Costway Jerry Can (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you look closely, the welded seam is not recessed like the genuine NATO cans. I have a couple of the ones pictured and they are OK, just not the quality of the real deal.

If you look closely, the welded seam is not recessed like the genuine NATO cans. I have a couple of the ones pictured and they are OK, just not the quality of the real deal.
Good point. I'm in the planning stage, and Something like that could make a real difference.

After using the Scepter MFC's for several years, and dealing with constant leaking issues (when just on the truck or trying to actually use them to refuel) I bought some Wavian cans, and am absolutely blown away with them. Not once have they leaked a drop and they are 100% sealed. I actually carried 10 gallons of gas in in my camper and there was 0 smell. Highly recommended.

The ones that you described (Costway: Shop easy. Save money. - https://www.costway.com/) do not fit in standard carriers. I bought a "basket one" with can and a friend modified it to mount on the spare tire like the old Con Fer one using a jeep mount and converting/fabricating the mounting plate. Painted the Chinese ones blue and use them for water as I am paranoid about carrying gas inside my FJ40.

Painted the gas can the same color as the Mud Sloth. (Changed to a matt khaki=water cans are blue!)

Update: Picture added=still needs new spare tire!

I am going to mount a shelf type carrier and move the license plate and light. That will hold my traction mats. Pics to follow after the Sloth gets back from shop!.

26-5.jpg

Last edited:
Coleman Surplus has unused 1950s jerrycans that I’ve been very happy with. some surface rust but true NATO spec. Interiors are unused and sealed by the cap. Cost is less than 1/2 of the current NATO cans.

I've had some NATO cans for years that I picked up for $10-$15 back in the early 2000's when they were being massively dumped. I love them and still use them to this day. They are great. Well, I needed a couple more and they sure aren't $10 any longer! Coleman Surplus seems to have the best deal on the used ones. However, I found the Wavian cans for not that much more at Atlantic British. I received them today and they look awesome. A brand new, well made version of the cans I love. And they were only $90 for two cans ($45 / can) and shipping was cheaper for me than Coleman ($20 across the entire country). Really good price on a really good can.

Last edited:
I love my NATO surplus cans but I do make sure to filter the gas coming out of them because some do have paint issues and you don't want those flakes in your fuel filter.

I ended up purchasing a couple of the cans off of the Coleman site. I also bought a new, shiny can for $$ which appears to be nearly identical, except for the paint, of course. They appear as advertised, and will serve their function I’m sure. I also built a rack for them to go on my bumper swing out. Simple frame/tray with a retention hoop. I may build a bigger tray, though I have a hard time imagining needing more than 5 gals of extra fuel for my purposes.

53464A68-D154-443F-B787-06CE6D5F4359.jpeg

49D87541-3D14-4170-B4AE-50974017EB34.jpeg

I love my NATO surplus cans but I do make sure to filter the gas coming out of them because some do have paint issues and you don't want those flakes in your fuel filter.
I've never filtered the gas and have seen no signs of debris. And I've had those cans for 15-20 years and they sit outside all year.

^ I'm sure it depends on the cans and whether they may have been repainted poorly by the surplus place. Either way, I think it may not be a bad idea to look inside with a flashlight or to filter it once just to be sure. Not much effort and may save the day. But to each their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom