Could this be the cause of our misfire issues and electrical gremlins? ECU related

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So many threads where people have unsolvable issues, especially with misfires and "trans solenoids" where sensor/solenoid replacement, and wiring harness patching of the typical areas, didn't solve their issues.

Looking into this issue for a while I recently stumbled on this thread on some Lexus forums. I've only read the first couple pages and I saw it's at 106 pages.

The gist of it is that Toyota/Lexus vehicles from the late 1980s to about 2000 had capacitors in the ECU that degrade over time. They often leak acid onto the board or simply burn/corrode after a certain age. It causes all sorts of electrical issues that cannot be traced or solved by parts swapping. Sometimes the capacitors can look ok but be bad, so it's recommended to replace all of them.

All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor) - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

This is starting to make a lot of sense to me. I saw several replies where people tried it and it fixed all of the same issues a lot of us have with our vehicles.

Has anybody here fixed misfire or other electrical issues with a new ECU? Should be noted the repair seems very delicate and requires skill.

Last edited:
Capacitor failures were very common from '99 to '07, mostly from Taiwanese manufacturers. You can read about the causes and impacts online. It would not surprise me to learn automotive ECUs were impacted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom