Couple questions about the 65 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
first...i cant seem to find the data/vin plate that has the year of truck made.(i see the one in the engine compartment that has frame number and engine number)

second...what type of disc brake conversion kits for the original axles are out there? i really dont want to change out the axles for another( dont need axles laying around)

thats about it for now..if anyone needs apic or 2 to see what i have to answer my questions..let me know..ill send em right out(guess my online pic adding here is full)

thx paul

My '67 has no plate with month/year on it either. In fact there is NO VIN plate at all, just a frame number on the frame horn and the engine number. From SOR's site I can tell that it was a November '66 production. As for disc conversion I am currently in the process of that right now!! My students will start on that this coming week with parts from a Toyota mini truck disc axle that I gutted in the states this summer and 'Cruiser inner axles (from an '80 or newer '40 series) and 30 spline diff gears that I found in Honduras last weekend.
You can read my post about clearancing the old ball and claw axle in the '40 and '55 series chat. If I had an 1980 or newer axle housing I'd use it though.

Last edited:
let me know how that disc conv goes...one thing id like to do sooner or later.
also want to convert to PS with the easiest kit/procedure out there. out here in bfe,i dont have a large supply of junk yards,so id rather buy a kit that installs new items from the parts store if i can...thx paul

trans

also forgot to mention an automatic conv to replace noisy and well used 3 speed manual. maybe a 700r4 or the like..any suggestions would be appreciated..thx again..paul

I'm not going to power steering or auto so others will need to chime in with that info. I'll be running a 3B diesel which will get turbo'd as well as an H41 tranny into the 3 speed transfer.

rust spot

this is the small spot of rust. do they make replacement panels here in this area?..or is it going to be a generic sheet to fix?..thx paul
Picture 020.jpg

It'll be a generic fix. There are very few '45 parts made though '40 parts work in some cases.

Pudde said:
also forgot to mention an automatic conv to replace noisy and well used 3 speed manual. maybe a 700r4 or the like..any suggestions would be appreciated..thx again..paul
Paul, nice buy. I guess I need to go to elko more often looking for cruisers.
My experience with GM auto trannys has been in other aplications, but I've always seen the TH350 to be the best for almost all projects. i have an electronic auto trans in my 95 impala SS and they don't hold up. Alot of guys will tell you they can be built tough enough for any duty , but that is at 3X the cost of a comparable TH350. If it were me i would go with the TH350.
Bryce

That section of floor pan should be the same as simular years of FJ40s. I was able to get a good section of floor pan for my 63 fj45swb from someone on this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom