Costa Rican '77 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will be moving to Costa Rica this summer and have been looking for an FJ40 for awhile. I lucked into this '77 from the original owner who has service records dating back to the seventies. Unfortunately, my new passport did not arrive in time and I was unable to pick it up in person, but I will be heading down in a few weeks to drive her for the first time. I am really anxious to get behind the wheel and learn more about these awesome cars and how to go about making improvements while staying as original as (visibly) possible. I am confused by the turn signal lights as I have not found another vehicle with these lights. Any ideas are appreciated!
c8eae85b-615e-4c5d-af59-47d197a967fc.JPG
016b45b2-8100-490f-a704-f7876c36334a.JPG
83347390-12f4-43d1-88dd-771707af1755.JPG
d1287e78-baf1-4121-88f9-1850696a7125.JPG

Congrats on your new 40! Have fun. CR is a great place to live and to drive a 40.

Hey! Pura Vida! Many South American land cruisers seem to have 70 series turn signals. These trucks are really good bang for the bucks, but you need to look over it and look what needs to be fixed-because something always has to be fixed. The head could possibly be cracked, head gasket, cooling system etc. body work is also pretty big, since it it really wet there, and super humid, the cars rust pretty easily, so you may need to do some patch work. There are also probably a lot of jerry rigged parts you will find all over the truck. These things are common, and are fine if you don’t care whether or not it is original- just that these are not maintained to the same spec that US models are. These are often used as farm trucks after all. Many of them use water instead of coolant because it doesn’t freeze there. I have worked with several CR 40 series land cruisers and I think they are pretty cool, but definitely very unique. Ask me anything and I’ll try to respond. Pura vida!

Also, did you have someone look at it in person? I know it’s too late but normally it’s very risky to buy old cars on the internet in an area that preforms sketchy modifications

Hey! Pura Vida! Many South American land cruisers seem to have 70 series turn signals. These trucks are really good bang for the bucks, but you need to look over it and look what needs to be fixed-because something always has to be fixed. The head could possibly be cracked, head gasket, cooling system etc. body work is also pretty big, since it it really wet there, and super humid, the cars rust pretty easily, so you may need to do some patch work. There are also probably a lot of jerry rigged parts you will find all over the truck. These things are common, and are fine if you don’t care whether or not it is original- just that these are not maintained to the same spec that US models are. These are often used as farm trucks after all. Many of them use water instead of coolant because it doesn’t freeze there. I have worked with several CR 40 series land cruisers and I think they are pretty cool, but definitely very unique. Ask me anything and I’ll try to respond. Pura vida!
Hola, thank you for the reply! So 70 series turn signals? Interesting. I appreciate your offer to answer more questions as I am certain to have some😎. My friend who picked the car up for me in San Jose had no issues driving it the 3 1/2 hours to Guanacaste where I live. Other than saying it was a bit slow going, not a lot of power, and uncomfortable for a long drive, it was a lot of fun. It is going to a mechanic today to have all the fluids changed, belts & hoses checked and replaced if questionable, and any other maintenance or light repairs he thinks are warranted, So all of that will be done before I arrive in a few weeks. I am anxious to get behind the wheel! Other than reading articles and watching videos of others upgrading the suspension, adding disc brakes and power steering, and swapping out the front seats all I guess to make it more comfortable and easier to drive, I don’t know how much of this or any modifications I want to do vs. keep original. And I have no idea about the mechanics or if it’s possible to improve power/performance of the existing drivetrain.

Also, did you have someone look at it in person? I know it’s too late but normally it’s very risky to buy old cars on the internet in an area that preforms sketchy modifications
Oh yes, it was checked out by two different mechanics, one my friend brought in and the other who is a retired Toyota mechanic from the dealership in San Jose where the original owner took it for service. They claim that other than the wheels and decals, it is has not been modified. Not being a mechanic the only way I know to spot something questionable or potentially modified is by looking at a repair manual, looking at pics online, and posting queries to folks like you who know a heck of a lot more than me👍🏽👍🏽

Costa Rica - their own Toyota plant, going back to the 70's a hodge podge of parts were used on them. This is why you have drum axles, no heaters, early 70's seats, late model turn signals (although likely replaced by the PO), various colors, and a long list of other things specific to the cruisers built and sold in that market. Welcome to the fun!

Hola, thank you for the reply! So 70 series turn signals? Interesting. I appreciate your offer to answer more questions as I am certain to have some😎. My friend who picked the car up for me in San Jose had no issues driving it the 3 1/2 hours to Guanacaste where I live. Other than saying it was a bit slow going, not a lot of power, and uncomfortable for a long drive, it was a lot of fun. It is going to a mechanic today to have all the fluids changed, belts & hoses checked and replaced if questionable, and any other maintenance or light repairs he thinks are warranted, So all of that will be done before I arrive in a few weeks. I am anxious to get behind the wheel! Other than reading articles and watching videos of others upgrading the suspension, adding disc brakes and power steering, and swapping out the front seats all I guess to make it more comfortable and easier to drive, I don’t know how much of this or any modifications I want to do vs. keep original. And I have no idea about the mechanics or if it’s possible to improve power/performance of the existing drivetrain.
Yea, B series Diesel engines are only 3.0 or 3.4 4 cylinders. They make about 80 hp, but the 3b engines can be turbocharged pretty easily. The B engines are a little more tricky and not as strong, so they can’t run as much boost. I would recommend front discs as an upgrade, but it isn’t necessary. A 2.5 inch lift wouldn’t be so bad either. Those are some of the main things essential to land cruisers I think haha.

Oh yes, it was checked out by two different mechanics, one my friend brought in and the other who is a retired Toyota mechanic from the dealership in San Jose where the original owner took it for service. They claim that other than the wheels and decals, it is has not been modified. Not being a mechanic the only way I know to spot something questionable or potentially modified is by looking at a repair manual, looking at pics online, and posting queries to folks like you who know a heck of a lot more than me👍🏽👍🏽
Also, make sure to closely examine certain spots yourself. Get under the car and look at the inner frame. Also look at the rear quarter panels, and the area under and around the barn doors. Behind the spare tire, the area around the step/rocker panel, the front fenders. Those are some major rust spots.

Costa Rica - their own Toyota plant, going back to the 70's a hodge podge of parts were used on them. This is why you have drum axles, no heaters, early 70's seats, late model turn signals (although likely replaced by the PO), various colors, and a long list of other things specific to the cruisers built and sold in that market. Welcome to the fun!

Drums brakes and no heater has nothing to do with it. Australia Toyota's largest Land Cruise market did not have a from disc brake until the 83 model. Heaters are rare in the Middle East and they received complete vehicles. Roll bars were used in very few markets. Some markets got the J30 three speed thru the 82 model. The three speed is easy to work on with hand tools compared to the four speed. If Toyota wanted to install an H55F in the 83 FJ40 and FJ60 they could have. US was a car and small truck market for Toyota. By the seventies they never looked to expand the Land Cruiser market in the US. Costa Rica may have received 40 series in kit form but never heard where they had actual production plant. Brazil had it own manufacturing plant. The kit form had their own set of VIN issue at the factory that differ from complete vehicles. From what I can tell like the complete vehicle these just the next number and not differ numbers for each market. 75 and later should be able to tell if it's was a kit or complete vehicle by the model number.

Yes ago Paul Pilgrim had the machines to reproduce 40 series body panels. But those he moved from Panama to Costa Rica. Where he got them from originally not sure anyone knows. Not sure anyone knows where Paul is now but sure those he ripoff would like to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom