Costco has Mobil 1 / 15w50 now. Summer oil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet

Skillet
Threads
Costco has never carried 15w50 synthetic before and I am currently running Rotella 5w40 with moderate usage.

Now that it is going to be warmer, what say all of you about puting this in my 1993 with 207k on the ticker?

Too thick?

I run it every summer, and sometimes, all year.

I have run it several summer in a row, one with a UOA at the end, works just fine.

Also saw it in there, but the price was not much of a discount - near $5.50 a quart or something still. Wasn't enough to pull me from the Rotella Syn.

DougM

I don't know how much Wallmart sells it for. But they sell it in one gallon containers which I like. I fill the empty oil containers with used oil to take down to the recycling center.

That's they only product that makes me go to Wallmart...

Regards

Alvaro

Also saw it in there, but the price was not much of a discount - near $5.50 a quart or something still. Wasn't enough to pull me from the Rotella Syn.

DougM

Yea, $4.99 per here.

A little better than the auto stores but I thought I would give it a shot.

I don't know how much Wallmart sells it for. But they sell it in one gallon containers which I like. I fill the empty oil containers with used oil to take down to the recycling center.

That's they only product that makes me go to Wallmart...

Regards

Alvaro

Agreed, walmart is a PITA.

Oil and shotgun shells for the sporting clays. Cheap by the case there.

I do the same thing with the gallon jugs BTW, works great. However, I always have to have the quarts on hand for toppers.

:D

Since you have to buy more than a case (6 pack) to fill the LC, buy one case of 15w-50 and one of the 5w-30 and blend them (4 quarts each) when you fill the LC. It will give you approximately a 10w-40 oil.

:confused:

Benefits?

Faster lube at startup, better fuel economy, better conduction of heat leading to (slightly) lower operating temperatures.

Right after I change oils and use Mobil 1 15W-50, I find that the oil pressure gauge runs a little higher. After a few days I don't notice it anymore.

Do you see the same thing?

Regards

Alvaro

Right after I change oils and use Mobil 1 15W-50, I find that the oil pressure gauge runs a little higher. After a few days I don't notice it anymore.

Do you see the same thing?

Regards

Alvaro

Mine idles at the at the second mark and cruises at the third all of the time with it. Good to hear Costco has it, it's time for an oil change.

I wish Mobil 1 kept their old formula for 15w50 (red cap version). I used to use it in all of my cars and motorcycles. Since the change I can't use it in my motorcycle anymore...

I wish Mobil 1 kept their old formula for 15w50 (red cap version). I used to use it in all of my cars and motorcycles. Since the change I can't use it in my motorcycle anymore...

Please explain.

Change formula?

Motorcycle? Why won't it work now?

Jeb,

They went from a 10.000 mile between changes formula, to a 15.000 mile between change formula. It now has a gold cap instead of a red cap.

Alvaro

Don't you guys find the 15W/50 to be a bit heavy for our trucks?

Doesn't that put a much greater pressure on the head gasket and internal workings?

I'm all for using a heavy oil living in San Antonio with our blistering summers but I've got to shake that bad ju ju feeling of heavy oil.

I've always thought a 10w/40 would be about right but I'm open to opinions. I know the "recommended" weight is 5 or 10/30.

Thoughts?

Toyota recommendation for the rest of the world is 20W-50 for hot climates, so that's what I run in my rig. Toyota recommends 10W-30 for ones operated in the US, so nether is wrong, run what you feel comfortable with. It's been beat to death search some oil threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom