Costa Rica Fj40 - will not run. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening. Here are the details.

1976 Fj40 with 2f. Rebuilt carb by Carburetor Bob in 2010. New Gas tank in 2003.
Truck had been running great for the last several years. Set the lash 8 months ago along Wil a full tune up.
3 weeks ago I broke down while making a short trip to town. Eventually got it cranked up in a parking lot and got home while backfiring and shuddering like crazy. Replaced the coil and everything ran great.
Several days later I got on the trail and it would not run. As soon as I hit a hill it started stalling out, backfiring, and sputtering.
I get the truck home. Replace points in distributor and set gap, check timing, check carb, check all grounds, check all vacuum hoses, check all fuses, and pull fuel line and run off gas jug.
Fire truck up and it runs great. Drive it around for 20 minutes and everything is good. I park it and go to crank it today and the same original problems. Backfires, shuddering, staling, won’t crank can’t get it to run. It finally backfired and blows a lot of smoke out and I run 6 gallons of gas through it at idle with a high dose of Seafoam. Try and drive it and same
Problems persist.
Carb Rebuild ? Also here are my compression numbers as if two weeks ago.

1-100
2-110
3-100
4-85
5-90
6- ???? got compression to 90 but would not hold. Fell flat after 4 seconds.

I have videos of this but I can’t post them here ??

DE00D814-D4A9-4E4A-841E-247CC7D4DD81.jpeg

65B6A7F6-246C-4FC1-9E9F-1328EB3638A4.jpeg

Those compression numbers seem awfully low and not getting a reading on #6 sounds like maybe a head gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom