Could this mean a stuck thermostat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While on the hwy and going 60-65 mph the needle gets close the the gap between the white line and red area....so it gets close to overheating but once i exit the hwy it immediately drops back to the middle if not lower. I can drive around town all day long and nothing. Temp is at normal but once i hit that highway its a different story. Could this mean i have a stuck thermostat?

I would definately start with the thermostat, easy to replace. If it does'nt remedy the problem then you know its not your thermostat and move to other parts of the cooling system.

Sounds more like a clogged radiator or other flow problem than the thermostat. If the thermostat was stuck closed you'd overheat all the time. The only exception would be if the thermostat was stuck about halfway open and it was sufficient to cool at the lower rpms. Most likely the former.

Mine has been doing this, but it seems like I've finally got it under control. I flushed my radiator, and burped it real well... check your timing and try flushing before throwing down any money on it.

from what I have seen a stuck t-stat will cause VERY fast overheating, it will overheat in town, sitting or on the highway.

but its cheap so replace it.....so why not

I would say its time for some rad work.

Nick the Carpenter said:
thermostat sounds like it is stuck in the closed position.Defnity flow problem.

Thermostats for fj62 aren't cheap try 30 bucks, it sounds like what my 62 did, turned out to be the gauge in the dash, pull the gauge out and clean the contacts on back and good as new no problems and zero dollars spent, (except buy new instrument lights since you have everything apart)

Stuck thermostat

My thermostat stuck not that long ago.It sat for several days when i was getting the rear fender wells welded up.Like someone mentionned above it overheated ion the first hill after roughly 4minutes of driving.Pulled over left it running to cool it down.Shut the engine down and check my rad and all was well.The thermostat released it self and i haven't had a problem since.I've logged another 15000km's since the incident.
Best of luck.

your shoping at the wrong place, they are under $20 and I thought more like $12 for OEM

normaly when its the guage problem both the temp and the fuel gauges both spike, the contacts on the fuel gauge are the problem, not on the temp gauge.

Haskins1111 said:
Thermostats for fj62 aren't cheap try 30 bucks, it sounds like what my 62 did, turned out to be the gauge in the dash, pull the gauge out and clean the contacts on back and good as new no problems and zero dollars spent, (except buy new instrument lights since you have everything apart)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom