Public Land Status (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys. This thread has taken a detour. Any objection if I change the title to something more relevant, like "COVID-19 Public Land Closures?"
No objection from me.

Hey guys. This thread has taken a detour. Any objection if I change the title to something more relevant, like "COVID-19 Public Land Closures?"

Sounds like a good idea.

Good idea. We can post virus land closures, as we learn about them. Could help in knowing where to go when getting out of town for camping or day tripping.
Thanks.

Canyonlands Nat Park is closed until further notice, as of 3/28/2020. No access.

Canyonlands Nat Park is closed until further notice, as of 3/28/2020. No access.
Ya, I'm trying to decide if I want to merge the two Utah threads into this or leave them alone.

But BLM lands open for dry camping, in NM?

As best I can tell, yes. Just developed sites are closed. Same with the Forest Service.

The BLM posted this to their Facebook page. I approve. Other public land managers should be this realistic.

FB_IMG_1585848463780.jpg

Death Valley NP and Big Bend NP are both closed tight.

Good Morning, Forest Road 144 is closed due to seasonal closures and due to COVID19 virus it will remain closed till further notice.

During this busy Easter weekend we are encouraging people to stay home although you are able to disperse camp and because, we are short staffed on fire personal due to COVID19 we are asking people not to have campfires and If you do so you would have to douse it out with a 5 gallon bucket of water and make sure it’s cold to the touch before you leave you camping site unattended.

Safety of our employees, community and visitors remain our utmost priority. Please practice social distancing and areas in our forest must have less than 5 people.

Please visit our SFNF website for new updates on our area.
I hope this information was helpful.

Thank you,
Barbara A. Silva

Good Morning, Forest Road 144 is closed due to seasonal closures and due to COVID19 virus it will remain closed till further notice.

During this busy Easter weekend we are encouraging people to stay home although you are able to disperse camp and because, we are short staffed on fire personal due to COVID19 we are asking people not to have campfires and If you do so you would have to douse it out with a 5 gallon bucket of water and make sure it’s cold to the touch before you leave you camping site unattended.

Safety of our employees, community and visitors remain our utmost priority. Please practice social distancing and areas in our forest must have less than 5 people.

Please visit our SFNF website for new updates on our area.
I hope this information was helpful.

Thank you,
Barbara A. Silva
Thanks for the update. I know this is not the most important item for the SFNF right now , but do you know if and when I can purchase a 2020 fire wood cutting permit? I usually buy a permit in May and cut firewood during the summer. I have called the Jemez District office, but get no answer.Thanks.
Jeff

Thanks for the update. I know this is not the most important item for the SFNF right now , but do you know if and when I can purchase a 2020 fire wood cutting permit? I usually buy a permit in May and cut firewood during the summer. I have called the Jemez District office, but get no answer.Thanks.
Jeff
Hi Jeff,

I don't work for the SFNF, I just copied an email response I got from them as to when/if they were going to be opening up the gates to the forest service roads soon. You might want to email barbara.silva@usda.gov

Hi Jeff,

I don't work for the SFNF, I just copied an email response I got from them as to when/if they were going to be opening up the gates to the forest service roads soon. You might want to email barbara.silva@usda.gov
Thanks, I will try this e mail address.

Forest Service Takes Steps to Protect Communities from Spread of COVID-19

SANTA FE, NM – April 10, 2020 – In alignment with current federal, state and local guidance for social distancing and to ensure the health and safety of its employees, visitors and volunteers, the Santa Fe National Forest (SFNF) has added additional developed recreation sites to the region-wide closure order on occupancy and use restrictions to limit the spread of COVID-19.

On March 30, the Forest Service temporarily shut down several developed recreation sites and restroom facilities across all five national forests in New Mexico to protect the public and employees during the COVID-19 pandemic. In an effort to lessen the risk posed by large groups of people congregating in popular areas, the Forest Service has shut down additional recreation sites. Visit the Interactive Visitor Map at www.fs.usda.gov/goto/ivm or view the full closure order for more information.

While many developed recreation sites are closed, most trailheads are open now or will be when the snow melts, including those that originate on or near developed campgrounds. Additionally, dispersed camping outside developed sites is still an option. The SFNF asks the public to recreate responsibly on the national forest.

“We encourage the public to stay home, stay safe and save lives. But if you do decide to visit the forest, please recreate responsibly by practicing social distancing guidelines and ‘leave no trace’ principles,” SFNF Supervisor James Melonas said. “We appreciate your patience as we work together to keep the forest accessible while doing our part to stop the spread of COVID-19.”

As a reminder, at this time:

• All developed campgrounds on the SFNF are closed to overnight camping.
  • All toilet facilities on the forest are locked.
  • Some picnic/day use sites are closed to the public.
  • Trash collection is suspended.
To protect public health and safety, all visitors to the forest are encouraged to:

• Avoid visiting the forest if you are sick and/or experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
  • Follow New Mexico state public health orders and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance on personal hygiene and social distancing before and during your visit to the forest. Stay at least 6 feet away from other visitors and visit in groups of fewer than five people.
  • If an area is crowded, please search for a less occupied location. Also consider avoiding the forest during high-use periods.
  • Take your trash with you when you leave. Trash overflowing the receptacles becomes litter and can be harmful to wildlife and attract predators.
  • Please use the restroom before or after your visit to the forest. If necessary, bury human waste at least 6-8 inches deep and 200 feet away from water, trails and recreation sites to prevent health hazards to our employees and for other visitors.
For additional information on COVID-19, go to https://www.coronavirus.gov. Information from the U.S. Department of Agriculture is available at: www.usda.gov/coronavirus.

# # #

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender.

Julie Anne Overton
Public Affairs Officer
Forest Service
Santa Fe National Forest
p: 505-438-5320
c: 505-414-6438
julieanne.overton@usda.gov
11 Forest Lane
Santa Fe, NM 87508
www.fs.fed.us
Caring for the land and serving people

Attachments

• 041020_SFNF updated rec closures_FINAL.pdf
    199.4 KB · Views: 213
So basically she echoed the BLM poster. If they would open the gates people would have more space to dispurse and there would be less crowding.

So basically she echoed the BLM poster. If they would open the gates people would have more space to dispurse and there would be less crowding.
Now they want us to disperse camp, after spending years closing off backcountry camping, by closing off little used forest roads. Trying to force everybody into the same areas to camp. We lost all my favorite camping in the Jemez when the MVUMap came out. Now those places would be great for social distancing. We always drove 30 minutes past the last person we saw when looking for a private camp site. I know where I will go for my next stealth camping trip.:idea:

Thanks, I will try this e mail address.
I got a good reply from Barbara concerning fuel wood permits. They are having meetings regarding their plan to issue the permits in May 2020. They will know soon. Both options are via phone instead of in person, either paying by credit card or free. but the tags would then be mailed to applicants. I will check back with them at end of April.

I got a good reply from Barbara concerning fuel wood permits. They are having meetings regarding their plan to issue the permits in May 2020. They will know soon. Both options are via phone instead of in person, either paying by credit card or free. but the tags would then be mailed to applicants. I will check back with them at end of April.
Why not online? I would rather give my CC info to a secure server than a person.

Why not online? I would rather give my CC info to a secure server than a person.
That was not one of the options she mentioned, but CC on line is a better, safer method of payment. I am hoping for the "free permit "option, with no money exchange. I hope they just issue permits, in May.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom