Events/Trails Cowboy Breakfast at Rock Bowl Beach Camp - Saturday October 29th - 9 AM - COLD ALERT! (1 Viewer)

Attendance Poll for Cowboy Breakfast Event

• Yes - I will be attending - but not camping

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Yes - I will be attending and will be camping

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Maybe - will let you know

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • No - but maybe next time

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fellow HDC members,

UPDATE: - Please be prepared for cold conditions in the evenings and mornings.

Lets have another Cowboy / Cowgirl breakfast in the bush Saturday October 29th. This is the 5th Saturday in October (last Saturday), so this event will be IN ADDITION to our normal breakfast meeting (Oct 15 - see breakfast meeting thread here).

We have decided to do this breakfast at a really nice camp spot just south of Cuba off of US 550. Jeff Boggs and I found this spot a two years or so ago and have returned several times. This spot (35.86163, -106.93470) is about a 1 - 1.25 hour drive from NM-528 and US-550. 95% of the drive is paved and the last few miles are unimproved dirt road. You will find more information about how to find the spot below.

Cars can make this one, but only camping trailers with major clearance, like Ali's Kimber style trailer or Frank's Smitty style, can make the one aggressive "dip" that goes through a wash. HDC members will be camping Friday and Saturday nights. I will not be able to attend this one.

Tips on finding the location: If you follow these turns, you may get to Rock Bowl Beach without issue. We will monitor 146.400. There is limited/no cell phone at the beach.

This was once a BEACH. Sand is at the beach!
  • 1 - Start at US 550 & CR 11 (35.84460, -106.96637)
  • 2 - Head to the end of the semi-improved road (NM - CR 11 to BLM Dirt (35.85991, -106.95545))
  • 3 - Cross the wash at this spot. You are headed towards RBB (35.85750, -106.93764)
  • 4 - find your way to this waypoint and turn east/right into the Rock Bowl Beach Campsite (35.86066, -106.93597)
  • Enjoy!
Let me know if somebody would like to volunteered to lead a moderate trail run on Saturday after breakfast. Last year we departed from camp and followed various trails that had some moderate articulation and some tight clearance requirements, if memory serves me correctly. Stock vehicles may have some difficulty with a few spots, so be warned.

Breakfast
Coordinates: 35.86163, -106.93470
Breakfast Time: 1000 - 1130 (UPDATED)
Date: Saturday October 29th 2022h
HAM: 146.400

Optional Camp-out
Date: Friday October 28th and Saturday October 29th evenings.

Since this year's event is a little later in the year, it may be a bit colder. So if camping, be prepared for colder/freezing weather. Although it will be cold in the mornings and evenings, weather looks to be "perfect" for this time of year.

Like the prior years, you are welcome to join some of us heading out Friday the 28th after work and camp out. Others are welcome to join us for breakfast in the morning on Saturday and/or camp with some of us on Saturday evening. This is a family friendly event - dogs, pets and kids are all welcome!

Frank and Jeff will be making breakfast burritos with coffee and fixings - all no charge. You are welcome to bring your own breakfast. Any donations you wish to make will go into the club coffers to be used for our xmas party or donations to off road organizations. Please give your donations to Pappy, who has confirmed he will be there. Thank you all for donating.

Poupon

Confirmed:
Frank
@Poupon (Unable to Attend)

krazykat69

pappy

Dumpolina

alia176

ststephen69s

2manycruisers

Last edited:
Hope to make this event. Thanks for getting a fun event off the ground.

Sounds like fun. I'm in.

Thanks Larry, looking fwd to it and will try to drag my minion like last time ;).

Please vote so that Larry and Frank know how much food to buy/cook/etc.

I’m planning to come at least for breakfast and perhaps camp both nights. Too soon to tell however about camping.

Looks like camping most likely both nights. My new van probably not suited to trail ride but might like to tag along with someone if they have some room. Unless headed out Cabezon way might take van then.

Last edited:
If I can be there on Sat morning, I can lead a ride into the Jemez , La Ventana area, or out toward Cabezon peak area. Will let you know when this event gets closer.
I am a Maybe, right now. Really hope to be there, TOO much fun, to miss. Thanks for doing the cooking.

Alright, my friend Dylan is planning on coming for at least the breakfast. He’s signed up for the forum with the handle "thattallhippie". Should be posting an introductorion some time today. So add another one to the breakfast count. I am still planning on camping on Saturday night. Looking forward to it.

I will plan to be there early on Sat morning for breakfast. Picking up my brother, James , from his Jemez campsite , then we will be there.
Can lead a 4x4 ride , if there is any interest.

If it’s a ride somewhere that I won‘t scratch my new van (my wife is not ready for that) and doesn’t require low gear I would go, or ride with someone who doesn’t mind a passenger.

Looking forward to the breakfast. Does anybody know if there’s going to be a ride? Is there any interest?

Last edited:
Looking forward to the breakfast. Does anybody know if there’s going to be a ride? Is there any interest?
I think we can decide on a ride at breakfast. Let's eat and visit, first.
I am good with going on a ride, but not keen on a bunch of mud. IH8MUD. :)

I think we can decide on a ride at breakfast. Let's eat and visit, first.
I am good with going on a ride, but not keen on a bunch of mud. IH8MUD. :)
Sounds good to me!

Fellow HDC members,

I have tested positive for CV19. I apparently got the stuff while traveling last week to London (lots of planes, trains, hand shaking - no mask - duh!). Even though there is a good chance that I will no longer be contagious by Friday, I have decided it is best for the safety of others, that I not attend.

I have spoken to Frank and Jeff regarding logistics. They are both keen to keep going and Jeff has agreed to step in to assist Frank with meal prep and other related efforts (big thanks to you guys!!). Frank is going to swing by my place on Friday and grab all the goodies that I will purchase. I am sure the breakfast burritos will be delicious.

Frank visited the Rock Bowl last week and said that the "bowl" like geographic features may be trapping in the cold night air. So please be prepared for cold weather, which I love as long as I am warm! I have updated the leading message to remind members that it will be very cold. Jeff suggested we start the "official" breakfast at 10 - which is now reflected above.

I am sorry I will miss this one. I hope everybody has fun and is safe. Do post up pics. I look forward to some interesting stories.

Fellow HDC members,

I have tested positive for CV19. I apparently got the stuff while traveling last week to London (lots of planes, trains, hand shaking - no mask - duh!). Even though there is a good chance that I will no longer be contagious by Friday, I have decided it is best for the safety of others, that I not attend.

I have spoken to Frank and Jeff regarding logistics. They are both keen to keep going and Jeff has agreed to step in to assist Frank with meal prep and other related efforts (big thanks to you guys!!). Frank is going to swing by my place on Friday and grab all the goodies that I will purchase. I am sure the breakfast burritos will be delicious.

Frank visited the Rock Bowl last week and said that the "bowl" like geographic features may be trapping in the cold night air. So please be prepared for cold weather, which I love as long as I am warm! I have updated the leading message to remind members that it will be very cold. Jeff suggested we start the "official" breakfast at 10 - which is now reflected above.

I am sorry I will miss this one. I hope everybody has fun and is safe. Do post up pics. I look forward to some interesting stories.
Sorry you’re not going to be there! Was looking forward to late campfire talk!

Dang, sorry Larry! I wish you a very speedy recovery

I’m 87% sure I’ll be there about 9:30-10. I won’t need food or coffee
See you guys most likely mañana

Fellow HDC members,

UPDATE: - Please be prepared for cold conditions in the evenings and mornings.

Lets have another Cowboy / Cowgirl breakfast in the bush Saturday October 29th. This is the 5th Saturday in October (last Saturday), so this event will be IN ADDITION to our normal breakfast meeting (Oct 15 - see breakfast meeting thread here).

We have decided to do this breakfast at a really nice camp spot just south of Cuba off of US 550. Jeff Boggs and I found this spot a two years or so ago and have returned several times. This spot (35.86163, -106.93470) is about a 1 - 1.25 hour drive from NM-528 and US-550. 95% of the drive is paved and the last few miles are unimproved dirt road. You will find more information about how to find the spot below.

Cars can make this one, but only camping trailers with major clearance, like Ali's Kimber style trailer or Frank's Smitty style, can make the one aggressive "dip" that goes through a wash. HDC members will be camping Friday and Saturday nights. I will not be able to attend this one.

Tips on finding the location: If you follow these turns, you may get to Rock Bowl Beach without issue. We will monitor 146.400. There is limited/no cell phone at the beach.

This was once a BEACH. Sand is at the beach!
  • 1 - Start at US 550 & CR 11 (35.84460, -106.96637)
  • 2 - Head to the end of the semi-improved road (NM - CR 11 to BLM Dirt (35.85991, -106.95545))
  • 3 - Cross the wash at this spot. You are headed towards RBB (35.85750, -106.93764)
  • 4 - find your way to this waypoint and turn east/right into the Rock Bowl Beach Campsite (35.86066, -106.93597)
  • Enjoy!
Let me know if somebody would like to volunteered to lead a moderate trail run on Saturday after breakfast. Last year we departed from camp and followed various trails that had some moderate articulation and some tight clearance requirements, if memory serves me correctly. Stock vehicles may have some difficulty with a few spots, so be warned.

Breakfast
Coordinates: 35.86163, -106.93470
Breakfast Time: 1000 - 1130 (UPDATED)
Date: Saturday October 29th 2022h
HAM: 146.400

Optional Camp-out
Date: Friday October 28th and Saturday October 29th evenings.

Since this year's event is a little later in the year, it may be a bit colder. So if camping, be prepared for colder/freezing weather. Although it will be cold in the mornings and evenings, weather looks to be "perfect" for this time of year.

Like the prior years, you are welcome to join some of us heading out Friday the 28th after work and camp out. Others are welcome to join us for breakfast in the morning on Saturday and/or camp with some of us on Saturday evening. This is a family friendly event - dogs, pets and kids are all welcome!

Frank and Jeff will be making breakfast burritos with coffee and fixings - all no charge. You are welcome to bring your own breakfast. Any donations you wish to make will go into the club coffers to be used for our xmas party or donations to off road organizations. Please give your donations to Pappy, who has confirmed he will be there. Thank you all for donating.

Poupon

Confirmed:
Frank
@Poupon (Unable to Attend)

krazykat69

pappy

Dumpolina

alia176

ststephen69s

2manycruisers

Add Dylan thattallhippie

Users who are viewing this thread