Could this be a factory soft top truck? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had never thought about it before leafing through an old SOR catalog last night. But the 68 I've been working on has a drop-down tailgate and odd door hinges on the body side with like a half hinge on the top and a full sleeve for a door pin on the bottom. All the body tags are long gone though.

I have no idea what the seats are from and that is an F150 console in there.

Any other clues I could look for to determine if it was an FST rig? It did have an early hardtop on it when the owner bought it. But the top didn't match the truck. Of course neither did the hood and fenders.

The first vehicle I bought when I got a drivers license in 1972 was a factory soft top 69. The tailgate was identical to this one.

Looks like a fst from the pics, has the darth vader light to the right of the glove box, and the hinges are fst only( to aid in quick removal of the canvas doors) The tailgate was fst only, check to see if the lower hinge bolts have built in nuts in the rear sil. Welcome to the low production fst club!

The sill and quarters were replaced when the body and paint work were done. So I can't check that. But yes the "vader" light was right there when she bought it. Unfortunately it's not mine. I took over re-assembling this project when the owner's son (a good friend of mine) started his own side business and just had no time to put it back together. Took me way longer than expected too but it should be back on the road this weekend. She's very excited. It still needs a lot of trim pieces and stuff but it should be good to go for now.

Yeah the hinges definitely sound like soft-door hinges and the tailgate is a good sign. Does the truck have a data plate on it with the model stamped in it? Im not real familiar with the pre-'70 40s but I would think it should have the eye bolts on either end of the dash for the door straps. I think I see a hole there so maybe someone removed them. Cool 40, I like the body color.

Data plates are all long gone unfortunately. Are the holes you are referring to right at the edges where the dash pad should be? it does have a threaded hole on each side there that I don't recall my 79 or 77 having. I like the color too. It's actually the FJ cruiser beige. Which worked out good because I need to touch up a few chips from putting the nose together and I just ordered touch up paint from the dealer. I do wish the bezel was white though.

Cool 40... and equally cool Fox-body Capri... ;)

The sill and quarters were replaced when the body and paint work were done.

cant make it out too well with the dark monitor... but... are the tail lights hanging very low... is the frame from that truck?

I think it's the right frame Johnny, believe the rear quarter were installed to low which would explain why there is no room for the tail lights and why the tailgate looks taller than the tub.

Like everybody has said does appear to be a FST model just with some questionable body work.

I could probably take some photos of the hinges with a tape measure tonight.

The tail lights are actually universal trailer lights in horribly made diamond plate brackets. I didn't bother redoing the brackets because the lights will probably be one of the first things to get changed. I do think the quarters are a little off from stock. I don't know who the body guy was but I know I could have done better. I painted mine and I painted the Capri next to this one in my garage. It looks OK but a few things I saw had me shaking my head. I've just have to keep reminding myself they didn't want a "restored" truck just a decent good looking driver. Which it is. But I would have done it much differently. Of course it will still be in pieces too. And I might be divorced...

And yes this truck is begging for the correct rear lights, emblems, dash pads, seats, etc. But the owner is pretty tapped out. If she likes driving it as much as she likes the idea of driving it I'm sure it will get all that stuff in time. If not I'll probably wind up selling it for her.

Here in NH if it's over 15 years old as long as you've got a bill of sale and an old registration from the P/O you can get a plate no problem. Or if no registration you just need a VIN verification form filled out by the local PD. Pretty easy deal. I did check the VIN on the frame and it matched the old registration.

I'd really love if someone would take some measurements of the tailgate hinges. Since they are impossible to find.
Did we not take those measurements on the red one?

I'd really love if someone would take some measurements of the tailgate hinges. Since they are impossible to find.

I remember not that long ago someone was selling tailgate hardware kits on eBay, those included the hinges. Is that no longer the case?

The bolts certainly aren't but the hinges looked like they might have used pins and bushings like a door hinge. The pins got bashed out of them by someone (probably my friend) so they could be powdercoated. I just used bolts to put them back together. I had zero hardware to put this thing back together. So it's all generic.

other than the tailgate holes all the other holes came with the hardtop model ,the mirrors were mounted on the side of the cowl and were pre drilled ,the holes for the tailgate latches would have captured nuts ,also the footman loops are gone and the holes seem to be filled.but the front door hinges seem correct for an fst.seems like a modified fst .good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom