Couple of water leaks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
7EA4C65B-B74B-43E4-9FA0-50524B71BED5.jpeg
E0D1DED4-D47D-48E7-9A96-1EAA08A77A95.jpeg
Hey guys

Couple of weird water leaks I’m having trouble tracking down

First is in the middle of the rear hatch right below the 3rd brake light. Pulled off the trim, bolts to the 3rd were tight.
Have a front runner roof rack, all those bolts are tight too

2nd leak is coming inside the left rear quarter panel somewhere. It’s soaking the driver side rear seat belt mechanism so the belts all wet when it’s pulled out

Anyone experienced water getting in any of these places before?

3rd brake light gasket....

Sprayed water directly on the 3rd brake light and no water came through

Seems to come in when spread on the roof

My left rear window leak happens when sprayed directly. I have a new set of weather stripping waiting to go in and going to seal the third brake light with FIPG tomorrow. Looks like we are about to get hammered with rain again in SoCal lol

Clean out your rear sunroof drains. If they are clogged, the water backs up into the tray, overflows, and runs on top of the headliner until it finds a way out, which in your case sounds like the area near the rear seat belt. I'm not sure about the 3rd brake light as I never had that issue.

Drove through a torrential down pour the other day and no leak, went through the car wash and this ...

(I’ve take off the inside trim on the rear hatch)

3FF85FD6-FFC3-4B90-AA1F-95B52EAF455A.png

BADD6A89-4343-48F0-8AC8-FBE1CBA8E266.png

5F7D33BD-20B9-4D57-940E-439E9353521E.png

I've experienced or read about 4 things that could cause this; sunroof gasket, brake light gasket, gaskets/bolts at roof rack feet, and clogged sunroof drain tubes. Id suggest taping over your roof rack feet, brake light, and sunroof and going back through the car wash. If it doesn't leak, then take them off one by one and go through the car wash until you figure out which one it is.

Last edited:
Bumping this up.

After all the rain we have had here, I may just name my rig "The Sieve" cause it leaks like one!

~ I have water coming into the passenger footwell (think this may be windshield related)

~ The 2 motorized rear cargo windows are letting water in. Ive opened them up as far as I can, cleaned all the rubber. Tried applying some 3M silicone paste to the rubber and sealing it shut (just to see if that help) and it still drips causing the drivers side rear passenger seat belt to get wet and the passenger rear floor to get wet

~ Rear hatch is still letting water in as i described in the 1st post. Ive removed the spoiler and the brackets and they are good. Removed the roof rack and ran water in the drip rails and they are good.
It seems to be coming in where the hatch meets the roof. Ive taped that area up and sprayed a water hose up there. It still comes in a little but not as much.

I went to remove the 3rd brake like even though the gasket from the outside looks ok but it won't budge.
Is it held in with clips?

Anyway thats my saga ... need help here before the carpet gets completely trashed or mold sets in

Thanks

Clean out your rear sunroof drains. If they are clogged, the water backs up into the tray, overflows, and runs on top of the headliner until it finds a way out, which in your case sounds like the area near the rear seat belt. I'm not sure about the 3rd brake light as I never had that issue.

I still need to try this, however when i spray water on the roof I'm doing so on the back half of the truck behind the sun roof. So no water is actually hitting the sunroof and the water still comes in

Had water coming in the rear hatch as well. Searched site for solutions as I could not find out where water was coming in from. Removed 3rd brake light and broke the clips too...

I used Permatex silicone adhesive on the inside as well as on the outside of the 3rd brake light. I used a garden hose and poured water all around the 3rd brake light as well as in between the rear hatch and roof area. So far no more leaks.

Check the rubber wiring connector from the hatch to the body. The rubber grommet can pull loose from the white plastic part on the body side and it can leak water in there. Water then travels across the plastic finisher at the top back of the headliner, can go all sorts of places.

The motorized windows have a plastic garnish trim below them. The rubber grommets around the white body clips holding it in usually disintegrate away. Use some FIPG around them. The only issue is you have to remove the vent window completely to get to them. Might as well replace the weather stripping while you're in there too. But that was pretty much my main leak in the cargo area after I sealed the 3rd brake light.

Luis

IG - smitty_schmitz

The motorized windows have a plastic garnish trim below them. The rubber grommets around the white body clips holding it in usually disintegrate away. Use some FIPG around them. The only issue is you have to remove the vent window completely to get to them. Might as well replace the weather stripping while you're in there too. But that was pretty much my main leak in the cargo area after I sealed the 3rd brake light.

Luis

IG - smitty_schmitz
I have been chasing a waterleak and after stripping everything down I have found the clips leaking on the belt weatherstripping. I have new window gaskets on order but it is really the belt weatherstripping clips that are leaking. You say to use fpig but how do you get the belt weatherstripping clips to release. Should I buy new belt weatherstripping as well and still use a little fpig?

Mine popped up fairly easily. I dont exactly remember the entire process in detail when I did it. I used a plastic body panel pry tool to pop them up. After that I cleaned up the area. I put a nice ring of FIPG around the body holes and pressed the piece down evenly onto it. I made sure to use Goo Gone so it got a clean surface.

So I have fixed my water leak. It appears someone put the PS belt wetherstrip on without any sealant or washer. Unfortunately, the replacement belt weatherstripping I got was damaged so I just used those clips. I also added some weatherstrip adhesive to each clip to help with the sealing of those holes. Replaced the widow hatch seals as well while I had he window out. I have also included a few pictures of the rear PS rear sunroof drain routing for reference

C4715621-88ED-47A1-BF5F-8B66774FFC46.jpeg

E5AD188A-573D-4880-A92A-7D9EF39BA2AD.jpeg

BE00F22E-BD42-4F58-875F-ABCF6C3FE596.jpeg

6AEAF2E4-E82B-4DBC-B742-5BF93551A83A.jpeg

A0DF4980-1BF9-42B3-9653-DB5FCA248EB0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom