come prepared. This is a family friendly event - dogs, pets and kids are all welcome!

I will buy all of the food for breakfast and Frank will probably make his delicious green chili stew. He will also probably bring his disc grill and I will be flipping pancakes. There will be lots of hot coffee. There is no charge for any of this - just come out and enjoy some good food and conversation. If you want, you can give a donation and all proceeds will be given to our Club Treasurer - Pappy, who then sends the funds to a local off road organization that helps us keep our trails open. I think I had about $85 bucks in my pocket last year!

As mentioned above, we decided to fold in the Jemez Mountain Clean up after the breakfast for those members that wish to help the US Forest Service. We are hoping to depart right after breakfast. Dennis said he might lead the group over 126 out of Cuba to the recovery site. 126 is a very tame semi-improved gravel road. Stock vehicles will enjoy the run over the hill. Dennis and I thought it was best if we kept both threads updated. So feel free to post on Dennis thread on that topic.

Jeff (ASA krazykat69) has agreed to lead a trail run after breakfast for those members that would prefer that type of challenge. Big thanks for stepping up Jeff - I have followed you before and you are a awseome trail leader with a vast knowlege of the area.

We will parse up the groups that prefer to either:
  1. Do their own thing;
  2. Go with Dennis and do some cool recovery for a cause", or
  3. Hang with Jeff and see some sweet back country.
I might even be up to spend the 2nd night (Saturday) camping.

If you post up that you are going to join, then I will keep a tally below.

Poupon

Confirmed:
Poupon
Frank
krazykat69
Mauser
SWflowseeker
ststephen69s
bearman512
krazykat69

Last edited:
I will plan to attend and may even camp that friday night.

I'm in!

I’m in as well. Sounds like fun.

I ( Jeff), plan on camping out Friday night at the breakfast site. Weather permitting. Also, I can lead a trail ride in that area, on Saturday. Would leave camp site in later morning and finish late afternoon, back near campsite. Sundown would be around 6-6:30 pm this time of year. This would be a easy/moderate ride exploring canyons and mesas on rugged dirt roads on BLM lands. Have gas tanks full, and dress for the weather. I have CB and HAM radios for comm.
Nice weather would tempt me to camp on Sat night, also, but would make that decision on Sat.
So, this ride would happen only if there were folks who are not planning on doing the vehicle recovery ride that same day.

I ( Jeff), plan on camping out Friday night at the breakfast site. Weather permitting. Also, I can lead a trail ride in that area, on Saturday. Would leave camp site in later morning and finish late afternoon, back near campsite. Sundown would be around 6-6:30 pm this time of year. This would be a easy/moderate ride exploring canyons and mesas on rugged dirt roads on BLM lands. Have gas tanks full, and dress for the weather. I have CB and HAM radios for comm.
Nice weather would tempt me to camp on Sat night, also, but would make that decision on Sat.
So, this ride would happen only if there were folks who are not planning on doing the vehicle recovery ride that same day.

Hello Jeff
We will be at the breakfast, would like to join you for the trail ride! No camping for us....Looks to be a bit to cold.

UPDATE 10/19/2019

Fellow HDC members,

Lets have another Cowboy (okay also Cowgirl!) breakfast in the bush Saturday Nov 2nd. We have decided to do this breakfast on a beautiful mesa overlooking the Cabazon. This spot is about a 1 hour drive from NM-528 and US-550. 95% of the drive is paved and the last mile or so is an improved gravel BLM road with a few hundred yards of easy trail off the gravel. Cars can make it to the breakfast site without issue.

After the breakfast, Dennis will lead the Jemez Mountain Clean Up vehicle recovery for those interested. Please refer to that post for those details. BTW - big THANK YOU Dennis for allowing the club to help on this one!

Breakfast
Coordinates: 35.70188, -107.11065
Breakfast Time: 0800 - 0930
Date: Saturday Nov 2nd

Optional Camp-out
Date: Friday Nov 1st evening

Like the prior years, you are welcome to join some of us heading out Friday the 1st after work and camp out . Others are welcome to join us for breakfast in the morning on Saturday. It might be chilly at this time and it can get winding up on the mesa, so come prepared. This is a family friendly event - dogs, pets and kids are all welcome!

I will buy all of the food for breakfast and Frank will probably make his delicious green chili stew. He will also probably bring his disc grill and I will be flipping pancakes. There will be lots of hot coffee. There is no charge for any of this - just come out and enjoy some good food and conversation. If you want, you can give a donation and all proceeds will be given to our Club Treasurer - Pappy, who then sends the funds to a local off road organization that helps us keep our trails open. I think I had about $85 bucks in my pocket last year!

As mentioned above, we decided to fold in the Jemez Mountain Clean up after the breakfast for those members that wish to help the US Forest Service. We are hoping to depart right after breakfast. Dennis said he might lead the group over 126 out of Cuba to the recovery site. 126 is a very tame semi-improved gravel road. Stock vehicles will enjoy the run over the hill. Dennis and I thought it was best if we kept both threads updated. So feel free to post on Dennis thread on that topic.

Jeff (ASA krazykat69) has agreed to lead a trail run after breakfast for those members that would prefer that type of challenge. Big thanks for stepping up Jeff - I have followed you before and you are a awseome trail leader with a vast knowlege of the area.

We will parse up the groups that prefer to either:
  1. Do their own thing;
  2. Go with Dennis and do some cool recovery for a cause", or
  3. Hang with Jeff and see some sweet back country.
I might even be up to spend the 2nd night (Saturday) camping.

If you post up that you are going to join, then I will keep a tally below.

Poupon

Confirmed:
Poupon
Frank
krazykat69
Mauser
SWflowseeker
ststephen69s
bearman512
krazykat69

What is the best way to get out to the campsite? The dirt road that goes to White Mesa?

I’m also thinking it’s colder than I’m prepared to camp in, but am definitely coming to breakfast! Does anyone want to caravan up? It would be nice but be aware that my top speed is 100kph (62mph) and I slow down on the big hill shortly before the turnoff to Cabezon to about 45mph towards the top. I think with the cooler weather I’m opting to go on Jeff’s ride.

I'll be there for breakfast and will probably help Dennis on the extractions.

What is the best way to get out to the campsite? The dirt road that goes to White Mesa?
Glad you can make it for breakfast.
Best way to camp site is hwy 550 to San Ysidro. Fill up with gas, snacks there. Then continue on Hwy 550 toward Cuba,NM. Drive about 15 miles, then turn off hwy 550, left,, south , on paved hwy 279. This takes you south, thru the small town of San Luis, NM. Follow the pavement about 6 miles and it takes a sharp right, west. Dirt road continues south, BUT, do not take it, follow the pavement toward Torreon, NM.
Drive about 2 miles up hill and look for a major dirt road crossing the pavement, BLM 1101, I think, at top of a hill. Turn south, left , on BLM 1101. Site within a mile, turning left off of this BLM road, and following small dirt road to the end.
How is that?

Much faster than driving dirt roads by White Mesa.

Last edited:
I'll try to make it with Isabelle and planning on helping out with the extraction.

Yeah I should be heading out for the breakfast and the extraction as well

I'll try to make it with Isabelle and planning on helping out with the extraction.

I am hoping you make it. I think you have the best onboard air setup. Sure would be nice for mounting tires.

I am hoping you make it. I think you have the best onboard air setup. Sure would be nice for mounting tires.

Yup, I'll be there with my teenager. If anyone can bring their dog, she'll be occupied for hours ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom