Cotter Pin hose clamps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have a way to remove these without a dremel? I bought new clamps and this ones giving me trouble to get off
1E056DC0-B24E-49CE-8298-62B7040C30C5.jpeg

I remembered using needle nose vise grip to twist the pin counter clockwise until it was disassembled.

I mangled mine with whatever I had that could reach them. I started by trying to figure them out, lost patience and switched to destruction mode.

Needle nose pliers into the pin loop and twist. If that doesn’t work use the needle nose to grab the banding and twist to unwrap it, accumulating the banding as you go. After getting a few under your belt it becomes fun.

As all said above. I've often used a thin tool to get into the eye of the pin
and start to unwind it counter-clockwise, then when it's loose pull on the pin and the thin metal strap with needle nose pliers, it will come undone.

FWIW I like to slit the hose lengthwise for a inch or so back in a few positions around the pipe which allows you to peel the hose off the pipe more easily. More important on the thin brass heater core pipes and original T pipes which can be bent easily if you just start yanking on the hose.

Is that a 3FE you're working on?

Is that the oil filter in the background?

they unravel when twisted, like a sardine can

I use a tool shaped like this.
1606796613103.png

And for the purist among us that want to keep it all original I found these:
1606795647412.png

FWIW Toyota still sells the original cotter pin type clamps, don't have the part number however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom