Couple of mechanical questions on a high mileage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After spending the last 7 years in Florida and AZ, i moved back to the midwest last Fall and last winter was a smack in the face. My 335 hp RWD sports sedan is impotent in the slightest amount of snow. I banged up three of my rims and went through two tires last winter (when i wasnt stuck in the snow or waiting for AAA to tow me out).

Growing up, my friends dad had a 96 Land Cruiser and I loved it. Classic styling and legendary toyota quality and engineering. So when it came time to buy a 4 wheel drive vehicle I knew which one I wanted.

I purchased a 96 TLC with 232k miles on it. Took it over to my lexus dealership while i had it out on a quick test drive for a mechanic to do a quick overview. He said it was strong mechanically and that the only thing he sees from a quick 10 minute visual is coolant that needs flushed and a slow driver side window.

I conversed with the seller for a week before pulling the trigger. He has service records for oil changes like clockwork. He said he can't recall the last time the transmission fluid had been changed but says within last 100k. He doesn't believe he has ever changed the differential fluids, transfer fluids, or the brake fluid. He had the truck from 110k-231k.

My question is would I be opening up Pandora's box by changing these fluids (tranny, differential, transfer, brake)? right now, there are no leaks that I can find. The last thing I want to do is start springing leaks.

Truck has no tow package, never been off road. California truck from 1996-2010. Indiana 2010 - present. Very little rust on the underbody. Truck has served as a soccer mom wagon and dog hauler. The most action it has seen is the midwest snow/winter.

I will be using the truck for winters, leisurely cruises, camping trips (so no real extreme 4 wheeling). These might seem like pretty silly questions but this forum is a valuable resource full of knowledgeable people. I can change fluids on my own, but I don't know Land Cruisers like you guys do.

Appreciate all your input in advance! .......and that's 30 mins of work that I'm getting paid for. Feels good to kick sand in the face of the corporate man!

well if you are in Athens,OH (guess based on your user name) or in that area I would recommend you don't bother with any dealership but take it to someone that knows Land Cruisers. You could start here:
Jim Chenoweth
TLC Performance
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Ph. 740.862.2604

But if you are comfortable diving in, then go all in - drain and fill everything. Inspect the condition of what comes out. Sounds like you will be looking at doing a front axle rebuild soon if that has never been done. Good luck.

ill be in honest in that i was going to take the brake fluid job to the toyota dealership. I'm new to Indy and don't have any tech savy friends to help. I'm comfortable with the other fluid changes on my own. That turkey baster method sounds pretty easy. Is that legit though?

Thanks for the contact info for TLC performance but I currently live in Indianapolis. Search results on the forum haven't turned up any leads for TLC mechanics in Indiana.

A repair facility will have a pressurized brake fluid exchanger/bleeder which makes it very simple and takes out all the air in the system which replacing all the brake fludi.

Did you ever have any luck finding mechanic you liked? I've just moved to Terre Haute and am also in need of a good mech with LC experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom