Cottonland Hunting/Shooting Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m looking for a 9mm if anyone is wanting to unload one. Been looking at the Ruger LC9S, but really anything somewhat compact will do.

Man you must have a line on some cheap ammo..😁....thanks I’ll keep an eye out for one of those

Ended up going with a S&W MP Shield 9mm. Plan to do the first shoot tomorrow. It is crazy how everyone is out of ammo and guns right now. Luckily Academy had a decent stock come in.

Ended up going with a S&W MP Shield 9mm. Plan to do the first shoot tomorrow. It is crazy how everyone is out of ammo and guns right now. Luckily Academy had a decent stock come in.

Daily carry MP in .40. Love it

The night optics subject is a lot to unpack in a single message. I am by no means an expert at the subject but by working in the LE/Mil industry I get to have my hands on toys like this and one of my rep groups also sells a line of night optics.

Thermal and night vision play two different roles at seeing in the dark. Night visions primary purpose is seeing your surrounds and observing. The strengths to night vision is that you can helmet mount them and walk through the woods and see what’s around. Night vision Clip on sights are an option if you want to use your daytime scope at night but night vision clip on sights are $$$. The most popular night vision setup for civilians is the PVS-14 monocular. These are fairly inexpensive and can be used in conjunction with a IR eotech or Aimpoint red dot scope. You can get a weapon mount for a PVS14 but in general night vision optics are not designed to withstand the recoil of a weapon. The intensifier tubes are delicate and precise pieces. There’s something cool though about rocking night vision goggles with an IR laser on your rifle that’s just awesome.

Thermals. This is where the money gets big. Most thermals are weapon mounted stand alone digital scopes. Unlike night vision where you are just are amplifying the amount of visible light, thermals are all digital. So what you are paying for is the digital resolution of a camera. I would steer away from companies like armasight and pulsar. Their products just aren’t as good as the price they sell them at. I would look at Flir or Trijicon, you really can’t go wrong with either brand. Flir just came out with a new line of ThermoSight optics that range from $2-4k. What you are looking for in thermal is the resolution, I would look for one with no less than 320x240, that’s going to be your low/mid range of good quality thermal scopes. Your high end thermal scopes are in the 640x480 resolution range. Resolution equals clarity at distance. Higher resolution sees thing clearly at longer distances.

For your use, I would look at the Flir ThermoSight PTS233($2k) or PTS536($3700). I will say that I have never heard someone complain that they spent to much on a thermal but I have heard many many people wish they had spent more to have purchased a better quality optic.
JTU - digging up an old one, but wanted to know if your thoughts were still the same regarding the recommendations above. If not, could you give us an update on the current status of 'best bang for the buck' thermal optics? I looked for the ThermoSight models above and found very little out there...some places suggesting that they might have even been discontinued.

Thanks!
JT

@fountainhead I’d still recommend the same on thermals, however I believe FLIR has discontinued their line of thermal optics. Trijicon is still the best and I still don’t like pulsar optics that much. I’ve recently been using my nightvision more than thermal scopes due to NV being much more flexible than a thermal scope.

Some recent acquisitions. Sig Emperor Scorpion, Glock 23 and 22 both with Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrels
846B3E6C-8559-43AE-9C14-406A459D3DA6.jpeg

7B41A0DB-F81A-4B13-BDB3-3D8BE6EEEBEA.jpeg

231405C8-F35B-4675-A73E-BB8A9EBDB687.jpeg

New pew pew for army. Some team buddies just got issued for work coming up. This one is personalized from last mob

So far very pleased.

1DB582E3-A9D9-4EE7-AE62-6CB946857BBC.jpeg

So, im thinking about getting into reloading/handloading and was wondering if any of you could offer advice on getting started. Equipment, dies, powder, primers, etc.

Thanks in advance

Anyone got an AR they want to sell? I recently had a bunch of 5.56 given to me (No, they weren't throwing it away at the base). Now I need a weapon to use it in! ;)

So, im thinking about getting into reloading/handloading and was wondering if any of you could offer advice on getting started. Equipment, dies, powder, primers, etc.

Thanks in advance

if you are precision shooting and learning a single stage press is great. Rcbs or hornady would be fine. If you have dreams of loading a lot of pistol and 223 type cartridges for plinking and hoarding then your gonna want a progressive press. My real advice is you are late to the game right now and you can buy all the equipment you want but the components for the loads are none existent right now. Primers are like gold and everything you’ll probably want to load you won’t find primers for. Same can be said for powder. I would take the money you are ready to invest in reloading and just go buy bulk ammo.

if you are precision shooting and learning a single stage press is great. Rcbs or hornady would be fine. If you have dreams of loading a lot of pistol and 223 type cartridges for plinking and hoarding then your gonna want a progressive press. My real advice is you are late to the game right now and you can buy all the equipment you want but the components for the loads are none existent right now. Primers are like gold and everything you’ll probably want to load you won’t find primers for. Same can be said for powder. I would take the money you are ready to invest in reloading and just go buy bulk ammo.

Yeah, story of my life. Sounds like I should just sit on what I do have and wait it out because ammo is scarce around here too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom